View Full Version : Clonazpam vs Xanax

Dee7663
07-18-13, 10:25 PM
After 12 years on 4 mg Xanax daily, My doctor who prescribed them to me was arrested...after that I could not find any doctor that would touch me since it was all over the news!

I had to come off of them cold turkey :eek: It took almost six months to do so! It was the hardest thing I have had to come off of! But I did it, luckily I did not go into any seizures or any other side effect! :) That my friends was by the Grace of God!

I then suffered silently with my panic attacks and anxiety!

To me personally Xanax is a very dangerous drug, it gives you a false sense of being 10 ft tall and bullet proof...invincible, you nod out, if you're a smoker, you will burn just about every thing you own, and not to mention you have memory lapses to where you cannot remember what you did til somebody tells you!

Just recently I found a doctor who prescribed me Clonzepam 1 mg! I feel much more in control and not so intoxicated like I did on the Xanax! I can function without slurring and eat without passing out in my food!

So if you have to chose between these two...Choose Clonzepam aka Kolonopin! This is just my personal opinion from my experience! :cool:

janiew
07-18-13, 11:36 PM
Cold turkey off a high dosage with no seizures - yes, grace of God! Even with a slow taper Xanax is a tough one due to the short half life.

Have you tried any antidepressants for the anxiety? I'm testing Zoloft and it took about four weeks to kick in. It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement and supposedly if you have to taper off, it's not as difficult.

Congrats on kicking the Xanax!

Nate W
07-19-13, 08:40 PM
I've studied both medications extensively and taken both in very limited amounts and only briefly. Short-term (under a month) is in order with these. If taken for anxiety, a benzodiazepine it can be used until an SSRI becomes effective at limiting anxiety.

Clonazepam (generic Klonopin) is the safer of the two. Mainly because of its longer half life (about 35-40 hours) and slower onset of action (gives less initial rush). Alprazolam (generic Xanax) has an 11 hour half life. For extreme onset of panic attack, alprazolam works better. But has more rebound anxiety and it can become a viscous circle (medicate to get rid of rebound anxiety).

Clonazepam is better suited for general all around continuous crippling fear. The type of fear that will cause you to blow your brains out and/or prevent you from being able to do anything.

After becoming an alcoholic and withdrawing cold turkey from alcohol (you do not know what hell is until you do that), I do not want a repeat (benzodiazepene withdrawal is similar. Both can kill you). I was lucky. I never has seizures.

But I give alparzolam and clonazepam the respect they deserve. Tolerance to the sedating effects builds rapidly and rebound excitement/agitation is unforgiving and can lead to seizures, if dose is high enough and for long enough. Not to digress, but anyone contemplating taking any benzodiazepine should read the material available from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Be forewarned, some doctors will tell you it is alright to stay on benzos indefinitely. Please, do your research and decide for yourself. I was told just that by the psychiatrist after I spent a weekend in the psych ward due to 30 days without sleep caused by extreme anexiety caused by a spike in my life-long tinnitus. I was put on clonazepam. 1.25 mg/day. It literally saved my life because I was about to kill myself. It allowed me to relax and sleep and forget about the constant high-pitched whail that never ceased. So it does have it's purpose. But having read the above info in the links, I knew I needed to get off it and I had acclimated to the tinnitus somewhat, so I was no longer in crisis. Against doctor's advice, I slowly weaned of the clonazepam (even with the low dose I was on I tapered off in three weeks) and I was fine. That was about 10 years ago. I could only imagine where I would be and how large my dose had become if I were still on clonazepam.

Also, I have known a couple of people personally who's lives were devastated by alpazolam.

--Nate

janiew
07-19-13, 09:09 PM
Yes, I have known people whose lives were devastated by Xanax and other benzos too. Including people in my family who are/were very close to me and had similar afflictions to me - undiagnosed ADHD, tics, and OCD. My pdoc offered a benzo to me during our first appointment until the Zoloft kicked in. I declined it and explained why.

When I had problems sleeping since my 16yo son was arrested on July 4, which I have posted about here. My pdoc knew I didn't want benzos or sleep aids that are related. He prescribed a tricyclic AD that is not known to cause dependence for occasional use to help sleep.

Anyway, since you have been through the benzo w/d thing and 4 mg of Xanax is extremely high, please take heed.

