View Full Version : I've stopped lamotrigine

Fuzzy12
08-07-13, 08:50 AM
I don't have a great reason except that it didn't seem to do much. (I don't remember exactly why, I think, I was just angry and annoyed with life in general, and my depression in particular. Maybe I was just being defiantly destructive). I had been pretty hopeful about lamotrigine but all it seemed to stabilise was my depression. I had no more moments of euphoria, but was just non stop depressed.

So for a few days I took 50mg instead of 100mg and then I stopped taking it completely.

The first week I had some withdrawal symptoms, dizziness, headaches, light headedness, etc. but that's gone now. In terms of my mood I don't notice any difference. I feel neither worse nor better. Which means, that I'm still feeling ****.

I'm still taking 100mg of Sertraline but that doesn't seem to be doing much either. I wonder if I gave lamotrigine a fair shot though. I know that 100mg isn't a huge dose and maybe I should have tried for longer and higher doses. But 125mg made me incredibly sleepy. Couldn't keep my eyes open.

I really need to make an appointment with my GP but I'm not sure how she can help me. I'll ask to be referred for CBT again so let's see....

avjgirsijdhtjhs
08-07-13, 04:47 PM
Hopefully I've got all my facts straight. :)

You are vegetarian, right? Are you totally vegan and completely avoid animal products, or do you eat eggs or dairy? From what I've read, if you totally avoid animal products, you'll be getting pretty much zero vitamin B12. Also, even though it is a water soluble vitamin, you'll store a few or (more likely) a few more than a few years worth in your liver, so a person that abruptly stopped eating animal products one day might take years to develop problems due to low B12. Low "vitamin" (hormone) D decreases intestinal B12 absorption. Might want to look into sublingual (or nasal sprays or suppositories) methylcobalamin.

Reading this (http://www.mts.net/~baumel/B12.html) might pique your interest.

An while we're on the subject of deficiencies, what about iron? Ever had any blood tests for iron-related stuff? What about a serum ferritin test? (edit: just found the following quote on another site -----> How to discern if your iron is too low: We used to think testing one’s storage iron, ferritin, was enough. But it’s not. Your storage iron can look normal because of an ongoing inflammation, which tends to thrust iron into storage. So we learned that we need four labs at the minimum : ferritin, % saturation, serum iron, and TIBC. Even low ferritin along with optimal results in the other labs have caused problems with T3 pooling in the blood. Go here (http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/lab-values) to read what we look for in our iron results.)

I don't have the knowledge or quotes i can quote right here, but I have heard that if you have low red blood cell-related problems, it could take a few months of supplementation before you get much relief, maybe since it it takes over one hundred days to manufacture a new red blood cell??? (Not certain that my facts are correct in this paragraph.)

Brain iron and dopamine receptor function
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6138953)
Early Iron Deficiency Has Brain and Behavior Effects Consistent with Dopaminergic Dysfunction (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3056585/)

avjgirsijdhtjhs
08-07-13, 05:37 PM
Just searched your posts for "restless legs syndrome".

I guess you've read about iron with regards to RLS (https://www.google.com/#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=ed6dd134a7ff8a41&q=iron%20restless%20leg%20syndrome)?

keliza
08-07-13, 05:59 PM
The withdrawal from Lamictal is a b**ch. I did it very slowly and I still felt like I had the flu for 2 weeks.

It didn't seem like Lamictal was doing a lot for you except for curbing hypomania. That's not a bad thing, but if you're that chronically depressed, it's not really worth staying on. The good news is that there are still a LOT of different types of drugs that you can try. You haven't even touched the atypical antipsychotics yet, and they tend to be very powerful antidepressants. They're just not the first thing you want to jump to if you can help it.

Make the appointment with your GP. Try to get in with a CBT therapist. Keep fighting. You will get through this. Hugs.

Fuzzy12
08-08-13, 07:58 AM
I've just started taking a vit B complex, omega 3 and a HTTP-5 supplement. Maybe I should just take a multi vitamin to make sure I get enough Vit D and everything else. I used to but never noticed any difference.

