View Full Version : Pdoc wants me to take Lamictal for my depression

MellyFishButt
06-26-13, 06:10 PM
For those of you who are taking only for depression, can you share your experience?

For my BP boys and girls, what about you?

sarahsweets
06-27-13, 04:55 AM
I have been taking lamictal for about 9 years and its really been life saver.

Raye
06-27-13, 05:55 AM
This made me feel better for quite a while.
Sadly I think it's run it's course.

Fuzzy12
06-27-13, 06:44 AM
I have BP II, mainly depression. Started taking Lamotrigine in February. It has helped with the mood swings (i.e. my mood swinging from slightly depressed to rock bottom "don't want to live anymore" depressed) but I'm struggling to find a dose that works consistently.

It's supposed to work mainly for depression rather than hypomania and I've read lots and lots of brilliant reviews about it. I think, like Sarah said for many people it indeed proved to be a life saver.

For me, I'm not so sure but I'm still hopeful. Good luck and keep us updated.

Oh and a word of caution. With this med, I'd really, really be careful to not take too high doses too quickly. I started with 12.5 mg and titrated up to 100mg in tiny steps (25mg for 2 weeks or so, everytime). Much, much slower than my GP had recommended. I did get a rash and freaked out that it might be the feared Steven Johnson's rash but apparently, it was something else.

MellyFishButt
06-27-13, 04:17 PM
I remember that Fuzzy. Ya, I still haven't picked it up yet because I am a little worried about adding another pill, especially one that appears to have a lot of side effects. The only thing I know is that I can't seem to stop crying and small things have just been setting me off like my cat died but in reality my husband packed the toaster already and I want toast. And it ruins the rest of my night.....I have no rational emotions right now.

Nibs91
07-02-13, 12:42 PM
I quit the prozac and started the lamictal....so now I'm on lamictal and adderall. I'm up to 75mg and honestly has worked much better than the prozac that I took for 6 months. I'll keep u updated, I'm going to increase to 100mg this week (tomorrow I have an appt.).

EnergizerJen
07-11-13, 04:28 PM
I added Lamictal to my adderall regimen in November, and I must say-the results were amazing for me.

I, too, was worried about adding yet another pill to the cocktail I have each day, but it's def one I won't forget to take...

Within a short time frame, I felt a huge relief...

It has steadily reduced my anxiety/depression/panic to almost nothing.. which is saying a lot for someone with adhd...

I have reduced my benzo intake to almost nothing... Which is such a relief for me.. I've had a hard time adjusting to being dependent on a stimulant, much less adding benzo's..

A welcomed change if I do say so myself..

Perhaps it would be worth a try?

-Jen

Parterxred
07-14-13, 09:24 PM
I used to live in fear of "the rash" and after taking 100mg for months my moods were anything, but stable. I demanded to be taken off of it.

My doctor's answer was to the point: no.

Then she explained that the instability indicated that it was working.

It had been months since any substantial depressive episodes. I hadn't given the medication enough credit.

I'll gladly accept 5 minutes of slight irritation every few hours and the minute possibility of a deadly rash.