View Full Version : Put on effexor 18.75mg xr

Hello24
07-10-13, 02:51 AM
Hey all,

Ive been put on effexor xr at 18.75mg dose. Is this likely to have a positive effect in my focus?

In the past the adhd drug ive had the most success with was ritalin ir. and that was at a dose of 2.5mg per session.

I read that low dose effexor only affects serotonin and not neoephidrine. Hopefully adding some daily cardio will help.

Thanks in advance for your guys/girls help.

Cheers,

Hello24

Twiggy
07-10-13, 02:53 AM
Why not be on Ritalin IR?

Fuzzy12
07-10-13, 03:20 AM
I went up to 325mg with effexor. It's supposed to work on noradrenaline and dopamine at higher doses but I didn't notice any improvement in my focus.

Hello24
07-10-13, 08:53 PM
Thanks Twiggy and Fuzzy for your replies.

Twiggy while Ritalin helped my focus it didn't do much for my anxiety. Also my firm conducts drug tests and I'm concerned with them finding out.

Fuzzy, thanks for sharing your experience with effexor. I'm not sure if it will help me either, at the very least I hope it dampens my anxiety and allows me to enjoy life a little more.

I think my problem is more related to neoephedrine than dopamine and potentially that's why Ritalin helped more than dex.

It's all rather complicated, see how things go.

Cheers,

Hello24

425runner
07-10-13, 10:43 PM
That's interesting. I thought Effexor XR comes only in 75 mg capsule at the lowest dose.
It might help...I take a low dose Prozac, 2.5 mg, and it helps with my anxiety, hyperness and impulsivness. Basically slows down the neurons from firing too fast.

I still need Dexedrine though..to stay focused.

Hello24
07-12-13, 12:41 AM
Thanks Runner,

I'm hoping it will help. The minimum dose we can get in Australia is 37.5mg. I went to a compounding pharmacy and get them to make up capsules with half that dose a 18.75mg XR.

I have been on it since Wednesday but feel a bit spaced out. I think it's affecting working memory as well in that I can't stay at n back level 3 anymore where as before I'd hit 3 and not be able to move past there.

So I think it's making me slightly more inattentive. On the up side though my anxiety is lower and I have more energy and a more stable mood.

The spaced out feeling is less today. I'm hoping the inattentiveness will subside as well.

Will see.

Cheers,
Hello 24

Hello24
07-12-13, 03:48 AM
I feel much more clear headed this afternoon.
I'm hoping that this will not adversely affect my working memory once I am used to this medicine.
So pleased I went on a low dose of this stuff.

Cheers,
Hello24

Fuzzy12
07-12-13, 06:38 AM
Hello (24) :D

I did help with anxiety. Hugely. All anti depressants have reduced my anxiety. It didn't make my working memory worse but neither did it improve it.

I don't want to discourage you and meds affect everyone differently but the main side effect I had with Effexor was tiredness. It knocked me completely out but then I was on a ridiculously high dose. It also made my suicidal ideation worse. I've got a problem with suicidal ideation anyway, so this probably wouldn't happen for anyone. Just something to look out for.

I've seen great reviews for Effexor. For some people it seems to have really changed their life and helped when no other anti depressant worked.

Also, keep in mind please that I'm bipolar so I guess it affects me differently.

Good luck!! :)

Hello24
07-15-13, 08:59 AM
Thanks Fuzzy,

It hasn't worked for me. In fact it's been an awful experience to tell the truth.

The only thing that's ever given me relief is Ritalin.
I can't concentrate at work which leads to feels of guilt and subsequent anxiety.
I'm going to do the right thing now and see if I can go back on Ritalin ir.
I hope the doc will refer me again. I stopped the last time for fear work would find out.
But it's not worth living with one hand tied behind my back.

I know things were easier with Ritalin and would love to have its gentle helping hand again.

Thanks everyone especially you twiggy.

Cheers,

Hello24