View Full Version : homegrown

daveddd
07-19-13, 05:33 PM
vegetables, i love em

garden is doing well, anyone else

they say its a good year for it

Parterxred
07-19-13, 05:44 PM
We have our own aquaponics garden. Not hydroponic. My partner created that one outside using a technique called media based.

My job is to create an indoor garden for the winter. It will be from the Nutrient Film Technique.

I never enjoyed gardening until now.

I also got introduced to Bonsai. Bonsai a Fruit Cocktail Tree. My goal.

Unmanagable
07-19-13, 05:48 PM
Ours has done fairly well so far, except for the yellow and zucchini squash, which is odd. They usually run us over. We've had a ton of rain, so we just chalked it up to that.

The farmers' markets are boomin' this year. A lot of produce was a couple weeks or so later than usual, but seems to be rolling in nicely now.

Parterxred
07-19-13, 05:52 PM
The aquaponics garden is now being bombarded with near ping pong size hail.

I'm actually quite scared.

daveddd
07-19-13, 06:02 PM
Ours has done fairly well so far, except for the yellow and zucchini squash, which is odd. They usually run us over. We've had a ton of rain, so we just chalked it up to that.

The farmers' markets are boomin' this year. A lot of produce was a couple weeks or so later than usual, but seems to be rolling in nicely now.

yea, we had record rain this year

the tomatoes love it

daveddd
07-19-13, 06:07 PM
The aquaponics garden is now being bombarded with near ping pong size hail.

I'm actually quite scared.

wow

we are supposed to have pretty severe stuff rollin in here shortly

Parterxred
07-19-13, 06:14 PM
Good luck.

We usually don't get severe weather in this part of the state. We're horrible drivers to begin with and this is happening during rush hour.

I really hope I'm just being dramatic as usual.

daveddd
08-03-13, 02:17 PM
my tomatoes are gansta this year:cool:

peripatetic
08-03-13, 02:45 PM
me too!

i ahven't gardened in awhile due to ...life, you know, but i am hoping to get my hands into some dirt at some point this summer.

daveddd
08-03-13, 02:52 PM
me too!

i ahven't gardened in awhile due to ...life, you know, but i am hoping to get my hands into some dirt at some point this summer.

yea, i love playing in the dirt

unmanageable had an artilce linking it to mental health too!
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/66840.php

Unmanagable
08-06-13, 12:49 AM
Came across this today and had to share:

(Focus being on the content of the video, not the website address.....)

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/07/1-man-produced-6000-pounds-of-food-on.html

These folks grow 6,000 pounds of food, organically, on 1/10 of an acre, in the middle of a city in California. He started it 10 years ago. They earn about $20,000/yr. from "porch sales" to buy stuff they can't grow. Makes me smile, and makes me want to grow more stuff!!! lol

sarahsweets
08-06-13, 06:36 AM
my garden is terrible. any advice on how to revive it? to be fair, i never put ground covering down so its in need of a thorough weeding.

stef
08-06-13, 09:11 AM
we have about 10 strawberries and 5 cherry tomatoes! my husband is trying to garden on the balcony.
I don't really enjoy it but there is NOTHING better than vegetables from the garden.

one of the best meals I ever had here was: garden peas cooked with lettuce, pintade (some kind of poultry - and from a local butcher shop); and for dessert, strawberry pie with strawberries from the garden! this must have been in 1991, never forgot it.

the dave
08-20-13, 05:42 PM
Started growing stuff late, but had lots of mature compost- growing chard, there's all sorts growing there, tomatoes, bell peppers, radishes somewhere.
The chard is currently being overrun by turnips.

I usually have a tendency to pick the more unusual stuff, like giant oriental red mustard- which coincidentally tastes just like garlic mustard/jack by the hedge.
I would really like to grow older herbs and plants, like Fat Hen/ Good King Henry.

We've also got runner beans and peas. :)