View Full Version : Developed too high tolerance - PLEASE HELP. How do I lower it?

elke.susan
07-14-13, 08:11 AM
magnesium glycinate
- Take the night before taking dex
Vyvanse
zantac
prilosec (omezprazole)
tagamet
antacids
tums
prevacid
I've been on a dexamphetamine prescription for several years now and certainly enjoy the resulting perks (like dedicated and focused productivity, interest in organisation and cleanliness, increased interest in socialities, decreased appetite, physiologically fun and enjoyable buzz), but I'd like to lower my tolerance to their ingredients.
Through making several unwise decisions along the way, my tolerance for the same dosage has increased and I require more to reach/feel the same level of high.
Too many times during my years in university my application for the dex was doubly used; not just for the initial obvious psychologically medical reasons, but also to pull several allnighters to study for exams/complete assignments/work on assignments. Sometimes I even went several days without sleeping, using the dex to keep me up and focused.
And while it was terribly convenient and advantageous to my academic progression, it's now left me in an undesired state/situation.
For me to reach the same feeling state all dex users know of, I have to take much more than my original dose. Thereby I've been going through my monthly refill at a much faster rate, leading me to keep finishing my monthly dosage quite sometime before my next refill date.
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME. Feel free to share, respond, offer any insights/relative experiences/scientific knowledge.
I'd like to once again be able to take just a 1 pill of dex and experience its effects; instead of feeling nothing and having to take another.
It's even gotten to the point that even though I finish the monthly dosage much before the next refill date, even that time I go without taking any dex, my tolerance doesn't seem to budge at all to a lower degree. Even with the week and a half I go with no more dex, by my next refill I still have to take more.

I'm open to any ideas/thoughts/responses.

tudorose
07-14-13, 09:43 AM
Too many times during my years in university my application for the dex was doubly used; not just for the initial obvious psychologically medical reasons, but also to pull several allnighters to study for exams/complete assignments/work on assignments. Sometimes I even went several days without sleeping, using the dex to keep me up and focused.
And while it was terribly convenient and advantageous to my academic progression, it's now left me in an undesired state/situation.

No sympathy for abusing your medication from me. And THIS ^^^^^ is why it then becomes so hard for people with genuine ADHD to access treatment.

For me to reach the same feeling state all dex users know of, I have to take much more than my original dose. Thereby I've been going through my monthly refill at a much faster rate, leading me to keep finishing my monthly dosage quite sometime before my next refill date.

Sorry but this isn't about getting a 'feeling'. It's about being able to function and cope with life.

And by the way we are not 'dex users'. Geez.

Talk to your doctor about whether you should be on any medication at all and whether your diagnosis is correct.

midnightstar
07-14-13, 11:23 AM
Please see a doctor about coming off drugs you don't need. Drugs exist to help people who genuinely need them.

peripatetic
07-14-13, 01:22 PM
let's be kind here. someone with a substance issue is suffering and also needs help.

i wish you well in navigating your concerns, elke, and hope you get some responseshere in this section that will be of use to you in facing your challenges.

-peri

Fraser_0762
07-14-13, 01:32 PM
When you build tolerance to a medication, you don't need to get the dosage increased, you simply need to take a break, or at least reduce the dosage for a while.

Remember, stimulant medication isn't about getting "buzzed". It's about allowing you to function on a even keel with NTers.

If you feel that you have a problem and that you are constantly chasing a high, then please get help.

National Institute on Drug Abuse Hotline
(800) 662-4357

National Help Line for Substance Abuse
(800) 262-2463

Abi
07-14-13, 02:16 PM
Moderator Message:

let's be kind here. someone with a substance issue is suffering and also needs help.

Peri posted this in her capacity as a member; I'm re-iterating it in my capacity as a section mod.

Please remember that ADDF is a support forum for sufferers of ADHD and a variety of other co-existing conditions.

Please take the time to review the Etiquette Guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15843) if you have not already done so.

Thank you. :)

arxonius
07-14-13, 09:09 PM
magnesium glycinate
Vyvanse
zantac
prilosec (omezprazole)
tagamet
antacids
tums
prevacid
I've been on a dexamphetamine prescription for several years now and certainly enjoy the resulting perks (like dedicated and focused productivity, interest in organisation and cleanliness, increased interest in socialities, decreased appetite, physiologically fun and enjoyable buzz), but I'd like to lower my tolerance to their ingredients.
Through making several unwise decisions along the way, my tolerance for the same dosage has increased and I require more to reach/feel the same level of high.
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME. Feel free to share, respond, offer any insights/relative experiences/scientific knowledge.
I'd like to once again be able to take just a 1 pill of dex and experience its effects; instead of feeling nothing and having to take another.
It's even gotten to the point that even though I finish the monthly dosage much before the next refill date, even that time I go without taking any dex, my tolerance doesn't seem to budge at all to a lower degree. Even with the week and a half I go with no more dex, by my next refill I still have to take more.

If you ARE using it for ADHD,which is not clear,because you said your using it for the "obvious psychological reasons" then your in a really ugly situation. It sounds like your using it every day though,so do you have ADHD? Try going off it for a few weeks or a month. I say its an ugly situation becuase if you really need this medication,and you made yourself resistant to it,well,I feel compasion toward you but there is not a lot anyone can do for you. GIve the break a try. If that does not work,you need to go to your doctor and hes probably not going to prescribe you a stimulant again,so your going to have to try things like strattera or welbutrin which are less likely to work.

