View Full Version : California Rocket Fuel

tambourine-man
08-15-13, 10:49 AM
"California Rocket Fuel" is a term which refers to the combination of Mirtazapine (Remeron) and an SNRI, typically Velafaxine (Effexor) or Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq). These drugs have a powerful synergism because Mirtazapine is a Serotonin Spececific and Noradrenergic Antidepressant and Venlafaxine and Desvenlafaxine are Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors. This means more or less means Mirtazapine will increase the amount of Serotonin and Norepinephrine produced and the SNRI of choice will block the reuptake of both.

I just started on 50mg of Desvenlafaxine this morning, and have been taking 30mg of Mirtazapine for nearly two months already. Mirtazapine is pretty awesome stuff. Severe depression resulted in my recent hospitalization and Mirtazapine pulled me out of the darkness in two weeks. SSRIs have never done much for me.

The main issue with Mirtazapine is that it is known to poop out rather quickly, which is why I opted to add Desvenlafaxine. I was also intrigued by the whole "California Rocket Fuel" thing.

I will keep you guys updated as time goes by. I took the Pristiq a few hours ago and don't notice any side-effects so far.

tambourine-man
08-15-13, 02:17 PM
OK, I can definitely feel the effects of the Pristiq. I'm an odd duck; I get very noticeable effects from the first few doses of SSRIs. 5mg of Celexa (a tiny dose) made my whole body feel like Jello the first time I took it. My first dose of Paxil (30mg) made me feel similar, but with a slightly dysphoric edge and weird electric sensations throughout my body.

Pristiq is my first SNRI. Right now I feel very relaxed, but not totally stoned like I did on Celexa or Paxil. I have ZERO anxiety at the moment. I feel like the edge has taken off the Adderall effect, but not really in a bad way. This is different than I expected.

If this effect persists I will really LOVE Pristiq. The initial effects of Celexa and Paxil which I described did not persist so I guess we will see.

Oh, I read on Crazy Meds that smoking cigarettes reduces the effectiveness of Pristiq but I can't find this info anywhere else. Anyone know if this is true?

425runner
08-15-13, 09:04 PM
Doesn't the mirtazapine or whatever it's called make you tired? I now take Prozac 2.5mg-5mg just to get that high - stoned feeling, it's quite pleasant after a long stressful week and I find the effects last a few days because of its long half life.

peripatetic
08-15-13, 09:35 PM
I was also intrigued by the whole "California Rocket Fuel" thing.

i'm this amount of stunned:

tambourine-man
08-16-13, 04:15 PM
Doesn't the mirtazapine or whatever it's called make you tired? I now take Prozac 2.5mg-5mg just to get that high - stoned feeling, it's quite pleasant after a long stressful week and I find the effects last a few days because of its long half life.

I take Mirtazapine before bed. Along with the Quetiapine it makes me VERY sleepy and VERY hungry.

I feel less loopy today. No side-effects so far. Well, no negative ones. Feeling energetic and positive.

tambourine-man
08-16-13, 05:51 PM
Well, I'm feeling a bit hypomanic this afternoon. It is a great feeling but if it intensifies it could be problematic. Pristiq is VERY energizing. Well, it is when combined with my current meds at least.

Pristiq is certainly different than any of the SSRIs I have been on. The norepinephrine effect seems quite strong.

tambourine-man
08-18-13, 11:35 AM
The hypomania has subsided and I now feel very stable. I give this combination a thumbs up!

Nate W
08-18-13, 12:03 PM
"California Rocket Fuel" is a term which refers to the combination of Mirtazapine (Remeron) and an SNRI, typically Velafaxine (Effexor) or Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq). These drugs have a powerful synergism because Mirtazapine is a Serotonin Spececific and Noradrenergic Antidepressant and Venlafaxine and Desvenlafaxine are Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors. This means more or less means Mirtazapine will increase the amount of Serotonin and Norepinephrine produced and the SNRI of choice will block the reuptake of both.