Raye
07-20-13, 04:11 AM
This subject hits home for me..hard....

Xanax helps many people, yet from my own personal experience I can not take it... I became heavily addicted for months, and when I ran out, I had the most horrific side effects I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I was sweating, involuntary muscle spasms, vomiting, pounding headache, stumbling into doors and walls. I didn't sleep for almost 72 hours straight.

I felt like I was going to die, so I had someone take me to the ER, where the Dr. told me if I had waited another 12 hours or so I may have gone into a coma. That was a real eye opener for me, so I voluntarily commited myself to detox.

A while later I relapsed. My psychiatrist put me on Klonopin ( Clonazpam) so I don't go into a benzo withdraw.

I am proud to say I do not abuse this benzo, I only take it to feel normal.

IMO you are very lucky. Going cold turkey off xanax can cause seizures, coma and even death.

Nate W
07-20-13, 09:37 PM
Read post # 15 in this thread:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57206&highlight=Klonopin

Also, I read another thread on here where someone over the years had worked their way up to needing 10 mg clonazepam a day (at least that is what I remember, maybe it was more) and he described the horrors of continually going in and out of seizures and a bunch of other terrifying things. I could not find that thread though. It was blood curdling.

--Nate

Sickle
07-27-13, 10:53 PM
before people jump on the SSRI bandwagon under the idea that there is no withdrawal with those should do some research... my friend was a living hell coming off paxil and on it she was starting to lose it too... I use klonopin as needed for up to 6 weeks because I was on Xanax for years and in childhood so I went from .5 per day to 12 mg per day after 12 years... the jolts in the arms for two years were described by my friend who tapered off Paxil, insomnia as well. People with seizure disorders can need up to 20 mg of klonopin a day and manic episodes can need a good 10 mg a day to tame with other meds too sometimes. But the SSRI meds are ones to be careful with too. "Discontinuation Syndrome" is just a euphemism for withdrawal. Even tapering from those it is hell.

Laserbeak
08-12-13, 04:20 AM
I recommend Librium.

wgm923
08-12-13, 10:34 AM
Lexapro is the way to go for anxiety. I've never taken Xanax, but I have taken clonazepam. Very easy to black out on them and forget a day or 2. Once took 4mg of clonazepam(because I was a ******* idiot) when I was 16 the night before school, woke up late the next morning, had to get a ride, slept for the first half of school, and didn't remember the first half of school. Never take more then the recommended dosage!!!

Nate W
08-12-13, 07:35 PM
before people jump on the SSRI bandwagon under the idea that there is no withdrawal with those should do some research... my friend was a living hell coming off paxil and on it she was starting to lose it too... I use klonopin as needed for up to 6 weeks because I was on Xanax for years and in childhood so I went from .5 per day to 12 mg per day after 12 years... the jolts in the arms for two years were described by my friend who tapered off Paxil, insomnia as well. People with seizure disorders can need up to 20 mg of klonopin a day and manic episodes can need a good 10 mg a day to tame with other meds too sometimes. But the SSRI meds are ones to be careful with too. "Discontinuation Syndrome" is just a euphemism for withdrawal. Even tapering from those it is hell.SSRIs have withdrawal syndromes too. Paxil is by far the worst one of them as well. I had brain zaps for at least six months and possibly a year after I quit Paxil and I was taking one half of the smallest dose (the pink oval tablets) per day over the previous couple of years (any more than that put me to sleep during work).

--Nate

tambourine-man
08-14-13, 09:25 PM
After 12 years on 4 mg Xanax daily, My doctor who prescribed them to me was arrested...after that I could not find any doctor that would touch me since it was all over the news!

I had to come off of them cold turkey :eek: It took almost six months to do so! It was the hardest thing I have had to come off of! But I did it, luckily I did not go into any seizures or any other side effect! :) That my friends was by the Grace of God!

To me personally Xanax is a very dangerous drug, it gives you a false sense of being 10 ft tall and bullet proof...invincible, you nod out, if you're a smoker, you will burn just about every thing you own, and not to mention you have memory lapses to where you cannot remember what you did til somebody tells you!

Just recently I found a doctor who prescribed me Clonzepam 1 mg! I feel much more in control and not so intoxicated like I did on the Xanax! I can function without slurring and eat without passing out in my food!