If your NOT using it for medical reasons,then your in a dangerous situation,because your a habitual drug used,who is developing tolerance due to your high doses. Worse yet it sounds like your using it every day and your very concerned that your running out early,which means you "need it",which means your an addict. You should again,stop using,but permanently. Flush it down the toilet. If your having problems quitting your in real trouble. Or better yet,take the pills with you to your doctor,explain what happened,and the problem your having,and as a sign of good faith give him the bottle with your remaining pills. Ive known meth addicts that were given antidepressants to help,because they permanently fried their brains on massive doses.

Blanched Dubois
07-15-13, 11:08 AM
I wish I knew why this was a question for the forum? It's more like a proclamation. If you are experiencing tolerance issues - wean down!

Next, go speak to your pdoc or someone who won't yes you to death and i hope you get help for your issue because the answer to insatiable isn't MORE.

Good luck.

sarahsweets
07-16-13, 05:07 AM
If you are addicted and since you posted in the addictions section then I suggest you try and get help. If you are tolerant then you should talk to your doctor about your dosing schedule. Either way your going to have to cut down.

tudorose
07-17-13, 12:24 AM
If you are addicted and since you posted in the addictions section then I suggest you try and get help.

I would not have replied to this thread had it been posted in the substance abuse section. It was moved here afterwards hence all the subsequent posts about being nice.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
07-21-13, 06:14 AM
Are you taking the dex because you need it for ADHD or are you just taking it to get high? If you're just taking it to get high you're on a slippery slope, that's the nature of addiction. I'd take a break from the dex if I were you, if you're using it to get high.

If you need it for ADHD:

The next time you get a refill give your dex to a trusted friend or family member who can be trusted to give you your prescribed dose. If you don't know anyone who can give it to you daily, maybe you know someone who can give you your dose weekly. I've had to do this when I was on Klonopin and was tapering down off of it. It was the only thing that worked.

Talk to your psychiatrist, it's possible you need a higher dose to control your symptoms, it's also possible you're expecting too much from your dexedrine. Ideally it shouldn't be getting you high, it should be helping you function, there is a difference.

Don't be ashamed of having an addiction issue, people with ADHD are notorious for having issues with self control and addictions of all kinds.

You may want to try a different medication, if you're taking vyvanse and it stops working at the end of the day you could talk to your psych about adding some ir dex to take on an as needed basis.

What you're doing now is not working and is not likely to improve without making a conscious effort to find a way to take it as prescribed. See if you can take your next refill as prescribed and make it last the whole month, if you feel like you can't or it's not working talk to your psychiatrist and be honest. If they are familiar with ADHD they won't judge you, they'll try and find a solution that works.

Winszton
07-23-13, 12:19 AM
Don't be too terribly turned off (into denial) by what everyone has posted. To be honest, I've seen quite a few people, at least at the beginning, become semi-addicts to amphetamine, taking it for the wrong reasons in part - in fact I think a great deal of people prescribed stimulants are motivated to keep taking them for partially the 'wrong' reasons, though because of lack of education they don't often know what stimulants are 'like' when working correctly to treat ADHD. (though none of the reasons you mentioned are necessarily wrong, following that course with speed is likely to run you into problems, which you're getting a taste of now)

karbouris
07-23-13, 11:22 AM
magnesium glycinate
Vyvanse
zantac
prilosec (omezprazole)
tagamet
antacids
tums
prevacid

Stop taking it, and let it clear out of your system. Don't expect to do anything for 3 days or so. I felt like crap when weaning off any amphetamine type meds. Get on the lowest dose possible and stop taking it on days you don't need it.

Crazygirl79
07-24-13, 08:06 PM
I agree with everyone else who has posted on here!! I happen to think that drug addiction is a medical problem and a few of my college classmates share the same sentiments, you seriously need to get help as this drug may not be appropriate for you and if you are using it to get high or whatever and you've become addicted then I would strongly suggest you seek some kind of rehabilitation and DOA counselling (DOA stands for Drug or Alcohol) so you can get back on track.

To come on here on call people "Dex users" and the like is not only offensive but down right ignorant, those with genuine ADD/ADHD do NOT choose to go on medications like Dexedrine to get high or anything else like that, we take these medications to treat a legitimate condition and to better our lives and I can damn well see why some people were p*ssed off with the wording and content of your post!

I wish you luck in whatever you do in this situation.

Sel

leveller
09-10-13, 11:10 AM
I agree and disagree with some things people are saying.

It seems to me that the obvious answer here is to take a nice break. I mean a few months, not days or weeks. A few months off will surely give Elke's brain a rest and give her body a chance to recover a more needy state of being? Then she will be back to using the meds as it should be used.

Elke has my sympathy and empathy tbh. We are prescribed addictive and mind altering drugs - it is right to give thanks to the doctors for helping us, but it is also right to understand what it is we are using and appreciate that the stimulation-chasing nature of ADHD can be a big thorn in our sides.

I'm torn between needing the break and having too much on right now to take it. Aside from the addictive negatives that is.

(added) it does sound like the OP is struggling with her addiction to it. Rather than face up to the obvious of taking a break, she wants to flick the switch and take herself back to how it used to be. Classic addiction wants and needs. Again - she has my sympathy and empathy. The pleasures of feeling nearer normal with the pain of side effects.

ins0mn1AK
09-10-13, 12:47 PM
Wow, a lot of these replies are so harsh and cruel. I'm having second thoughts about this message board.

ferrarl
09-10-13, 02:02 PM
What are you taking?
Caffeine really effects the tolerance on adderall since both boost adrenaline.

Modafinilguy
09-29-13, 08:57 AM
You have stated blatantly that you use the drug to get high, and have started behavior that blatantly shows significant abuse of the medication.

From your post it seems obvious you have substance abuse issues with the dex and you need help for this problem. I would strongly advise you get professional support, and to entirely discontinue this medication.

You certainly deserve support in overcoming your addiction problems, but it is clearly obvious to me that you should not be using psychostimulants.