View Full Version : IEP/504 plan

jrigone
07-03-13, 10:14 PM
My daughter is 11 yrs old going to 6th grade (middle school). We do have a 504 plan for her, but we seem to always have some issues with the school setting up certain accommodations (and getting the teachers to follow it). This pat year we requested that the school do a complete evaluation throughout the full eval and classroom observations they talk about social issues (or lack there of). My question is what do you think is a reasonable accommodation for her. Don't get me wrong she isn't a behavioral problem, but she is a loaner and has no problem sitting by herself being self entertained. She needs a nudge to go play with the other kids. For the most part her academics are fine, I just don't know how to assist her (or what to ask from the school to assist her).

zette93
07-04-13, 01:13 AM
I have heard of the speech therapist running a social skills group or "friends club" or "lunch bunch". Not sure how prevalent this is.

Ms. Mango
07-04-13, 09:44 AM
I have heard of the speech therapist running a social skills group or "friends club" or "lunch bunch". Not sure how prevalent this is.

Our school does this once a week.

jrigone
07-04-13, 10:47 AM
at her elementary school the old 504 coordinator (left to take a position as school psychologist) last year (2011/2012) made mention to doing something, but never sent any paperwork home as she promised on more then 1 occasion. This woman was always trying to not add accommodation to her 504, would set up meetings and when we let her know we can't make the meeting at that time she would try saying "I feel that there isn't any changes that are going to be made/needed, we can still have the meeting then and I will send home the papers for you to sign and send back".

I contacted the coordinator at the new school to try to set up a meeting with her she said she will contact me in Aug just before the school yr starts. I replied back to let her know/remind her my wife works for the school district and can't come in the week before school starts, because she needs to be at her school getting the kitchen set up

jrigone
07-04-13, 10:56 AM
and haven't heard back from her as of yet. I sent the email out about 3 weeks ago. I don't know if she was trying to wait for the class schedules to be made to try and include the teachers at this point or not.