View Full Version : Asian steamer style cooking - less than 5 minute prep/hands-on cookin for entire meal

acdc01
08-10-13, 08:09 PM
Using a steamer is a very fast and healthy way to cook. Popular technique among Asians.

You'll need a 2 or 3 tier steamer. I actually use a cheap wooden bamboo steamer like that used in one of my videos below - but whatever works for you.

As you can see in the photo, just throw some cut vegetables (like asparagus, broccoli, carrots, sweet potato, yam etc.) on one of the tiers. Then throw a meat into (i.e. fish, shrimp, crab etc.) a 2nd tier. Then rice in a bowl in the 3rd tier.

Then just turn the steamer on and steam everything at the same time. That's it.

A popular steamed pork and egg dish is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4XDc0Hdvg and takes less than 2 minutes to prepare as you can see in video.

Fish = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=594uPZCjPi8. Note, I do use the ginger and green onion but I don't chop it up nearly as small as that video since I don't eat the ginger or green onion - it's just there for improving the fish smell and flavor. I just add soy sauce after the fish is done cooking, not while it's steaming. Less work.

With the vegetables, you might want to add a little salt, seaweed sprinkles or some other type of flavoring after they finish steaming. Or mix sweet vegetables like beets and yams in with other vegetables.

I usually throw everything in all at the same time and then take it out at the same time. But if you feel some things are overcooked that way, just stagger when you put stuff in.

You can actually make a variety of meals this way just by changing the type of meat/vegetable you throw in. Just search steamer and cooking on youtube and you'll find a million different things you can cook this way.

intothewind
11-23-15, 11:40 PM
These are great. You can use the old style ricecookers too by placing a suitable container on the rack.

One of my favorite dishes is a steamed whole fish. Rainbow trout works great. For one...the scales are teeny tiny so I dont bother scaling them. Just stuff body cavity with ginger and green onion and season with salt and pepper. Lopping the fish in half works if it is too big to fit.

Now you can mozy off and forget until you hear *ding!* then if you are like me...look at it longingly but know you will burn your tongue wolfingit down so leave to cool for a bit.

Oops...im betting the video covers this. But reading is so much faster.
I should add...freshness is crucial since this dish does no cover flavor at all....that's why its so darn good! If your fish is on the tail end of useful life just fry it.

Unmanagable
11-23-15, 11:43 PM
I like using them to heat up leftover foods instead of zapping it in a microwave.