View Full Version : Sleeping Pills

Laserbeak
08-02-13, 04:22 PM
I'm surprised this forum doesn't have more action, I would think this would be an important issue for those suffering from ADD and taking stimulants.

Anyway, I thought I'd add my 2 cents….

My recommendation is to AVOID newer sleeping pills like Ambien and Lunesta. Both drugs are designed to only affect a subset of the brain's GABA receptors that are involved in sleep, they are not true benzodiazepines that work on all GABA receptors. Although that was meant to make them less addictive and have fewer side effects the next day, in practical use they lead to sleep walking, sleep cooking, sleep driving even, and so on. This has gotten some press, but not nearly enough in my opinion.

The best alternative is Restoril (temazepam), an older sleeping pill which is a true benzodiazepine. The benzodiazepines go back to 1959 with the discovery of Librium (chlordiazepoxide) which was followed closely by Valium (diazepam) and a bunch of other related drugs (Restoril, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, the list goes on…).

If you've been taking Ambien for a long time, and have never walked into you kitchen to find it a COMPLETE DISASTER, or any similar side effect of doing things while asleep, I'd' say keep taking it. My advice is just to people who are looking to start one of these for the first time.

Hope that helps, or at least informs.

sarahsweets
09-06-13, 09:16 AM
I have had great sucess with sonota

Daydreamin22
09-06-13, 09:33 AM
I heard they're kind of sketchy. But, I'm getting them next week.

PastelDreams
09-06-13, 09:34 AM
Does something like a natural sleep aid such as Melatonin help? I have yet to actually get on to regular ADD medicine, but I figure if/when they put me on stimulants, I may run in to this issue.

Daydreamin22
09-06-13, 10:03 AM
Does something like a natural sleep aid such as Melatonin help? I have yet to actually get on to regular ADD medicine, but I figure if/when they put me on stimulants, I may run in to this issue.

Yes, sleep aide over the counter. Anything like Advil pm wo the Advil. Melatonin worked for me once.

addthree
09-06-13, 11:34 AM
I have taken Benzo drugs and they only work for a short time. I can only get about 4 hours of sleep on Benzos and after a week or two my tollerence gets really high. It was so high that 2.5 mg of Xanax did nothing. where the Lunesta works every night and I get close to eight hours of rest. I have problems with sleep walking, talking and all of that stuff. The Lunesta has stopped all of this. No more running around screaming while asleep.

425runner
09-06-13, 09:00 PM
I've tried every possible herb, sleeping tea, l-theanine, natural remedy and nothing works to keep me asleep except a low dose benzo (0.5mg Klonopin) which I don't like taking because I feel sluggish all of next morning until noon (massive dose of caffeine kicks in)

I'd love to try a sleeping pill which won't leave me tired/sluggish the next day. Anti-histamines make me hyper so that's out. I'm thinking about trying GABA supplement since that's how benzos work - right? They stimulate the GABA receptors or something....

425runner
09-06-13, 09:01 PM
Do you wake up tired and wanting more sleep or does the Lunesta wears off and you wake up refreshed?

I have taken Benzo drugs and they only work for a short time. I can only get about 4 hours of sleep on Benzos and after a week or two my tollerence gets really high. It was so high that 2.5 mg of Xanax did nothing. where the Lunesta works every night and I get close to eight hours of rest. I have problems with sleep walking, talking and all of that stuff. The Lunesta has stopped all of this. No more running around screaming while asleep.

Laserbeak
09-09-13, 03:56 PM

I talked to my psychiatrist about this. He said it depends on the person. I'm really lucky that I don't seem to build up this resistance to the benzos, they still work as well for me now after years of taking them every day as they did the first time I took one. So I guess you need to try different things if something doesn't work...

addthree
09-10-13, 05:14 PM
Do you wake up tired and wanting more sleep or does the Lunesta wears off and you wake up refreshed?
Somedays I feel a little tired until I get up and move around. Most days I feel good when waking. A little tea in the morning usually does the trick.

ADDarren
09-10-13, 05:36 PM
I take ativan every night, and rotate between sonata and ambien.
I only take 5mg of ambien because of the freaky things I've done and don't remember. (Usually if I've had a couple beers)
If you use alcohol, don't take these meds at all.

Regards,

Nibs91
12-02-13, 02:20 PM
Ambien has been great for me. I finally can sleep like a normal person. I wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the day. The dark circles under my eyes are finally going away too. I haven't had any negative side effects.

Xanax and valium didn't ever help me fall asleep. They just caused some drowsiness. I'd wake up tired and my morning would always drag with my foggy head.

LoveMySibe
12-09-13, 10:33 PM
I have been getting treated for sleep issues for a long time. I've done teas, melatonin, benadryl, unisom over the counter. Nothing helped. I was on Lunesta but it left a terrible taste in my mouth and I couldn't do it...lol. I was on Rozerem which did nothing. I was finally put on Ambien, which works. True, you don't remember ANYTHING after you take it, but if I take it and go directly to bed. I've never woken up in strange places doing strange things, but I've heard from other people (including my own doctor!) about those things.

Since I was put on ADD meds though, I've been tired by night time and I've not had to take my Ambien since.