View Full Version : I picked up "Delivered from Distraction"

mustFocus
02-16-05, 04:04 PM
...and immedately jumped to the self evaluation chapter. It has 128 questions related to their experiences with thousands of ADD people. I answered an emphatic yes to about 120 of them. One of the questions was, "Did you immediately jump to this section?"

The best thing about the questions is that, unlike other quizzes, many of them focused on some of the positive traits of ADD like intuitiveness, sense of humor, generosity, etc.

I might bring the book with me to my councelling session tomorrow. I've been reluctant to force the diagnosis but the more I read, the more sure I am that ADD is a big part of my personality.

I'll post some more comments on the book when I've had a chance to read more chapters.

Ian
02-17-05, 01:17 AM
Cool.. keep us posted.
Ian

KnittingJunkie
02-17-05, 04:11 AM
Dammit! That sucker's been on hold at the IC Library for like...how long have I been coming on here? It's been on hold since New Year's or thereabouts. I wanna read that.

...and immedately jumped to the self evaluation chapter. It has 128 questions related to their experiences with thousands of ADD people. I answered an emphatic yes to about 120 of them. One of the questions was, "Did you immediately jump to this section?"

The best thing about the questions is that, unlike other quizzes, many of them focused on some of the positive traits of ADD like intuitiveness, sense of humor, generosity, etc.

I might bring the book with me to my councelling session tomorrow. I've been reluctant to force the diagnosis but the more I read, the more sure I am that ADD is a big part of my personality.

I'll post some more comments on the book when I've had a chance to read more chapters.

Way Too Flighty
05-07-05, 01:32 AM
Delivered From Distraction is an excellent book!

exeter
05-07-05, 02:35 AM
Dammit! That sucker's been on hold at the IC Library for like...how long have I been coming on here? It's been on hold since New Year's or thereabouts. I wanna read that.
Go to Borders, find a comfy chair, buy a cup of coffee (or whatever suits you), and go read it there. :P

auntchris
05-07-05, 10:32 PM
I love the new changes in the avatars KJ and Ian.

I have Driven to Distraction. I remember Andrew saying it was one he has in his library, so that was a clue for me it was a good book. Now, the problem. I have a hard time read and comprehending the darn thing. I know I am not lazy, stupid or crazy or am I? I wouls like to be able to for once remember something after reading.

Does anyone highlight or right in their books on ADD? I havent yet but I feel the need to, or to write in the margin if there is any room. Have big handwriting messy to at times.

?_Reality
06-06-06, 02:39 PM
I just checked this book out from the library and it is amazing how accurate it is! The evaluation checklist is spot on and some of the stories are very similar to mine.

I HIGHLY recommend every member here checkout this book. It's like reading your very life story it's eerie...

Scattered
06-06-06, 04:20 PM
I love the new changes in the avatars KJ and Ian.

I have Driven to Distraction. I remember Andrew saying it was one he has in his library, so that was a clue for me it was a good book. Now, the problem. I have a hard time read and comprehending the darn thing. I know I am not lazy, stupid or crazy or am I? I wouls like to be able to for once remember something after reading.

Does anyone highlight or right in their books on ADD? I havent yet but I feel the need to, or to write in the margin if there is any room. Have big handwriting messy to at times.Hey Chris, if you have trouble reading it buy like the authors they have a short question/answer book called Answers to Distraction with tons of information in a more ADHD friendly style -- you just look up what interests you and several of their books are on audio tape now, but that is a better medium for you.

Scattered

auntchris
06-06-06, 09:17 PM
Hey Scattered

Thanks for the great idea. My problem is that I was not " un " diagnosed bythe neuropsychologist ADHD, I was diagnosed Mild Neurocognitive Disorder due to Epilpsy.

I was mad about the diagnoses because I wanted an answer to my question and I didnt get it. What in the world does that dx mean any way. To me and others I have talked to it seems like a cop out answer. So I have a hard time concentreating on something like the book Driven to Distraction when I dont even know if pertains to me.

I know that sounds like a very shallow way of thinking . Thanks for answering me I will take you advice and look in to that idea. Thanks.

Iwalani8
06-12-06, 12:50 AM
i just had this book sent to my dad, but he still has to finish the first one, so i borrowed this one. i am very excited to read it. and i have the time to do it since school is out.

hopefully i'll get thru the whole thing!

chazz
06-12-06, 03:23 AM
I got a copy of Delivered from Distraction and have found it to be really helpful. I tend to jump around with books like that, and fortunately you can do that with it. I like to write and underline in my books. I bought them, so I can do what I want with them. Underlining and making notes helps me to find information I need quickly. I also like to use post-it flags to mark where things I find really helpful are.
If you are having trouble reading it you might try listening to it on tape. Sometimes it is easier to understand and absorb information when you hear it.

Hudson85255
06-12-06, 01:49 PM
I found the Hallowell book excellent. His Driven to and Delivered from are both good.
My assessor "trashed" two others that I had found helpful (and I was / am a bit disappointed in his attitude): Sari Solden's book on Women and ADHD (title I forget) and Gabor mate's Scattered Minds (which was bang on for me in describing family relatioships).
I recommend both these latter two, but from what I can see on the 'net and in doctors' training and minds, Hallowell gets the big prize.
(Theres' some sort of acclaimed "Harvard protocol" that hallowell adheres to, I think, and which seems to be the basis for diagnosis/study... )
Anyway, the book is worth reading, even if jumping from page to page, as well all do (I sometimes find it is clearer to read upside down, as then I really have to force my eyes to stay onthe right line).
Hey. I think I'll ask about that.
Hudson

EYEFORGOT
06-12-06, 02:21 PM
Hey Chris, if you have trouble reading it buy like the authors they have a short question/answer book called Answers to Distraction with tons of information in a more ADHD friendly style -- you just look up what interests you and several of their books are on audio tape now, but that is a better medium for you.

Scattered
I hadn't heard of that book Scattered. Thank you for mentioning it. That sounds right up my ADD-mind's alley.

Scattered
06-12-06, 04:29 PM
Eyeforgot, I really liked their Answers to Distraction, even though I'd read their other books too -- lots of good information in digestable portions.

Chris, one of these days they're going to have to redo the current categorization system. They're finding so many things that overlap and may be parts of the same large spectrum disorder. I'm getting more pragmatic in my thinking about all this these days -- find what helps both medically and non medically (therapy, coaching, structures and strategies, etc) and don't worry too much about the label. What works, works. One day the diagnosis may more follow the treatment than the other way around.

Tom Brown in his books Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults breaks the main diagnoistic clusters down this way based on the work of Bruce Pennington (2002) who suggested a new framework to integrate emerging neuroscientific understandings of psychiatric disorder suggesting three clusters of syndromes: disorders of motivation, disorders of action regulatoin, and disorders of language and cognitive development.

Language and Learning
Expressive Language Disorder
Receptive Language Disorder
Reading Disorder
Mathematics Disorder
Disorder of Written Expression

Arousal and Motivation

Dysthymia/Depression
Anxiety Disorders
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Bipolar Disorder
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Substance Abuse

Social-Emotional Regulation

Asperger's Disorder
Oppositional-Defiant Disorder
Conduct Disorder
Tourette's Disorder

Anyway, just giving you an idea that the way things are categorized continues to change -- from what you say the doctor is still talking about a neurological issue -- so the problems and perhaps even some of the treatments may overlap.

Scattered