I'm vegetarian (apart from the fish oil supplements :( ) but not vegan. I have eggs (though rarely) and dairy.

I met just met my GP and she increased my dose of Sertraline to 150mg for 2 weeks and then 200mg. I asked her if it's worth starting lamotrigine again but she wants to see first if I get really hypomanic without a mood stabiliser. Fine with me. I doubt my BP II diagnosis anyway.

She also agreed that I should apply for CBT again. Currently, the waiting list is just about 4 weeks so that's not too bad.

I half heartedly did a bit of exercise today morning but even that seemed to knock me out pretty much. I guess, it's worth sticking to it though.

keliza
08-08-13, 10:49 AM
The exercise is definitely worth sticking to. Even if it doesn't feel useful now, it is helping in the long-term. It can take a few days or even weeks to notice a difference from the exercise, just like a medication that takes time to be effective.

Are you taking an iron supplement or making sure you're eating enough iron-rich foods like kale, spinach, etc.? Just a thought. I know iron can be a difficulty for vegetarians, particularly women. An iron deficiency can certainly contribute to your low mood and lacking energy. I certainly don't think it's the primary cause, but I believe that the best treatment for depression is to deal with all of the contributing factors, major and minor. So make sure the iron isn't too low. A complete multivitamin might be a good idea.

That wait list isn't too bad at all, hop on it and hopefully you'll be able to see a therapist within the next month or so. Be careful with the Zoloft increase. Watch yourself and have your husband on alert so he can look for signs of hypomania or suicidal ideation.

avjgirsijdhtjhs
08-08-13, 11:27 AM
keliza talked about contributing factors vs primary cause(s) in her previous post, and while obviously I don't know all of the contributing factors, and their strengths as far as contributing to your mood issues, it reminded me of something I'd read on another site:

A quote I found that I forgot to put in the first post:

Unfortunately, medical treatments in the U.S. all too often do not seem to be based biochemical science, but rather the most expedient (drug therapy) or lucrative (psychiatric therapy) treatment from the viewpoint of mainstream health care providers.

In the U.S. the most common forms of treatment for anxiety seem to be counseling and/or drug therapy. Yet these treatments are illogical and may be counterproductive when nutritional deficiencies or other biochemical anomalies are the main cause of a person's anxiety and depression. One can spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars talking to a therapist, but it seems like a pointless attempt at a solution if a core reason for a person's mental health issues stem from a nutritional deficiency effecting his or her nervous system.

Note that last sentence. Have you ever felt a brief second or two (or more), where you felt a little different, specifically in a way that you used to feel often in the past, but it's been so long since you'd felt that way that you said to yourself "WOW, it's been so long since I felt that way that I'd forgotten that I used to feel that way!"? Or how when there's a day in the late summer when there'd been a sudden considerable lowering of humidity and temperature overnight and you wake up one morning and "feel fall in the air"? What I'm getting to is that if the root cause of your problem, or a major contributor is something physiological, and you fix it, you could save yourself a lot of time, money, suffering, etc.

B12 - with dairy and the rare egg being your only good sources, and possibly not good sources at all if your "vitamin" (hormone) D level is low (since that might greatly reduce or completely inhibit absorption), that might would be a significant contributor. Here's a quote from the B12 article link in my first post: In 1973, in a double-blind trial by F. R. Ellis and S. Nasser, B12 shots boosted the energy and lifted the moods of chronically fatigued patients significantly more than shots of water. Sixteen years later, in a less formal single-blind study, orthomolecular psychiatrist Herbert Newbold reported that his B12-responsive patients "invariably" were able to tell whether they had received B12 or an injection of water. <----- Key words being "double-blind" (in the first study), and "invariably" (second study).

