View Full Version : discovery for all post-exercise "wheezers" (exercise-induced asthma)

quickiB
08-14-13, 01:09 PM
I hope this is allowed. I saw my doctor for routine checkup and he asked if I exercise. I told him I use to run all the time and presently do so sporadically, since every time I end up wheezing and gasping for breath for 3 hours. He prescribed a Ventolin puffer, and I take 2 puffs before running.

It worked amazingly, and now I don't have to worry about wheezing. I've noticed a few people mention they wheeze and can't breath after intense exercise (beyond regular catching your breath), and that was a huge problem that made me averse to running.

Its "exercise-induced asthma" or something, and its a mild asthma that only manifests after exercising (lightly and intensely). If this sounds like you, just get your dr to prescribe you a Ventolin (salbutamol or albuterol?) puffer or something. I had absolutely no wheezing, or any trouble breathing or recovering, though sore muscles and aches notwithstanding.

Drewbacca
10-17-13, 12:51 AM
Be sure to have your doctor check you for symptoms of GERD/heartburn... this is often the underlying cause of exercise induced asthma.

Daydreamin22
10-21-13, 02:18 PM
I have this. Mine is called hyperactive airways disease. I also start to cough when I drink something really cold like a slushy.

Sandy4957
10-22-13, 10:05 PM
Mmmmm, yes, I have this, but no, it's not a mild asthma.

Your airways are muscles, and like any other muscle, the harder you train them, the stronger they get.

So when you exercise vigorously (I ran 400s and 800s in track, for example), and you inhale allergens or other irritants like ground level ozone, your airways can become irritated, and your body's response is to clamp down the muscles in the irritated airways (i.e., asthma). So you breathe harder to try to suck in more air, which means more irritation, which means more clamping down, etc.

So, two things that I learned about this after discovering that I had it sometime in my 30s.

First, it's good to treat the tendency toward irritation with a steroid or other medication. (I also take Singulair, Zyrtec, and get allergy shots). But it is also important to have a rescue inhaler and to carry it while you exercise, because IF you are exercising and tilt over the edge, you can die from the asthma attack same as any other type of asthma...

And second, treat it early and treat it continuously, or it'll get worse over time. It's bad enough with me now that I can't really run anymore. :(

Funny. All those years when I ran competitively, my teammates said they could recognize me coming up behind them by the sound of my breathing.... :rolleyes: Duh...

silivrentoliel
10-22-13, 10:10 PM
my GERD was mimicking exercise induced asthma... can't say it's 100% under control, but then again, I don't always remember to take my meds either :lol: