View Full Version : Fibro and the Flu

tudorose
07-09-13, 07:49 AM
I don't get many colds. The last time I got sick I had 2 colds in the space of one month and that was in Feb 2012. Before that the previous cold was in 2010.

This one is different though. I've had a fever for 2 days (at the moment it's 38.3 degrees C) and feel really awful. Everything aches real bad - more than normal and I've spent the last couple of days feeling awfully nauseous - more than normal and I only just managed to eat a full meal tonight - because DD cooked it and it was really good but it took me about an hour. When I came home from work early yesterday it took 2 hours under the heater with the electric blanket on to stop shivering. Then I couldn't eat dinner.

I know that people compare fibro to the flu but this is absolute hell. Makes me wonder what I've been complaining about all these months. I just want someone to put me out of my misery.

Is the flu worse when you have fibro or am I just whinging? It's winter and I'm totally drenched in sweat. At least on the plus side I'm finally not feeling frozen!!!!!

Andi
07-09-13, 08:11 AM
Fibro and flu, cold or fever combined is hell. With FMS one can attempt to explain it to others as having the ache of sickness because it is listed as a symptom but we really don't know what pain a "normal" person feels because we suffer from pain daily and as for us experiencing a bad cold or flu, aches and pains are intensified considerably. Gives way to the expression that you feel like you're going to die or death would be better than the pain we are experiencing.

I'm sorry that you're ill and I wish I could provide a miracle cure but there's little you can do but struggle through the pain. Warm baths always do wonders for me, when I have the energy to take them when ill, alas it's only temporary. I will give you gentle hugs while wearing a hazmat suit, afterall you are contagious :)

SquarePeg
07-09-13, 08:55 AM
ARe you still taking magnesium. Ive heard of it giving flu like symptoms, complete with aches and pains (I got nausea and fatigue).

tudorose
07-09-13, 09:26 AM
I stopped taking it.

It's not just nausea, aches and fatigue. It's also the sore throat, cough, congestion etc.. I feel a lot worse when my temperature is up. And I'm still drenched in sweat even though it's winter, night time, cold and raining. Also being winter it's going around and DH has had it for the last week.

SquarePeg
07-09-13, 09:33 AM
ooh poor you, can you take iprobrufen for the aches? If possible, take something that will knock you out and make you sleep for a few days. Ive onlyhad real flu maybe twice in my lifetime and every part of my body was painful to touch, even the sheets touching me hurt, including my hair roots and teeth.

Oh and hot chicken soup. x

tudorose
07-09-13, 09:39 AM
I'm taking panafen (nurofen plus) every 8 hours. The only thing is I need to eat before I take it but I need to take it so I feel well enough to eat.

This is only the 2nd time in my life that I've had the flu but this one's different to the last time. Back then I was 20 and had just had my 2nd child but the chills and fever only lasted for 1 night rather than 2 days.

SquarePeg
07-09-13, 09:44 AM
People have sworn by chicken soup for years so I just thought I would see if I could find any evidence for it.

Extract

Research published in the American Journal of Therapeutics finds that a compound in chicken soup called carnosine can help strengthen the body's immune system to fight off flu in its early stages, according to the UK's Daily Mail. But you'll need to consume a steady supply throughout your illness for the effect to work, the authors claim.
The new study supports a well-documented 1993 study, published in the journal Chest, that found that chicken soup had a mild anti-inflammatory effect that reduced symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections.
In that study, researchers from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, tested blood samples from volunteers that showed soup inhibited the movements of the white blood cell neutrophils, which defend against infection.
Still, the research group couldn't identify the soup's immunity-fighting ingredient, although they posit that a combination probably works best.
The test soup recipe contained chicken, onions, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, carrots, celery stems, parsley, salt, and pepper. But canned soups were also found to inhibit the movement of neutrophils in the research.

avjgirsijdhtjhs
07-09-13, 09:51 AM
Monolaurin kills lots of different kinds of lipid-coated viruses in vitro, including the flu. Lots of anecdotal reports online of in vivo improvements when used against various viruses, but then again, so many people are so easily fooled by the placebo effect...

If monolaurin isn't readily available on store shelves, or overnight shipped or something, then coconut oil can be used, since some of the the lauric acid gets converted to monolaurin (supposedly it's only a small amount though according to one source that looked to be credible and not just BS misinformation to promote their product, but I'm not 100% sure).

Fuzzy12
07-09-13, 09:54 AM
Have you seen a doctor?

I don't really have any advice except the usual when you have the flu: Lots of rest, lots of fluids, etc.

I hate having the flu and I can only imagine how much more miserable it must be if you have fibro as well. You are not whinging, if you are ill, you are ill.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Hope you feel better soon!!

tudorose
07-10-13, 01:07 AM
Just saw the doc today. I do have the flu and and an infection which she gave me some antibiotics for plus the rest of the week off work.

Big challenge now is staying hydrated coz of the fever.