four eyelids comparison pic (http://oi43.tinypic.com/suvtky.jpg)

anemia OR anemic OR "iron deficient" OR "iron deficiency" eyelids (https://www.google.com/search?q=anemia+OR+anemic+OR+%22iron+deficient%22+ OR+%22iron+deficiency%22+eyelids&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.50500085,d.dmg,pv.xjs.s.en_US.ciY8R2R6XC8.O&biw=988&bih=1253&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=895d541ed553ed4d&hl=en&q=anemia+OR+anemic+OR+%22iron+deficient%22+OR+%22i ron+deficiency%22+eyelids&sa=1&tbm=isch&um=1&imgdii=S5y2_chUCtk-7M%3A%3BmwFwfjq0RT2V9M%3BS5y2_chUCtk-7M%3A)

Fuzzy12
08-09-13, 06:20 AM
Sertraline 150mg :yes:

Feeling better already. I know, it's not supposed to start working this soon (I only increased the dose yesterday) but somehow this always happens for me. When I started Sertraline for the first time last year, I felt better within a couple of days. It might just be the placebo effect but I don't think so. I didn't expect to feel better (especially not last year). I just hope that unlike last year the effect won't quickly poop out again.

Was slightly euphoric yesterday night and today morning (though now the feeling is settling down again..) but maybe like my GP suggested, these feelings of euphoria are not actually hypomania but me just getting over excited about feeling slightly better. Doesn't happen too often after all... :D

Anyway, I'm keeping my eyes open for signs of hypomania but I think, I should be fine. Besides, I could really do with a bit a good mood right now!!! :o

Raye
08-09-13, 01:26 PM
Again,

I agree with Keliza. There are still SO many different meds out there.

Maybe Lamictal just isn't for you.

P.S. I was put back on it. I'm at 75 mg right now.

phantasm
08-15-13, 09:40 PM
Regarding B vitamins - I take the pill that you put under your tongue and let it dissolve. I feel alert instantaneously. I pay $7 for 90 days worth. Over-the-counter at our local health food store.

I tried many pill (swallow) forms and my Doc recommend me try the kind that specifically are taken under the tongue. My energy is more stable throughout my day and the early afternoon slump is no longer there for me. (I'm on a plant-based diet so that's why I needed my B-complex)

Hurray for feeling a bit better with your new dose! :)

Fuzzy12
08-16-13, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys. It didn't last long. I got a kick for about 24 hours, that's it. Now it's back to good old depression. Funnily enough, my suicidal ideation has reduced now that I'm just depressed again. I guess, switching between euphoria and depression does make me more suicidal than just being depressed. Or probably, I'm just too tired and foggy to think about suicide.

I've started taking a vit B complex (swallow). I'll see if I can find the type that dissolves under your tongue. My MIL suggested I take a B 12 injection, but obviously you can't get it over the counter here and I seriously doubt my GP will give me one. Anyway, I'll ask her the next time I see her.

silivrentoliel
08-16-13, 08:33 AM
do they have Abilify over there? my pdoc prescribed that along w/ my Zoloft (150mg) and it's done amazing things, but my bipolar swings were tiny.... she gave it to me to help get rid of the deep depression I was in. I love it.

doiadhd
08-16-13, 09:51 AM
i had a problem coming off
of that,well,if its same stuff i thinking of.

got angry,there were lots going on,i kept quite,
then i had enough,went ott,think coming off this drug
had a big part. . .but then the situational circumstances
that i was stuck in,probably played the most part.

maybe,hopefully your situational circumstances aren't
all bad,fuzzy

keliza
08-17-13, 11:02 AM
I still think you should look for a complete multivitamin. That will take care of your iron, B vitamins, vitamin D (really important for mood that y'all don't get much exposure to in such far northern latitudes), etc. You can pick and choose if you want, but in the past I've had a psychiatrist suggest that I take a multivitamin and an omega supplement daily. She said, "It might help, it might not. But it can't hurt, it has no side effects, and if anything it will cover your nutritional bases when you aren't eating well because you're depressed." So that's my suggestion.

You still on the waiting list for CBT?

Hugs.