View Full Version : Education System

sominl
07-11-13, 03:39 AM
Hey..
Guys i just want to ask a question from all of you Do you think Education System of your country is good or bad? How to measure its performance....????
share your opinion with me

sarahsweets
07-11-13, 06:37 AM
in the us, they could use a big fat overhaul.

Billeraphon
07-12-13, 02:37 PM
21st century children in 19th century schools. I would say we are about 200 years behind.

Most schools still run like factories - training for obedience rather than independent thinking. As much as great teachers want to change or school districts try to evolve, these efforts hampered by high stakes testing, letter grades, textbooks (often outdated or "filtered) and worksheets.

Canadian Mess
07-12-13, 02:45 PM
I wish I could say it was better in Canada... but that would be a lie, especially in my province where they keep cutting the budget for education.

You would think that the education of the future generation, the workers of tomorrow, the very basis of your future economy and survival as a country would be important.

Instead, they started elminating teacher positions, reducing classroom sizes, getting rid of services for disabilities, getting rid of gym time/music classes, getting rid of entire schools. Teachers went on strike in their union, now there is less money and less opportunities for new teachers.
Universities are being consolidated, removing sport teams, scholarships and raising tuition.

The result? A generation of students without English and Math skills and without opportunities to exercise or do arts... a mess really. They got rid of tests to see if the students could pass math and english even so they could drop the standard and turn a blind eye to the problem.

The classes are also "no kid gets left behind" meaning doesn't matter if you do the work or not, you'll probably pass. So classes aren't really classes anymore.

Cyllya
07-12-13, 10:23 PM
(USA, Arizona) It sucks. I got good grades, was in the "gifted" or "advanced" classes for quite a few years, and graduated no problem. I also got a bachelor's degree. All that crap people are complaining kids these days don't learn... I know all that stuff. (I didn't necessarily learn it in school.) I also learns a lot of cool extra stuff that lots of other people apparently didn't learn. But I have no job skills and even fewer life skills! And I have thousands of dollars in student loan debt.

Knowing what an arthropod is, knowing that a narwhal is a real animal, knowing that the Earth revolves around the sun, being able to label most of the countries and all of the oceans in the world if you gave me a blank map, vague familiarity with some Elizabethan-era soap operas, knowing what a prime number is... none of that pays the bills!

Meanwhile, there are apparently a growing number of people in the US who don't send their kids to school, and while they are legally classified as homeschoolers, they don't make their kids do any homeschool work either. You know how those kids tend to turn out? Perfectly fine! A hell of a lot better than me. I was more than a little bitter when I learned this.

Most schools still run like factories - training for obedience rather than independent thinking. As much as great teachers want to change or school districts try to evolve, these efforts hampered by high stakes testing, letter grades, textbooks (often outdated or "filtered) and worksheets.

All because of tradition, politics, and obnoxious parents. Every time a study is done to learn what'll make the education system better, society won't let those ideas be implemented. For example, experiments found that homework is useless for younger kids and that kids end up with better math skills if they aren't taught math before grade 6, and comparisons with other countries indicate that more hours in class is not the key to better standardized test scores. But the policy makers and anyone pushing for reform wants more homework, earlier schooling, and more hours in school.

I've seen some arguments about homeschooling where people indicate that they believe crushing a kid's spirit is an upside of conventional school, if not the whole point. They accept that they can get a better academic education from home schooling or even just not schooling at all, but they think kids should be sent to school because they want their kids to be bullied or because they want their kid to "get used to" being unhappy.

I remember one of my teachers refusing to sign my proposed next-year schedule because I was "too smart" to take a class that would have actually been useful in my life and should instead take a more prestigious but useless class. :doh:

Adduce
07-13-13, 09:13 AM
I think that this blog explains well how creativity seems to take a back seat to rote learning that is most often utilised at all levels of the education system.

https://blogs.commons.georgetown.edu/voke-philofeducation/2012/03/12/linking-memory-and-creativity/

Blanched Dubois
07-16-13, 10:48 AM
The only decent school to attend in the states is a Waldorf School. Rudolf Steiner set it up as for all no matter how rich or poor.

That's changed of course thanks to the yuppies. It's still the greatest education in that it allows a child to learn how they learn by letting them study what's of interest to them.

http://www.whywaldorfworks.org/

Fraser_0762
07-16-13, 11:01 AM
The educational system is a great way of brain washing them while they're still young.

Making them "obedient" and never daring to think outside the box.

Notice how it's the least educated that speak up against the system?