View Full Version : Merino Wool/base layers for uber-sensitive areas?

equilibrium
08-10-13, 10:02 PM
I am trying to find clothing that works for my sensory issues. I get so irritable because of things like my pants or my sock feels funny, or a seam hits my inner thigh (argh). I hate scratchy, and I hate too tight. I often have to change and wear the same things over and over because of the inability to last any length of time with non "comfy" stuff.

My hubbie suggested perhaps trying some merino wool wear. I know it can be quite silky. I am wondering if anyone has/wears merino wool or base layers for around the home etc? I am super irritated with heat in summer, and extra irritated (arthritis) with cold in winter. Catch 22...haha. So, I was thinking oh...perhaps some leggings would help if they weren't so...tight, have seams that bother me, etc.

Any suggestions or ideas?

MWalker
08-14-13, 11:00 PM
If your handy with a sewing machine, get some linen fabric and make yourself something. Hard to find anything store bought in linen, but it is perhaps my favorite fabric for clothing.

ana futura
08-15-13, 01:35 PM
Yep, i love merino wool. Smart Wool makes nice stuff, available in multiple weights. If you an MEC by you they should have some you can try on. We have REI and EMS in the states, that's where I usually get my base layers and socks.

Also look at synthetic base layers with flat seams. I have some north face leggings with very well sewn flat seams that I love

addthree
08-15-13, 02:10 PM
Sure Marino wool is nice and does not itch.
LL bean(llbean.com) has socks and base layers. I wear wool socks
most of time. They breathe well and stay dry even in summer.
Linen and most natural fabrics usually stay cool and dry.
There is summer weight wool called Tropical Wool.

Sandy4957
08-16-13, 07:04 PM
Funny. Any merino wool other than Smartwool itches like crazy for me. But Smartwool is da bomb.

Expensive, but worth every penny.

ana futura
08-16-13, 11:41 PM
Funny. Any merino wool other than Smartwool itches like crazy for me. But Smartwool is da bomb.

Expensive, but worth every penny.

Intersting, i think smart wool's the only one I've tried. Good to know, i'll stick with smart wool.

someothertime
08-16-13, 11:51 PM
Yeah, merino is pretty snug :)

I recently purchased a base top from Kathmandu, $50 down from 159$, talk about markup!!!

Silly me threw it in the wash with the rest of my gear. Bad move... It now has 10 holes in the front.

Wash them gentle my friend, less than 40deg.

RedHairedWitch
08-19-13, 12:22 PM
I actually spin yarn. Yeah it's a thing to do with my hands while I watch TV or wait for the kettle to boil. So I know a lot of weird trivia about fibres.

Anyways, merino wool can be good for people with sensitivity issues. Other great fibres could be bamboo, corn silk, raimie, Tencel, silk, Viscose, soft linen ... and mixes thereof.

Basically lightweight natural fibres usually do better.