View Full Version : ADD and programming

Tony72
07-27-13, 02:34 PM
I'm the innatentive type and just started trying to teach myself JAVA at codecademy.com so I can at least get a basic understanding and launch from there. What I'm curious about is what challenges some of you who already know how to code had to deal with and maybe some tools or tips you can share. I'm not super great at math but I've read that unless I'm coding an OS or implimenting physics into a game then I can pretty much get away with basic math skills. Just wanna be a little more prepared for some road bumps so they don't blindside me and give me an excuse to drop another thing.

the dave
08-06-13, 10:31 AM
Hey, i'm also inattentive and I've wanted to learn programming.
Things i've looked into- a book on programming concepts; I was reading beginning programming by Adrian Kingsley Hughes a while back. Depends what you want to code I guess. I wanted to learn for the purpose of making games. Java was a route I was looking at to possibly try and mod Minecraft. if its game design-- or something like GameMaker lets you write code in its scripting language so you can learn some principles. In either of those two it seemed like looking at example code and stripping it down to its constituent parts helped.

Fuzzy12
08-06-13, 12:25 PM
Algorithmic mistakes

1. Don't worry too much about syntax, you'll get notifications for those but algorithmic mistakes that would have been pretty easy to fix had I just looked over my code again cost me nearly my PhD. Several times.

2. Do learn how to debug properly and use the inbuilt functions that make sure your program does what it's supposed to do (you know all those statements checking for files, inputs, etc.).

3. Don't spend too much time "learning syntax". Once you can write a hello world program you are ready to go. I've learnt much more by actually programming than by reading about programming.

4. Comment. Use comments generously even for statements that you think are obvious at the moment. (Soon the won't be.. :( )

5. I only know basic maths but since my projects are not very mathematical it's not a problem. Anything I need to know (maths, physics, computer science stuff even..) you can learn pretty quickly as and when you need it.

6. Do make an effort to program efficiently as soon as possible. I usually make up my code as I go along and don't worry too much about it being neat, clear or efficient thinking that I'll tidy it up later. Big mistake. Rewriting your code to make it more efficient is hugely boring so I ended up doing it only when just wouldn't work. (For example, some of my programs take days to run, not because there is that much of data but just because they are written so badly). It takes a bit of extra time to write a program well, but it's worth it.

Tony72
08-06-13, 12:53 PM
thanks for the suggestions/tips. i'm happy i partially understood some of what was said, as opposed to none of it a few weeks ago. i've been lax on it lately. part procrastination, part mental focus on other endeavors, but i'll keep those things in mind going on.

LauraRomans
09-29-13, 11:37 AM
Computer programs can
1) loop
2) scoop
3) filter

Fuzzy12 is right! You will know if you have a syntax error (it is like a programming spell check). But it is up to you to determine if the output is reasonable. A good programer likely spend 20% of the time writing code and 80% of the time setting up checks to catch any logic error in the program.

ADHD is perfect for programming because we are creative genuineness (can you see I am biased). We can find the odd examples that allow code to do something other than what was intended.