View Full Version : Possible Genetic Link for ASD in My Family

Crazygirl79
06-27-13, 12:57 AM
For a long time I thought I was the odd man out in terms of my diagnosis and "differences" so to speak and I often struggled with this even denying that I have Aspergers for over a decade which caused more harm to my life than good but now it seems that the more I delve into things I am finding out that I have several relatives on my mother's side who are connected to ASD, ADHD, Depression and Anxiety Disorders and that I'm not the only family member with these issues...I was never alone, I just thought I was and that's probably because I was too blinded by the pain of my own struggles to look around let alone delve into anything to do with my family and this confirms my personal beliefs which I've had since I was a lot younger that vaccinations did not cause my ASD...

1: I have Aspergers, ADHD, Mild Tics and suspected NVLD.

2: My brother was noted as having ADD traits and he is showing some signs of mild Aspergers and he's a bit on the socially anxious side.

3: My mother was recently diagnosed and treated for an Anxiety Disorder and there are not only elements of Social Anxiety but also some mild impairments with social skills.

4: I have a female cousin who has admitted to have ADHD, Depression and Anxiety

5: I have a male second cousin who is Autistic with an Intellectual Impairment

These are the only people I know of who have definitive labels or are showing signs of the conditions described although I am aware that there are more relatives with issues but I don't know them well enough to know what those issues are or how to describe them..

I have heard and read in the past that ASD can run in families, I'm really interested in looking into this more and if anyone has any information I'd be interested in reading it...

Sel x

Flia
06-27-13, 05:54 AM
Look up chromosome 16 and NPD.

According to research it's not ASD or ADHD that's hereditary, but NPD (NeuroPhysiological Disorders).
This means that a father with only one trait of either Tourettes, ASD or ADHD can have an offspring with all of them (and vice versa).

The latest research suggests that Schizofrenia has hereditary common links with NPD as well.

Crazygirl79
06-27-13, 06:11 AM
Hi Flia.

I've actually read something along the lines of this in the Tourette Syndrome and Human Behaviour by David E. Comings M.D, while it was a heavy duty book it was very informative and it answered a lot of questions about my own "differences" and I also have read that conditions like Schizophrenia are related as well.

My partner's mother also gave me some information about a Professor Joachim Hallmeyer out here in Australia, he has apparently studied the genetic side of thing in terms of ASD/ADHD and he is based in Western Australia which is a state on the other side of the country lol and I was given a link to him and it was suggested that I google him which I shall do tomorrow.

I will also go to a library and borrow the Tourette Syndrome and Human Behaviour book and read it again.

Sel x

Flia
06-27-13, 06:18 AM
Thanks. I'm going to read about Professor Joachim Hall Meyer when I get the time (mailing links to myself is a great way to remember things).

Fraser_0762
06-27-13, 06:25 AM
I have Aspergers and Dyspraxia. (+ Highly suspected ADD)

1) My mum suffers from clinical depression. Not very severe at all, but she has had a few severe breakdowns in the past, resulting in the odd hospitalization.

2) A cousin (mums side) of mines has ADHD written all over her. Whether she's diagnosed with ADHD or not, I don't know. I know she has a diagnosis for clinical depression and treats that with medication.

3) My Gran on my mums side (now deceased RIP) was a chronic alcoholic and major manic depressive. I didn't know her very well. My mum didn't get along with her because of the way she was brought up.

4) My gran on my dads side suffers from clinical depression. Not highly serious (i think), but I think she's been on and off antidepressants over the years.

5) I "suspect" my dad has ADD. Looking at him is like looking at a mirrored reflection of myself. He didn't do very well in school and used to get into trouble with the law a lot. He's not like that anymore, but often mentions the "brain fog" that I experience myself. He's also made some impulsive decisions over the years which has left him in a bit of a financial hole.

6) My sister (mum+unknown) I suspect has ADD with a few hyperactive symptoms. She isn't so much a trouble maker or that hard to deal with, but she's forgetful, she loses things. Forgets to bring things home from school. She hyperfocuses. You can't get her attention when shes in that state. She can also be a little impulsive. She's a "bubbly" sort of character. She struggles to make and maintain friends, so I suspect some mild Aspergers in there as well.

I probably have more family members to add which I just can't think of at the top of my head.

We're an "interesting" family of people to say the least. :umm1:

Illumination
07-28-13, 03:09 AM
The influence of genetics is amazing.

I do not concede vaccinations as causing Autism, although if there was a genetic predisposition, and the vaccination or its ingredients acted as a trigger, it could be argued to be definitively 'precipitating', but not causal in and of itself. Autism is a collection of symptoms affected by different parts of the brain; the opportunity for precipitation is clearly available.

I'm studying psychology, and in class '101' ie the basics, which now includes being required to read biological scientific research, it's made clear that in so many psychiatric disorders, with one notable exception, genetics has a key role.

Twin studies blow my mind. So fascinating to read about, particularly identical twins separated from birth.

Genetics plus environment together... That increases the chances of a latent genetic predisposition being triggered. Twin studies case in point. So, google scholar if u are interested.

Needless to say, genetic 'challenges' associated with me and my family run up and down the tree, and are evident out on other branches. Some we get, some we miss, but with the greater extended family taken as a collective, the genetic links are quite clear.