View Full Version : What do I REALLY need?

TazsDad
07-02-13, 06:52 PM
For two years in a row, arsonists and mother nature have caused me and thousands of others to evaluate what to take in an evacuation and what can be left behind. I live in Colorado Springs, CO . Last year, the "Waldon Canyon fire" burned hundreds of home in my neighborhood. I was evacuated for 3 days. This year, the "Black Forest fire" caused even more damage, and even though I was not directly in the "danger zone" , one has to give some thought to evacuation.

The inspiration this has provided is to force me to look at what I really need , what I could live without if it burned up in a wildfire. There's a LOT of stuff that I have that I could live without.

Since I'm a clutter freak I have been working occasionally to reduce and recycle my stuff. My apartment is a huge mess, and I have found it overwhelming.

In the last few weeks, I've devoted myself to spending an hour everyday doing some decluttering work. It has been working. Another thing I've been doing is to bite off smaller chunks. Let's say I look at a pile of stuff that is totally out of place. I allow myself to grab just one or two things and put them where I belong. This idea of taking "small bites" in concert with not feeling like I have to work to completion of a task has been paying off dividends.

The MAIN dividend is the positive attitude I get from actually DOING something about this mess.

I hope this gives someone else some ideas and inspiration.

dresser
07-03-13, 02:10 PM
thanks Tazsdad going to use your blurrrp seeing how you got some of the stuff out of
MY mind, quiet too never heard you come in lololol stay well thanks again of course Im going to add new stuff.lolololol

Lunacie
07-03-13, 02:43 PM
I'm guessing you have more warning time with these wildfires than with
tornado warnings? More time to throw things in the car before evacuating?

We live in Tornado Alley, south-central Kansas, and we keep a backpack
ready-to-go for each family member, packed with a couple of changes of
clothing. When there's a warning for our area we throw in our meds very
quickly, grab the dogs and a can of dog food, and we head for the storm
shelter. There's no way to save much of anything.

TazsDad
07-03-13, 02:58 PM
I'm guessing you have more warning time with these wildfires than with
tornado warnings? More time to throw things in the car before evacuating?

We live in Tornado Alley, south-central Kansas, and we keep a backpack
ready-to-go for each family member, packed with a couple of changes of
clothing. When there's a warning for our area we throw in our meds very
quickly, grab the dogs and a can of dog food, and we head for the storm
shelter. There's no way to save much of anything.
Mostly, we get more warning than what you're talking about. But last year, WHILE THEY WERE DOING A PRESS CONFERENCE, the fire behind them jumped a major forest service road and started hauling booty north, along the east side of the Front Range. The evacuation orders were pretty immediate. That "road jump" is where and when that fire burned hundreds of homes, and 2 people died.

I stood on a hill near my apartment, and could see the fire moving my way, roughly a mile away.

BUT... the important thing is it helped realize what was important to me.

:)

Lunacie
07-03-13, 03:04 PM
Sorry, I derailed myself earlier. I think you did something smart in starting
to de-clutter in small bites, not so overwhelming to face that way and feel
like you'll never get done. Bravo.

SquarePeg
07-04-13, 09:34 AM
Now your post has just made something in my head "click". I left the UK ten years ago, we had a lovely big house and also a 3 bedroomed caravan. Now with a family of 4 staying in the caravan you can imagine that there isnīt much room for anything other than clothes, food and basics.

When people ask me if I miss the UK, I always reply that itīs strange that I donīt miss my big house but I do miss the caravan very much.

Now I realise that maybe itīs because there was no clutter, it was a very simple way of life, although we only stayed weekends and school holidays. It always felt so relaxing and we never missed anything. Me and my husband often remarked that when the kids were off hand we could actually see ourselves living in the caravan full time.

TazsDad
07-05-13, 01:22 PM
@SquarePeg... I've had similar experiences while moving and staying in temporary housing; whether it is a motel, or temporary apartment. Life is simpler , I have less chores to do. Less stuff to manage.
At this time, I live in an apartment. I don't have to cut the grass, paint the fence, plant trees, fix the furnace , etc....

Now my challenge is to simply de-clutter and just plain have less stuff.

Thanks,

Pat

SquarePeg
07-05-13, 05:17 PM
Thing is I never missed my stuff either. The crap I seem to hold onto most is paperwork!