I just started on 50mg of Desvenlafaxine this morning, and have been taking 30mg of Mirtazapine for nearly two months already. Mirtazapine is pretty awesome stuff. Severe depression resulted in my recent hospitalization and Mirtazapine pulled me out of the darkness in two weeks. SSRIs have never done much for me.

The main issue with Mirtazapine is that it is known to poop out rather quickly, which is why I opted to add Desvenlafaxine. I was also intrigued by the whole "California Rocket Fuel" thing.

I will keep you guys updated as time goes by. I took the Pristiq a few hours ago and don't notice any side-effects so far.Glad you found a combo that appears to be working Tambourine-man.

I am on martazepine and dextroamphetamine. 30 mg of each per day. Either I am not depressed, or the martazepine is not working. Since I started both at the same time, I can't decipher if it is working. In fact, I have zero side effects from it. I was a little sleepy at first, now nothing at all. I think my appetite may have increased slightly. There again not sure. I have stayed the same weight over the past almost two years I have been on both medications.

The dextroamphetamine does wonders for my ADHD, energy level and mood, to some extent, though. Whether or not the martazepine boosts it, I am not sure. I did forget to take my dose of martazepine once (take just before bedtime) and I really felt off the next day. Hard to describe, just plain bad. That may be some sort of withdrawal from it, but I have days I feel crappy as it is. This was just a different kind of crappy, like I could not cope feeling.

--Nate

tambourine-man
08-22-13, 11:28 AM
I have now been on Pristiq for one week. The effects are not nearly as noticeable as they were in the beginning but I suppose it isn't actually supposed to make me feel hypomanic, increase appreciation of music and color, etc... I do, however, genuinely feel it is helping and it is certainly not making anything worse, which sadly enough is a very favorable review for a psych med.

I have seen many opinions that Pristiq is simply a patent extender of Effexor XR. I've never taken Effexor but extensive research leads me to believe they are actually quite different. To begin with, Effexor has a 30:1 5HT to NE ratio, whereas Pristiq has a 9:1 ratio. Also, Effexor only begins to block the reuptake of NE at doses above 150mg, while Pristiq is a potent NE reuptake inhibitor at the initial dose of 50mg, which is also the recommended maintenance dose, which does away with the need for titration, another plus. I may still go up to 100mg though because I smoke cigarettes and nicotine reduces blood levels of Pristiq by an average of 21%.

I think Pristiq pairs really well with stimulants too. Celexa, Lexepro, Prozac and Paxil did not seem to like my stimulants (I felt like they were having an argument all day). This was especially troublesome with Prozac and Paxil, likely because they inhibit CYP2D6, a liver enzyme needed to metabolize amphetamines. Effexor also inhibits CYP2D6, but Pristiq DOES NOT, another benefit.

All this to say that I'm very glad I chose Pristiq and believe, unlike others, that it is a novel drug, quite different from Effexor.

hollywood
08-23-13, 12:10 AM
Yeah

Pristiq is unique!

It basically rocks , current insurance won't cover
All generics
Sucks

tambourine-man
08-24-13, 07:41 AM
Yeah

Pristiq is unique!

It basically rocks , current insurance won't cover
All generics
Sucks

Yep, it basically ROCKS! I've got to say Pristiq is a good antidepressant for me. Pristiq and Remeron are the only antidepressants I've ever taken that don't suck and are actually really cool. I'm super happy I found this combo.

hollywood
08-25-13, 10:39 PM
Yeah I could focus clean on pristiq. My terrible insurance is generic ppo only . Wtf !

Flory
08-26-13, 12:17 AM
425.... I realise everybody Is different but when I was on 40-60mg of Prozac for ocd/eating probs I never got a buzz in fact it took weeks for me to notice any of its positive effects at all ...interesting

BellaVita
08-26-13, 12:43 AM
Remeron made me insane.

Eisi
06-28-14, 05:09 PM
We'll try out california rocket fuel in a few days. We have startet with 45 mg Remeron at night. On tuesday we`ll get in with 75 mg Venlafaxin + 4o mg Mph. Let`s see what ist does. :scratch: