View Full Version : Mindfulness and spirituality

Kunga Dorji
07-04-13, 10:58 PM
Following on this paper:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2827240/#

Hardly surprising:

Logically speaking the mind wandering wandering from subject to subject, losing train of thought, and becoming sufficiently overwhelmed to lose track of cause and effect is the absolute inverse of mindfulness.

In fact it was when my doctor called some of my behaviours "mindless"- that the penny dropped that ADHD and mindfulness are, in fact antonyms, and I started actively pursuing mindfulness myself.

Overall the paper has too many abbreviations in it which appear not to be fully explained anywhere that is easy to find "personality dimensions of SD, ST, HA, NS, and C."- are examples, and the paper could have done with better definitions of TCI and KIMS scales.

This sort of approach starts to get pretty exclusive- and render the papers impenetrable to all but initiates. Is this approach deliberate?

The stuff on "self transcendence" is extraordinarily interesting:

"Self-transcendence is a character trait associated with an experience of being part of something greater than oneself, a relationship of self to the universe at large. Individuals low on ST are described as self-oriented, materialistic, irritable, controlling, serious; individuals that score high on ST are described as being judicious, idealistic, transpersonal, faithful and spiritual. The ST construct reflects a non-religious yet spiritual dimension of personality. The positive role of elevated ST in coping with aging, illness or end stage of life is well documented

The positive correlation of ST with mindfulness may reflect the necessity to ‘step out of oneself’, to adopt a meta-cognitive stance in mindfulness, and the relationship of ST to such meta-cognition. ..........Further work is needed to better understand why ST is elevated in ADHD (we speculate that an over-reliance on right hemisphere processing is a mechanism) but the findings suggest that it might prove to be a useful feature for learning or maintaining a mindfulness practice. An elevated ST in ADHD might make adopting a meta-cognitive stance easier (despite the attentional difficulties) and that might foster greater success when compared to other forms of behavioral intervention. ST is another aspect of character that may increase as a consequence of mindfulness training and when complemented by elevated SD, is known to be associated with well-being. Further research on mindfulness training and these two constructs of character are needed"

My observations
1) A strong right brain dominance is accepted in ADHD.
Most of the population is strongly conditioned into Left brain dominance, and ordinary individuals have exceptional difficulty accessing the global awareness and awareness of unconscious processes accociated with right brain thinking.

Right brain dominance is associated with artistic and creative skills, and is a strong element of the consciousness exhibited by people of high levels of spiritual attainment.

"individuals that score high on ST are described as being judicious, idealistic, transpersonal, faithful and spiritual."

-- and this correlates with the comment Thom Hartmann made in the introduction to "The Edison Gene" about ADHD individuals being regarded as old souls and holy people in India.

-- only thing is--- he got there 20 years earlier!!- by intuition!!!
HA!

Now on Spiritual matters- we all know that ADDers can be very difficult to deal with.
It is worth reading William Johnston's book "The Mirror Mind" on the correlates between Zen and Catholic models of spiritual growth.

People choose different paths, some based on logic, some based on discipleship, and some based on affect (there are a few others as well).

The interesting issue is that the path described as the "path of affect" is the one that fits ADDers best (after all we do have "deficient emotional self regulation). However those progressing on the path of affect fluctuate from sates of very psotive, inclusive behaviour to serious relapses and "dark nights of the soul".
Well that sounds familiar too!

meadd823
07-05-13, 12:00 AM
I have always felt as if I used the subconscious portion of my brain more often than most - I never thought of it being associated with my ADHD but figured my tendency to use the non-verbal portion of my brain had to do with my dyslexia more than my ADD - Sort of wonder if being dyslexic and ADD sort of ended up giving me a double whammy so to speak.

daveddd
07-05-13, 10:37 AM
it makes me think of the 'accepting a power greater than ourselves' step of AA

there is no doubt in my mind the traits the founder of AA was thinking of when he made the 12 steps, are the same traits the get us a dx of "adhd"

it seems that part of my brain is so shut down, it took my expressive language with it (dyspraxia, or whatever its called)

i really need to open my mindfulness book

thanks for the post