View Full Version : Briar Maclean, Boy Hero RE School Bullying!

Don S.
07-07-13, 03:54 PM
School bullying is an important issue regardless whether a child suffers from one of the various emotional afflictions discussed on this fine forum or not. This post is for the benefit of any who might not yet be familiar with a school bullying incident last month in a school in Calgary, Alberta. A seventh grade student, thirteen-year-old Briar Maclean, came to the rescue of a classmate being terrorized by bullies, one of whom pulled a knife on the child. What happened next might leave many speechless and outraged, which was my initial reaction as an anti-school bullying advocate. However, I eventually calmed down and decided to go easy on the school administrators for the reasons I give in my introduction to my links to a news article and a video featuring the boy on a news show. Hopefully, the school administrators were secretly proud of the youngster as was his mother and most people.

If any are interested, here is the link to my short introductory article on my school bullying website:

http://wwwdnschneidercom.xbuild.com/#/links-page-97/4577883732

Fraser_0762
07-07-13, 04:01 PM
There's only one way to get a bully off your back and it doesn't involve going to a teacher!

SquarePeg
07-07-13, 04:11 PM
well a school canīt be seen to condone heroics, as they would have a lawsuit on their hands if rescuer was injured. Police always issue the same statement and always advice the public to call the police rather than tackle criminals. Secretly though everyone loves a hero.

I used to tell my kids to tell a teacher if anyone ever hit them. Well I soon realised that that rarely works so I told them to hit back harder but to never hit first. Exceptions are if you see someone being bullied, then feel free to deal with them as you see fit.

Don S.
07-07-13, 04:34 PM
Well, John Halligan, a former IBM executive turned professional anti-school bullying lecturer after the tragic loss of his son Ryan (age 13) to suicide in the wake of school bullying and Dr. Joel Haber, a clinical psychologist who is an expert on school bullying and author of Bullyproof Your Child for Life (reviewed on my website), both stress the important role of bystanders in school bullying situations. Both criticize the usual inactivity of bystanders and label it a critical factor in allowing bullying to occur and reoccur.

In this case, we have a bystander who did intervene and because of “school policy” is chastised for it! Even if the school policy is prudent, it must be recognized that there are times rules not only should be broken but must be broken in situations like this one which no policy could have foreseen.

I’m not saying that this boy or anyone is under an obligation to risk serious injury to himself or herself, only that it should be recognized that Briar courageously chose to do so and should be hailed for it, not reprimanded!

Fraser_0762
07-07-13, 04:53 PM
You're correct. But that's just the way it goes. It's always been that way.

The school bully gets away with his/hers antics time and time again, but as soon as somebody summons up the courage to say "no more", they fall through the pit holes of the school ruling system.

They've always had a system in place that supports and protects the bullies over the vulnerable.

Don S.
07-07-13, 05:22 PM
Here is the link to the video with Briar MacLean if any rather not go through my website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ammvSP57Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ammvSP57Q)