View Full Version : anxiety medication

sominl
07-11-13, 03:33 AM
Guys
I just want to ask a question What anxiety medication do you take and how did you first know you needed medication?

AdamLL
07-17-13, 10:40 AM
Hi Somini, I suffer from depression and along with that comes anxiety. My anxiety is caused by things that are happening and what the future will bring.
Here is a link to Mayo Clinic about anxiety. Mayo - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anxiety/DS01187
I myself take Lorazepam 1-2 before bedtime. If need be I can take it during the day. Problem is I forget that part. ;-)
Here is a link for Lorazepam for you to check out.
Lorazepam - http://www.pharmacydrugguide.com/Lorazepam_Side_Effects

SteveEk
08-16-13, 10:13 AM
Guys
I just want to ask a question What anxiety medication do you take and how did you first know you needed medication?

I tell you there is no medicine for reduce anxiety but one can use natural techniques like live free,don't take any kind of tension and enjoy each and every moment of the life then you don't need any medicine for anxiety related problems.

tomlinson
08-21-13, 04:15 AM
I tell you there is no medicine for reduce anxiety but one can use natural techniques like live free,don't take any kind of tension and enjoy each and every moment of the life then you don't need any medicine for anxiety related problems.

Natural techniques such as meditation and breathing exercises can indeed be very effective in combating anxiety. Bringing positive change to one's view of the world has also been shown time and again to foster improved mental health. In addition, cognitive behavioral therapy has many supporters.

But there are very effective anti-anxiety medicines (anxiolytics) as well, clinically proven to be useful in the treatment of anxiety and anxiety disorders. They include benzodiazapenes, and SSRI antidepressants.

Lunacie
08-21-13, 08:59 AM
Natural techniques such as meditation and breathing exercises can indeed be very effective in combating anxiety. Bringing positive change to one's view of the world has also been shown time and again to foster improved mental health. In addition, cognitive behavioral therapy has many supporters.

But there are very effective anti-anxiety medicines (anxiolytics) as well, clinically proven to be useful in the treatment of anxiety and anxiety disorders. They include benzodiazapenes, and SSRI antidepressants.

:goodpost:

I myself suffered with undiagnosed ADHD and Anxiety and diagnosed-but-
untreated depression my whole life. At age 52 I started learning about ADHD
and discovered that Omega 3 (fish oil) really helps my ADHD symptoms.

But it doesn't do anything for the depression or the anxiety so I finally went
to see a psychiatrist who prescribed generic Celexa and what a difference!

Unfortunately I experienced weight gain on that med so I switched to generic
Zoloft (Sertraline) and have been doing great for well over a year.

Celexa and Zoloft are both in the SSRI anti-depressant category.

I also took a CBT class focused on anxiety and depression that was helpful.

SteveEk
08-30-13, 03:53 AM
:goodpost:

I myself suffered with undiagnosed ADHD and Anxiety and diagnosed-but-
untreated depression my whole life. At age 52 I started learning about ADHD
and discovered that Omega 3 (fish oil) really helps my ADHD symptoms.

But it doesn't do anything for the depression or the anxiety so I finally went
to see a psychiatrist who prescribed generic Celexa and what a difference!

Unfortunately I experienced weight gain on that med so I switched to generic
Zoloft (Sertraline) and have been doing great for well over a year.

Celexa and Zoloft are both in the SSRI anti-depressant category.

I also took a CBT class focused on anxiety and depression that was helpful.

Hey dude can you tell me which activities take place in CBT class which helps us to stay depression free as I am also thinking for joining these kind of classes to reduce anxiety and depression. Thanks in advance!

Lunacie
08-30-13, 10:37 AM
Hey dude can you tell me which activities take place in CBT class which helps us to stay depression free as I am also thinking for joining these kind of classes to reduce anxiety and depression. Thanks in advance!

Eliminating a lot of stress in my life (divorce) certainly helped eliminate the
depression. Also learning that I have ADHD and Anxiety disorders (already
knew I have depression disorder) took a lot of the self-blame away and
that helped eliminate the depression.

Treating the ADHD and finally the Anxiety (Omega 3 and Zoloft) made a
really BIG difference. I still feel it hanging over me from time to time, but
I can deal with it and not let it cripple me like before.

Which is just to say I don't know if the CBT would have helped as much
without all those things already being in place.

We used a workbook called Mind Over Mood, focusing on the chapters on
anxiety and depression, guilt and shame. For me, reading the book and
doing the exercises on my own would not have been as helpful as being
part of a group and considering other peoples experiences. However, some
may find doing it alone works well for them.

PS ... that's Ms. Dude to you. :D

SteveEk
09-25-13, 07:16 AM
Thanks for your valuable reply I will definitely go through the "Mind Over Mood" that you suggested and I have one question that is meditation actually helps to stay away from anxiety? Thanks in advance!

Laserbeak
12-12-13, 05:32 AM
Guys

I've always had anxiety problems, but it took me breaking my arm to get into the doctors' offices and get everything out. First I was put on Ativan (lorazepam) and that was WAY TOO strong for me, I was spaced out all the time! Now I am on Librium (chlordiazepoxide) and it seems to work quite well for me. Valium is similar to that, but has a simpler chemical structure and doesn't last as long.