View Full Version : dyscalculia.....anyone else have it?

m1bryant
07-28-13, 07:37 AM
I read earlier another thread on dg s calculia but now I can't find it. I was wondering if there are otbers on this forum who have it. I have been doin g a lot of research on the subject since it seems to be causing me more trouble as a middle aged adult than it has since quitting school. I have found through research that there seems to be a link between oxigen deprivation either in utero or at birth and dyscalculia. I would like to ask as many other xyscalculics as will answer, if they were in some way oxigen deprived. Difficult birth, umbilical chord around neck, low apgar score, low birth weight even though full term.also for anyone who doesn't know what dyscalculia is and would like to learn more please don't hesitate to ask. I have no pro lem with educating anyone on the subject and am very open and honest abojt my answers.

FogNoggin
07-28-13, 08:40 AM
Yes, what is it?

silivrentoliel
07-28-13, 09:03 AM
I have dyscalculia and never had any of the aforementioned issues. Math freezes me up, so maybe it's nerves, but it's diagnosed as a learning disability in my case.

FogNoggin
07-28-13, 09:12 AM
OK, I looked it up, it's certain difficulties in math.

Personally, in some areas of math I am OK, but due to ADD memory I find it difficult to solve math in my head.
Although that's not unusual, I have more difficulty than a lot of people.

stef
07-28-13, 11:14 AM
probably yes, im not diagnosed but tend to inverse figures
i was never very good at math

AlexaN
07-28-13, 11:38 AM
OMG, story of my life.
I am 31 and i grew up with a father who is an Applied Math professor.
But i had trouble understanding math since i was about 9 yrs old.
My father would get angry, yell at me, punish me, call me lazy, but until this day he still doesn't want to accept the fact i just don't get math and never did.
I always felt like it's beyond my comprehension.
Like it's a sci fi....no matter how hard i tried i was always lousy in math at school, later on in college...

I read earlier another thread on dg s calculia but now I can't find it. I was wondering if there are otbers on this forum who have it. I have been doin g a lot of research on the subject since it seems to be causing me more trouble as a middle aged adult than it has since quitting school. I have found through research that there seems to be a link between oxigen deprivation either in utero or at birth and dyscalculia. I would like to ask as many other xyscalculics as will answer, if they were in some way oxigen deprived. Difficult birth, umbilical chord around neck, low apgar score, low birth weight even though full term.also for anyone who doesn't know what dyscalculia is and would like to learn more please don't hesitate to ask. I have no pro lem with educating anyone on the subject and am very open and honest abojt my answers.

m1bryant
08-03-13, 08:45 PM
Yes, what is it?

Well, litterally speaking, dyscalculia means you can't do math. The truth of the matter is that it involves much more than just math. It also causes left right confusion, trouble with directions in the sence of getting lost all the time, as well as the other type of directions as in not being able to follow direction because of sequencing issues. People who are dyscalculic tend to appear scatterbrained because they lose things all the time. They can have problems with long term and short ter memory.trouble telling and keeping track of time. Counting money.lots of fun stuff. It is thought by many to be caused by an issue with the parietal lobe. In fact one scientist was able to create the effect of dyscalculia in a nondyscalculic brain by using elctricity for a shor period of time in the parietal lobe. It's quite an interesting read and I will post it here if I can find it again.

Hypoactive
08-16-13, 12:31 AM
literally speaking, dyscalculia means you can't do math. The truth of the matter is that it involves much more than just math. It also causes left right confusion, trouble with directions in the sence of getting lost all the time, as well as the other type of directions as in not being able to follow direction because of sequencing issues. People who are dyscalculic tend to appear scatterbrained because they lose things all the time. They can have problems with long term and short ter memory.trouble telling and keeping track of time. Counting money.lots of fun stuff.

I've got ALL that, and lots of other "fun stuff", lol -- including horrific handwriting, semi-crappy coordination and balance issues, sensitivity (startling) to sudden sounds -- even soft ones, and sensitivity to light --my room has to be pitch black at all times or I can't sleep.

basically, that entire deal above (both your paragraph and mine) adds up to what most neuropsychologists call Nonverbal Learning Disorder, aka NLD. a significant discrepancy between verbal IQ and performance IQ scores is the #1 determinant for diagnosing NLD...I have a *severe* discrepancy between the two. in other words, i'm both "gifted" and "what the :eyebrow:?" at the same time, lol. very frustrating.

however, not every person with NLD has all of the symptoms commonly associated with it -- in my case, I not only "get" irony/sarcasm, etc., I tend to get it *faster* than the average joe, and i'm also often creating such quips. in addition, i'm very outgoing, have extremely good social skills, and am generally well-liked/accepted by most people I meet (can't make everybody happy, lol)...

mine is definitely due to a genetic anomaly -- as mini-me is affected exactly the same way I am, and varying degrees of NLD run rampant on my mother's side of the family.

janiew
08-16-13, 12:46 AM
My math scores and ability dropped as I hit middle/high school, like a lot of girls. At the same time, my achievement test scores and IQ tests showed that I should not have these issues.

My math vs. verbal is WAY LOW. Wish we'd reconciled it in middle school. Can you say minimal brain dysfunction - lol, the diagnosis for ADHD back in the day - late 70s / early 80s? Oh well, that is ancient history for me and I'm still just making sense of it.

stef
08-16-13, 01:52 AM
same for me, there was I think 200 points between math and verbal on my SATs.