So if you have to chose between these two...Choose Clonzepam aka Kolonopin! This is just my personal opinion from my experience! :cool:

Xanax is fiercely, cruelly, mercilessly addicting and I almost feel that, with other options, bensoz included, available to prescribers your doctor deserved to be arrested. Xanax should be an emergency only medication, taken only in the case of extreme, acute panic, NEVER on a daily basis.

It isn't just the short half-life that bothers me either. There is just something about Xanax that sets it apart from other benzos. I've never known anyone who has taken Xanax on a daily basis for years without becoming a total basket case. Most of these people will also strongly defend their use of the drug and become very offended and angry when anyone questions it.

That being said, while Klonopin is a better alternative, I caution you that it could very easily lead you down the same road... it may take longer to get to the destination but you may be horrified to find it to be identical upon arrival.

Klonopin has somehow gotten this ridiculous reputation as being the safe, less recreational, non-addicting benzo. Yet Klonopin is a VERY high potency benzo that is truly very addicting, yet ever so sly about it.

25mg of Librium, the highest dose provided, is equipotent to .5mg of Klonopin. 10mg of Valium, the highest dose, is equipotent to .5mg of Klonopin. Librium comes in doses as low as 5mg and Valium as low as 2mg. There was a time when 10mg of Librium twice a day was considered the average dose for adults with anxiety. Yet today people are often prescribed 3-4mg of Klonipin for anxiety. That dose is equipotent to 150-200mg of Librium or 60-80mg of Valium! Could you imagine a doctor casually prescribing eight 10mg Valium a day?

I took 3-4mg of Klonopin a day for many years and I sort of want those years back. You don't feel as if Klonopin is effecting you in the way you feel Xanax is. Trust me, it is effecting you!

I'm the last person to get puritanical about drugs but benzodiazepines are very dangerous drugs which must be treated with the utmost caution and respect.

Sorry for preaching...

tambourine-man
09-19-13, 08:48 PM
Xanax is fiercely, cruelly, mercilessly addicting and I almost feel that, with other options, bensoz included, available to prescribers your doctor deserved to be arrested. Xanax should be an emergency only medication, taken only in the case of extreme, acute panic, NEVER on a daily basis.

It isn't just the short half-life that bothers me either. There is just something about Xanax that sets it apart from other benzos. I've never known anyone who has taken Xanax on a daily basis for years without becoming a total basket case. Most of these people will also strongly defend their use of the drug and become very offended and angry when anyone questions it.

That being said, while Klonopin is a better alternative, I caution you that it could very easily lead you down the same road... it may take longer to get to the destination but you may be horrified to find it to be identical upon arrival.

Klonopin has somehow gotten this ridiculous reputation as being the safe, less recreational, non-addicting benzo. Yet Klonopin is a VERY high potency benzo that is truly very addicting, yet ever so sly about it.

25mg of Librium, the highest dose provided, is equipotent to .5mg of Klonopin. 10mg of Valium, the highest dose, is equipotent to .5mg of Klonopin. Librium comes in doses as low as 5mg and Valium as low as 2mg. There was a time when 10mg of Librium twice a day was considered the average dose for adults with anxiety. Yet today people are often prescribed 3-4mg of Klonipin for anxiety. That dose is equipotent to 150-200mg of Librium or 60-80mg of Valium! Could you imagine a doctor casually prescribing eight 10mg Valium a day?

I took 3-4mg of Klonopin a day for many years and I sort of want those years back. You don't feel as if Klonopin is effecting you in the way you feel Xanax is. Trust me, it is effecting you!

I'm the last person to get puritanical about drugs but benzodiazepines are very dangerous drugs which must be treated with the utmost caution and respect.

Sorry for preaching...

And after all that preaching... I'M NOW TAKING XANAX! Good bloody gosh darn grief!

I began having SEVERE GI issues - extremely painful stomach cramping, diarrhea at least a dozen times a day, etc... I tried loperamide, hydrocodone, had a half dozen tests...

The doctors kept telling me it must be anxiety related. I finally relented and accepted a script for alprazolam .5mg 3x daily. The GI issues vanished with the first dose.

Huh?! So... I guess now I'm a fan of Xanax? I suppose another benzo might work but I have paradoxical reactions to clonazepam, can't think of any advantage lorazepam would have over alprazolam, and don't think my psychiatrist would be comfortable prescribing a high enough dose of diazepam to take care of the GI issues. Anyway I don't want to rock the boat and the "feel" of the Xanax is cleaner IMO.

