View Full Version : Genetic signature for autism found in blood.

Amtram
08-08-13, 07:15 PM
Eric Courchesne, from the Autism Center of Excellence at University of California in San Diego (you can also find some excellent videos he's done on autism on YouTube's UCDavis channel) is going to be announcing preliminary findings that may lead to a blood test that could be a diagnostic tool for autism. ABC Science has an article without ads that goes into more detail on what these findings are here (http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/08/08/3820393.htm).

The research group was small, but the findings were about 80-85% accurate. The findings are not of a "gene for autism," but a genetic signature that indicates a risk. Continuing evaluation is still needed to assess severity and treatment needs, but this will be the earliest test available, allowing positive interventions far sooner than they begin now.

daveddd
08-08-13, 07:53 PM
excess brain cells,is that related to synaptic pruning?

Amtram
08-08-13, 08:38 PM
Yes, I believe so. I can't remember off the top of my head, but there was a UCDavis video on autism that had a really good explanation and slideshow on how that works and how it doesn't happen in the autistic brain. (It might have been one of Courchesne's presentations, too.) Genes are responsible for stopping cell growth and triggering apoptosis, too, so if part of the problem arises from the brain not losing mass in the last trimester of pregnancy the way it's supposed to, some of this signature may include that faulty instruction. I don't have journal access, so I don't know the whole of this research, but if the presentation comes up on my YouTube, I'll share it here.

Fraser_0762
08-08-13, 09:32 PM
Just test the blood for led or mercury, then you'll know for sure!

fracturedstory
08-10-13, 09:31 AM
Eh.

Shut up Fraser. ILY.

Dizfriz
08-10-13, 09:54 AM
Just test the blood for led or mercury, then you'll know for sure!

I am scratching my head on this one at least the "for sure" part.

Here is a report on a study on Mercury and Autism titled

No Link Between Mercury Exposure and Autism-like Behaviors

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/?id=3893

I don't think the link between lead and Autism has been established to anywhere near the "for sure" category.

I find it to be the better part of wisdom to check my facts before posting. Helps save me from a lot of embarrassment.

Take care,

Dizfriz

fracturedstory
08-11-13, 06:02 AM
Diz, I'm pretty sure he was being tongue and cheek.

Dizfriz
08-11-13, 09:53 AM
Ooops! Apologies then to Fraser.

One of the problems with satire is that no matter how outrageous one gets, there is someone out there with just that view (Poe's Law)

Anyway, Fraser, sorry I missed on that one.

Dizfriz

Lunacie
08-11-13, 10:10 AM

I didn't see any smilies in Frazer's post. Someone who doesn't know much
about Autism might think he was serious. :(