View Full Version : forum mafia

RobotInDisguise
07-16-13, 09:49 AM
Is anyone here up for a game of forum mafia? If you are, please reply to this thread. If there are enough people interested, I will start the game.

Here's an intro that I hope is brief enough.

What is Forum Mafia?
Forum Mafia is a game of deceit and lies. The setting is that the Mafia have come to a town and are trying to take it over. The Town has formed a lynch mob against the Mafia, but they don't know who the Mafia are!

Gameplay is split between two phases. The Day phase and the Night phase. During the Day, all players talk amongst themselves. The Mafia try to lie and keep the Town from figuring out who they are. The Town try to look for suspicious behavior in order to find and weed out the Mafia.

Everyone, Town and Mafia, gets one vote. That vote is for who to lynch. If one player has the most votes by the end of the day, they will be lynched, their alignment will be revealed, and they are out of the game. Also, if at any point one player has a majority of the votes, they are to be lynched right then and there, immediately ending the day phase. The vote that brings the majority and the instant lynch is known as "The Hammer".

During the Night, the Mafia will talk amongst themselves in a Google document that will be provided. No one may post in the thread during this time unless otherwise stated. The Mafia can kill one person per night. They must also decide who will perform the kill.

Certain people in the Town also have abilities at night. These abilities can range from protecting a person from attacks, inspecting a person to see their alignment, and even killing a person they choose. However, they have to be careful about revealing themselves because it may inspire the Mafia to go after them next.

The goal of the Town is to eliminate every member of the Mafia. The goal of the Mafia is to make up at least half of the player population. The Mafia to Town ratio starts at about 15-20%.

Phases will be two days long, ending at midnight.

Rules:
Number one is the same as everything else on this forum. DON'T BE A JERK.

Yes, this is a game that's known to inspire negative feelings and we're dealing with a large number of impulsive people, but please keep yourself under control.

So be sure to think over every post carefully before posting. Not only because of rule one, but also...

Number two: Do not edit your posts.
Every single time you post, you give evidence to if you are town or mafia. Editing them would take this evidence away and that wouldn't be fair to the town.

Even if you make a typing mistake, you may not edit it. You can point out in another post and say "Oops, I meant to say this," but do not edit. DO. NOT. EDIT.

Number three: No communication of the game outside the game.
While this can not be enforced, I hope the honor you showed for the rules in HvZ can extend to here. Do not PM other players, over facebook, over a cup of coffee, anywhere. All thoughts about the game you deem important to share are to be posted and shared with everyone.

Number four: If you are not playing, do not post.
I'm sure outsiders would love to look in and give their own opinions on the matter, but please, leave the players be. Also, if you die, I'm afraid you do not get to share your last opinions of who's a mafioso or not.

The non-participants or dead may be thinking at some point, "I've seen this game and I want to talk about it. I HAVE OPINIONS!" Best if you bring them to the Forum Mafia General Discussion Thread, a place for non-players to share what they think. This chat is only for those not participating in the game.

Number five: If you are playing, POST!
Don't just be a lurker. If you are town, you are doing a disservice to your teammates by not posting and not giving them every single piece of information they can get. If you are mafia, it would look incredibly suspicious to not want to participate out of fear of revealing yourself. Even if someone has posted exactly what you were thinking, post something saying that you agree with them. Extended lurking will be met with a warning and then taken out of the game if it continues.

Where can I get more information?

Here's a wiki! (http://wiki.epicmafia.com:8081/index.php?title=Main_Page) It explains all the roles and vernacular. However, this wiki is based on Epic Mafia, the chatroom version that lasts at most a half hour while this is a much more intense version that goes on for weeks.

Yes, there are a bunch of roles and they all have a chance of appearing in game (except for ventriloquist, they are annoying as hell) along with some I just make up. So no one has any idea about what they're up against.

WARNING
Like I said earlier, this is an intense game that inspires negative feelings. Forum Mafia on a high tournament level is, quite frankly, nasty. However, it is possible to have fun if you remember one thing: It's just a game.

A couple of things to remember.

To vote, please use the following at the end of your post: ##VOTE (username)

Since I can't be on all the time, if there is ever a majority vote, the day will end with a lynch immediately when I see it. The next day phase will begin when posted. If there is ever a tie of votes, a coin flip will decide.

When a lynch goes through, everyone still alive will get one and only one reaction post. Whether it be for "Ah, crap." or "I told you so!" it's up to you.

Fraser_0762
07-16-13, 09:57 AM
I think it's all a bit complicated wouldn't you say? :lol:

Abi
07-16-13, 10:18 AM
I love it.

I'm in.

If too many people find this game complicated, we can try the "Wolf" game which they play in the mid 2000s horror movie "Cry Wolf"

RobotInDisguise
07-16-13, 10:53 AM
Don't worry, I'm only going to use traditional mafia roles, like villager, mafia, doctor, and cop. I went back thru and reread that. As you might be able to tell, I copied this from the Humans vs Zombies forums of my old university and there are still traces of their version, zombie mafia, in the rules. Please replace zombie with mafia and human with town when you read. Thanks.

Abi
07-16-13, 11:01 AM
I'll edit.

doiadhd
07-16-13, 12:35 PM
Eye spy?

TygerSan
07-16-13, 12:42 PM
I'm in . . .

doiadhd
07-16-13, 12:54 PM
I'm in . . .

Something beginning with m

Abi
07-17-13, 12:37 PM
So... any one else up for this?

RobotInDisguise
07-17-13, 02:07 PM
Come on, it won't be complicated. I'm not one to make up stuff that I'm not capable of remembering lol

ThinkingOutLoud
07-20-13, 05:14 PM
Sounds interesting