The Xanax is admittedly a bit up and down, however. I've considered Xanax XR but are there really any advantages to the XR formulation? I've always preferred the simplicity of reliability of IR meds.

425runner
09-19-13, 10:00 PM
I take 0.25mg Klonopin every night to sleep. I've tried numerous herbs/supplements/teas/amino acids nothing helps, all that just makes me hungover the next day or I feel depressed.

The Klonopin at such a low dose is a Godsend. It relaxes me and I always wake up feeling good. That is IF I don't mix it with any other supplements/herbs for insomnia.

sarahsweets
09-20-13, 04:22 AM
for whatever reason, klonopin made me a stumbling drooling mess that lasted entirely too long. Xanax allowed me to get relief and carry on. Klonopin stayed ib my system a ridiculous amount of time when xanax didnt.

IndieVisible
09-20-13, 06:10 AM

I don't have a problem with any benzo. I really don't care if it's Xanax, Valium, Atavin, Klonopin or whatever. The main difference with klons over the others is IMHO it's stronger because while it does take longer to take effect, it lasts longer and stays in your system longer too. So it kind of builds up but u get use to it. It's a great preventative action, where as the xanax and others act faster and don't last as long, but for panic attacks and use as needed they are better. Klons will make you more balanced, specially 3 times a day! Not a bad choice at all!

IndieVisible
09-20-13, 06:13 AM
Oh btw, I've heard all the horror stories about benzos. As long as you don't abuse them you can take them for decades or indefinitely. Antidepressants will not address anxiety and have the least effect. If you want a safer alternative to benzos for anxiety you need meds made for anxiety like buspar, but be prepared to feel like a zombie. And that's the "safe" stuff lol.

PastelDreams
09-20-13, 06:42 AM
I take 1mg Klonopin when i'm having an anxiety attack, sometimes 2mg if it's bad enough, and even then I have been trying to control the attacks on my own accord. As of late I only take the Klonopin about 2-3 times a week when I get too mentally exhausted and feel like i'm going to faint from trying to calm myself down during an episode. I'm sure it doesn't help that i'm on such a low dose of Lexapro, but will be attempting to fix that problem.

I've taken Xanax forever ago, but I don't really remember my reaction to it ;) And much like some other responses in this thread, I know a few people who prefer Xanax VS. Klonopin. Just be cautious and consider everything in moderation! Glad to hear you're doing better and the Klonopin works out for you- Cheers.

IndieVisible
09-20-13, 05:42 PM
I take 1mg Klonopin when i'm having an anxiety attack, sometimes 2mg if it's bad enough, and even then I have been trying to control the attacks on my own accord. As of late I only take the Klonopin about 2-3 times a week when I get too mentally exhausted and feel like i'm going to faint from trying to calm myself down during an episode. I'm sure it doesn't help that i'm on such a low dose of Lexapro, but will be attempting to fix that problem.

I've taken Xanax forever ago, but I don't really remember my reaction to it ;) And much like some other responses in this thread, I know a few people who prefer Xanax VS. Klonopin. Just be cautious and consider everything in moderation! Glad to hear you're doing better and the Klonopin works out for you- Cheers.

Wow, you are doing really very good! 2 or 3 times a week! That's incredible. I would love to be there. As it is I'm not too bad. I take low doses of xanax .25, prescribed for 3x a day but I take as needed. I start off with a half and very rarely go over 1.5 tabs or a total of .375 mg in one day! On a really bad day I have taken 2 tabs .50mg. Oddly Valium I can handle 10mgs total in one day. I never feel buzzed or tired because I purposely try to stay on low doses so I can feel as close to normal as possible! Your record is impressive :)

PastelDreams
09-24-13, 03:44 AM
Wow, you are doing really very good! 2 or 3 times a week! That's incredible. I would love to be there. As it is I'm not too bad. I take low doses of xanax .25, prescribed for 3x a day but I take as needed. I start off with a half and very rarely go over 1.5 tabs or a total of .375 mg in one day! On a really bad day I have taken 2 tabs .50mg. Oddly Valium I can handle 10mgs total in one day. I never feel buzzed or tired because I purposely try to stay on low doses so I can feel as close to normal as possible! Your record is impressive :)

Oh my, why thank you! :yes: