View Full Version : Do we create our own reality?

Bluerose
07-11-13, 08:12 AM
I would like to open up a little spiritual discussion. Would you care to join me?

Do we create our own reality?

"The reason why it is difficult to change your physical reality, if you don't acknowledge that you are the creator of it, both positive and negative, is that when you don't own something you can't transform it." ~ Bashar

My own personal view is that we do. I believe we create our own reality moment by moment through our thoughts, words and actions - and reactions. I also believe in a collective consciousness; we are all connected, and we as One may be what religious folks think of as God. Together we make things happen; the more negative the collective's expectations, the more negative the worldly results. And the more positive the collective’s expectations the more positive the worldly results. We are not being ruled by some outside God; a heavenly father. We are our own God. And we need to grow up and start working together because this planet is falling apart.

This is not a religious discussion. It's a discussion on personal spiritual beliefs about life and the universe.

Join me. :)

Fuzzy12
07-11-13, 10:09 AM
I believe that we create our own reality. In fact, I'd go further and say that we create our own little world. We have no way of objectively sensing the world around us. Our perception is influenced by our thoughts, emotions and beliefs. These in turn are the sum total of our genetic make up, our environment and all our past experiences. The reality we experience is entirely our own creation.

I don't even believe that we inhabit the same world. I think everyone creates their own little world around them. I have no way of perceiving the world in exactly the same way as someone else.

I don't believe in collective consciousness though. I think that because humans are genetically related you will find lots of similarities in terms of behaviour and life styles and as technical communication is improving our environment is expanding so we are subjected to more and more influence from everywhere around the world.

That doesn't mean of course that we shouldn't work together to improve the world. On the contrary. Because we are heavily subjected to environmental influences, however perceived, our world is not static but dynamically changes and molds itself based on other living's worlds.

peripatetic
07-13-13, 12:19 AM
quick moderator note:

let's be sure as the conversation continues that the thread stays in line with this section and remains on a topic of how meditation/spirituality plays a role in one's own experience of/navigation of mental health issues/challenges.

if the discussion turns from sharing personal experiences/thoughts relating to meditation/spirituality and health it will need to be moved to debates. things are fine thus far, i'm just posting to set up all for success. cheers, -peri

Bluerose
07-13-13, 08:28 AM
Meditation certainly plays a big part for me. It has helped me deal with ‘my stuff’ and brought me to my present day thinking. Brought up in poverty and violence, religion was a man at the door selling bibles who ran off when my dad yelled at him. There has always been a spark of something within me, and it took me a long time to discover what it was. Today we call it spirituality, and more and more people are turning to it for answers to those big life questions; "Who am I, where did I come from, and why am I here?"

Fraser_0762
07-13-13, 08:46 AM
Sometimes when I look around me and I see things and people, I wonder if it's all a creation of my own mind.

What if i'm the only real person and everybody and everything else is simply a creation of my own subconscious?

Bluerose
07-13-13, 08:54 AM
Solipsism (i/ˈsɒlɨpsɪzəm/; from Latin solus, meaning "alone", and ipse, meaning "self") is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure. The external world and other minds cannot be known, and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist. As such it is the only epistemological position that, by its own postulate, is both irrefutable and yet indefensible in the same manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

Bluerose
07-13-13, 09:18 AM
Solipsism is sometimes expressed as the view that “I am the only mind which exists,” or “My mental states are the only mental states.” However, the sole survivor of a nuclear holocaust might truly come to believe in either of these propositions without thereby being a solipsist. Solipsism is therefore more properly regarded as the doctrine that, in principle, “existence” means for me my existence and that of my mental states. Existence is everything that I experience — physical objects, other people, events and processes — anything that would commonly be regarded as a constituent of the space and time in which I coexist with others and is necessarily construed by me as part of the content of my consciousness. For the solipsist, it is not merely the case that he believes that his thoughts, experiences, and emotions are, as a matter of contingent fact, the only thoughts, experiences, and emotions. Rather, the solipsist can attach no meaning to the supposition that there could be thoughts, experiences, and emotions other than his own. In short, the true solipsist understands the word “pain,” for example, to mean “my pain.” He cannot accordingly conceive how this word is to be applied in any sense other than this exclusively egocentric one.

http://www.iep.utm.edu/solipsis/

Fraser_0762
07-13-13, 10:21 AM
Is it fair for one to say "The world/universe revolves around me?"

Physics would suggest that i'm always in the centre of the universe.

Blanched Dubois
07-13-13, 11:10 AM
i've seen how a human being that is adept at mastering their energy can effectively manifest their desires and this is being tested and has been for many years. i do it everyday and so do you - we just don't have an agreed upon language for this part of our make-up and we all possess the skill.

I'm interested in so called 'miracle' healings - and i've seen them happen - the laying on of hands. I became aware of this gift at an early age and rarely speak of it as people have trouble understanding it's not an ego thing. It's the last thing i'd share about myself because of so many stigma's attached to not understanding that everyone has the capacity ( we are big human field generators - capacitors ) to increase or decrease the flow of Qi. And, there is, in every language, in every culture on this blue planet a word for this 'energy' that flows in and through everything.

Einstein was fascinated about this and studied Olga Worrell and her physicist husband because that woman could just walk into a room and her energy would ruin film unless it was encased in a lead cannister. There are films of her putting her hands over water and boiling it in a minute or so.

I think in terms of usefulness for mental health and well being any work on the healing of our relationship to ourselves and our world and others begins with an understanding of how very needed it is that we learn to heal our relationship to nature.

Reiki allows one to direct the energy and as it's so ancient and from the Tibetan Monks and used in their most private healing work on themselves and with the healing bowls that the symbols and bowls were so sacred no one was to speak of this activity. Then it was released for the relief of suffering in the world.

The Russians began work on Kirlian Photography. It shows the before and after picture of human body that is moving this 'energy'. There's a whole lot no one knows because folks are withholding a lot of info.

Look what happened to Tesla. Until the dark in this world are transfigured into their better half lol there will be a need to stand up to greed and injustice - our culture is, according to the mystics, at the lowest eschalon of life on an upward swing toward Spirit.

If you believe in the spiral of life. The spiral is energy and it moves in a dna pattern and it goes from on high to down low and up again and always is moving unless it's not in a state to expose it's animation.

My Findhorn experience in 1988 is proof in point of what happens when one is in tune with one's energy and understands that all 'things' have 'a life force' and if you can grow fruit, vegetables and in such huge and healthy form by 'co creation and energy work' it didn't matter that these life forms were nurtured in sand or other 'unsuitable' or 'won't work' type of 'ground'.

http://www.findhorn.org/aboutus/vision/history/#.UeFrSY1b408

This 'belief' of our 'dominion over' is what keeps a lot of folks from being open to receive experience that might disprove a comfortable lie.

http://www.intuition.org/txt/rubik.htm great article on science and mysticism - all for the betterment of healing the human 'dilemma' - Spirit in a Body. Energy that knows no death because there is no death.

Bluerose
07-13-13, 03:09 PM
Is it fair for one to say "The world/universe revolves around me?"

Physics would suggest that i'm always in the centre of the universe.

I would say yes. You are as much the centre of your world as I am of mine. :)

midnightstar
07-13-13, 04:02 PM
In my opinion it depends what you mean by creating your own reality - how do we know the world we see is "real"?

Fraser_0762
07-13-13, 04:05 PM
In my opinion it depends what you mean by creating your own reality - how do we know the world we see is "real"?

"Real" is just a concept, nothing more.

It's "real" to us, even if existence outwith ourselves takes on a whole different form.

ana futura
07-13-13, 06:12 PM
Sometimes when I look around me and I see things and people, I wonder if it's all a creation of my own mind.

What if i'm the only real person and everybody and everything else is simply a creation of my own subconscious?

I have this thought often, but I know it's not true. Still, it nags at me in this weird way - it seems somehow related to my anxiety. It's not a fear, but it seems to affect me in the same way that my fear of the dark does. I have to talk myself out of both: "you know there's not actually a monster waiting for you in the car, calm down" feels similar to "you know you aren't the only person here, and you know this reality is real"

They both seem rooted in a mistrust of reality. I'm not sure where it comes from, but I've had thoughts along both lines as long as I can remember. Both types of thoughts pop up in my head less and less as I age, but I don't think I'll ever really grow out of either (i'm still super afraid of the dark sometimes)

For me it has nothing to do with philosophy- i very much dislike solipsist philosophers like DeCartes. I think it has something to do with ADHD / impaired theory of mind. Perhaps the schism between my impaired theory of mind and my belief system turn it into an anxiety producing thought.

Brokenbrain
08-09-13, 01:04 PM
I really really think we do. It's just such a struggle to get out of negative patterns and creating problems. I do tons of reading on spirituality, trying to get out ego thinking and realize I can chose to see things differently. I am reading A Course in Miracles and listening to books breaking down the principles of that book. It's really fascinating.