View Full Version : Long term effects of Methylin on adults, substitutes for pregnancy

astronomyjunkie
06-29-13, 04:38 PM
I've been taking one 10 mg of methylin 2x daily for a little under a decade, starting in my early twenties. Strangely, rather than building up a tolerance I've noticed that I've gradually become more and more sensitive to the drug. When I take it in the morning I notice the effects literally within minutes; it used to be far more subtle. When it wears off at about three in the afternoon, the rebounds are more extreme and long-lasting.

Presently I am more productive and happy than I've ever been in my life. I love my job as a sixth grade teacher and am very good at it. I plan my dosages so rebounds don't affect my career or social life. However, now that I want to have a baby I thought I should probably check with my doctor. I called him, and he said I should stop taking it at the same time I stop contraceptives, as well as the 300 mg of Wellbutrin.

I was sort of surprised about the Wellbutrin because I know of several women who remained on it throughout their pregnancies. I have scheduled an appointment with an OBGYN to get a second opinion, and until then I have cut my methylyn dosage in half. So far I'm not suffering too badly, but I don't feel entirely like myself and am worried I'll revert back to the wreck I was before I was on the medication. On the other hand, I'm worried that staying on the drug will just make me more and more sensitive to it.

Has anyone here taken methylin for more than a decade and noticed any long term effects? Is there a substitute drug that's safe to use during pregnancy? Thanks!

Blackstar
02-04-14, 03:48 PM
hows things now ?