View Full Version : stress eating

sominl
07-09-13, 07:13 AM
Hey...
i have problem i feel more hunger in stress or tension...
In my exams day i feel hungry a lot every time and due to eating a lot i become over weighted.. please suggest me how i can control on this..?"

Fuzzy12
07-09-13, 07:22 AM
I have the same problem. I have always used food to control my emotions, including stress.

The obvious solution is to minimise stress or your ability to deal with stress. Maybe you could think of alternative coping mechanisms. Apart from that, it might help if you keep ready healthy snacks, like fruits, salad, cheese, etc. When I binge eat, I crave high calories, high sugar food but sometimes it helps to reduce the binge if I just eat a lot of something healthy.

tudorose
07-09-13, 07:33 AM
One food I binge on (when I can get a nice one) is watermelon. It's good coz you get the sugar hit plus re-hydrated at the same time.

Probably not good to eat a watermelon right before an exam though coz then you might need to go pee.

Before exams (a long time ago for me) I used to listen to my walkman up really loud. That used to help. Do you have any other distractions you can use for when you're stressed?

SquarePeg
07-09-13, 09:40 AM
Well this isnīt a quick fix but I had psychotherapy 25 years ago, I had bulimia but didnīt go for that reason). As a result I donīt have emotional attachment to food.

My daughter put on loads of weight, pre ADHD diagnoses, especially around exam time, like yourself and times of stress (usually school stress). She started seeing a psychologist and talking about her problems (took her a while because she was in denial about having any problems at school and blamed everyone else for making her angry, anxious and stressed.

After a few months of seeing him she no longer overate or bit her nails, which was pretty quick progress. Later on she got a diagnosis for ADHD from a psychiatrist.

So best long term way to deal with emotions is good therapy.

SteveEk
09-25-13, 06:38 AM
I think over weight is not due to overeating it's because of the hormonal imbalance due to tension and stress and imbalanced routine.

dvdnvwls
09-25-13, 12:32 PM
I think over weight is not due to overeating it's because of the hormonal imbalance due to tension and stress and imbalanced routine.
Sometimes hormonal imbalance is a factor; sometimes it really is simple over-eating. Depends on the person. For me, not over-eating is a simple choice, only it's a choice I have to make in a conscious way or I start doing it again.

phantasm
09-25-13, 04:13 PM
stress eater right here too! UGH!
I am awful and know when I'm stress eating, yet do it anyway.

Totally agree with Fuzzy.

As far as keeping healthy snacks around, I would add that you need to have your very favorite fruits and veggies around to snack on. If you look forward to eating a healthy item, then you will most likely eat it and not grab the junk. Also, cut it up after you buy it. That way you can just grab and go, convienence is everything when you are being impulsive.

Keep in mind that the more you eat something the more you'll crave it. So eat fruits and veggies, and you will start to crave them more than the junk. It really works, trust me!

Most importantly, drink a glass of water in between each meal. This is my daily routine:

1 glass of water
Breakfast
1 glad of water
snack
1 glass of water
lunch
1 glass of water
snack
1 glass of water
dinner
1 glass of water
snack / dessert
1 glass of water

Drink any size glass of water, it doesn't have to be 8 oz, just drink whatever you can handle. This has helped me in sooooo many ways.

It gives me time to understand if I am really hungry or just thirsty
it fills me up, so I'm less likely to crave
it helps your digestion
overall good for your body/skin/hydration etc.
For me, stress eating is a curse. And an ongoing battle. But these two methods help stop me in my tracks.

superstressed
09-26-13, 04:21 PM
My stress is off the charts right now and I'm eating everything in sight. Afterwards I feel like crap. I currently go to therapy for anger management, so we haven't gotten to stress eating yet. My file is thick like a phone book. I feel like I will never get any help.

dvdnvwls
09-26-13, 04:32 PM
My stress is off the charts right now and I'm eating everything in sight. Afterwards I feel like crap. I currently go to therapy for anger management, so we haven't gotten to stress eating yet. My file is thick like a phone book. I feel like I will never get any help.
Well, help for anger management is still help, isn't it?

If you feel like you'll never be problem-free - sorry, but you're probably right about that. If some lucky person solves all their problems at once, they'll have new problems by lunchtime the next day anyway.

But it is totally possible to fix a lot of your problems. Don't imagine that it can't be done; don't underestimate your own capability. (Just also don't underestimate the world's capability for coming up with new problems for you.) :)

Good luck in everything!