View Full Version : gelotology

Blanched Dubois
07-08-13, 11:59 PM
A Look at Humor, Laughter, Tickling and, of course, the Brain

I haven't pasted the whole article just some points i find of interest as i'd rather laugh than do anything else ( well ALMOST anything else, * cough* erm, yeah)

So I am Obviously not a scientist or professional healthcare practicioner i'm just an astrologer/reiki master and i think studies on the effects of laughter on the healing of certain brain injuries along with sound/color healing sessions, real cranial sacral ( it is not massage and it is not just 'the head' it's actually very specific and VERY relaxing, the alternatives to sterile body function talk but still Laughter Yoga now is very much 'in' - long ago Norman Cousins made laughter for terminally ill patients a requisite daily routine to heal the body and the mind and spirit...The whole article is very interesting and i wonder if anyone cares about this stuff except me??

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/2053

"Dr. Shibata of the University of Rochester School of Medicine said our neurons get tickled when we hear a joke. The brain's 'funny bone' is located at the right frontal lobe just above the right eye and appears critical to our ability to recognize a joke. Dr. Shibata gave his patients MRI scans to measure brain activity. Dr. Shibata tried to find out what part of the brain is particularly active while telling the punch line of a joke as opposed to the rest of the joke and funny cartoons in comparison to parts of the cartoon that's not funny. The jokes "tickled" the frontal lobes. The scans also showed activity in the nucleus accumbens. Activity in the nucleus accumbens is likely related to our feeling of mirth after hearing a good joke and our "addiction" to humor (9). While his research was about humor, the results could help lead to answers and solutions about depression. Parts of the brain that are active during humor are actually abnormal in patients with depression. Eventually brain scans might be used to assess patients with depression and other mood disorders. The research may also explain why some stroke victims lose their sense of humor or suffer other personality changes. The same part of the brain is also associated with social and emotional judgement and planning.

Laughter is a complex human behavior that occurs unconsciously. While we can consciously inhibit it, we don't consciously produce laughter. That is why it is very hard to laugh on command or to fake laughter. We know that many sensations and thoughts trigger laughter, and that it activates many parts of the body. While we know that certain parts of the brain are responsible for certain functions and tasks, it seems that laughter cannot be traced to one specific area of the brain. Furthermore the relation between laughter and humor is not understood, despite their evident connection.

Humor plays a powerful and unique role in human life with wide-ranging effects on many aspects of functioning. Humor can tie people together, help us cope with daily stress, and have a positive effect on the immune systems (5).Hopefully, uncovering the brain's specific response to positive stimuli like humor and laughter may lead to new therapies for depression."

Unmanagable
07-09-13, 12:24 AM
You can tickle my neurons, but don't f*** with my feet!!!!! :lol:

There was a laughter yoga class being offered about 2 yrs. ago, but I was working when they had it.

I heard a lot of ladies praise it.........and none of them could talk about it without the belly laughs. lol

Sounds like fun.

Blanched Dubois
07-09-13, 01:06 AM
You can tickle my neurons, but don't f*** with my feet!!!!! :lol:

There was a laughter yoga class being offered about 2 yrs. ago, but I was working when they had it.

I heard a lot of ladies praise it.........and none of them could talk about it without the belly laughs. lol

Sounds like fun.

i always wanted to try a class - and yah i think i could handle belly laughs :p

SquarePeg
07-09-13, 02:05 AM
Here is Spain the government paid for Laughter Therapy Workshops a few years ago. Loads of my friends went and loved it.