View Full Version : LIST your fave books on ADD

Tater Salad
02-21-05, 11:52 PM
I am enjoying the discussions about each book, but me and the hubby (newly diagnosed) are going to the book store and want to focus on the good ones.

Feel free to add a short blurb to discribe the why... for example-
Charlotte's Web (dig the pig)

toni paul
02-22-05, 06:16 PM
Attention Deficit Disorder(A Different Perception) by Thom Hartmann.A wicked book for non adders too.A positive theory and different outlook on add as a positive personality trait instead of a negative! it is a must

meadd823
02-23-05, 12:19 AM
I liked Tom Hartmann "ADD a Different Perspective" I prefer the perspective myself!! Also Edward Hallowell "Driven to Distraction" and " Answers to Distraction" He has another one out now called "Delivered From Distraction" but I haven't read it yet. Lynn Weiss has some good ones out especially for women. One called "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy" Peggy Rumendo (not sure last name is spelled correctly)!! I usually check books out at the local library read them for free then if I want a copy I can buy it. Saves $$$$.

Spacey Cat
02-23-05, 11:22 PM
Learning Outside the Lines, by two Brown students. One ADDer and one dyslexic.
The aim is mostly for college students, but it's totally applicable to post-secondary/collegiate life.

michael5865
06-26-05, 02:34 PM
Drifting Too Far From Shore - (http://www.booklocker.com/books/1980.html) - A story about 50 years of life encumbered by undiagnosed Attention Deficit Disorder.

whiteraven
06-26-05, 04:06 PM
Adventures in Fast Forward; Life, Love and Work for the ADD Adult by Kathleen G. Nadeau. Discusses everything from diagnoses, treatment, and strategies for everyday life with ADD. The layout is clear and consise. She addresses the different issues faced by men and women and by people in different living circumstances. I use this one regularly.

Women with ADD by Sari Solden. This was very helpful for me, especially at first.

foldyclothes
07-01-05, 03:02 AM
Driven to Distraction

I lost the book so I can't give you the details such as the author but I'm sure you've heard of it.

livinginchaos
07-02-05, 08:49 PM
Driven to Distraction is by Edward Hallowell, M.D and John Rately M.D

I enjoyed Driven to Distraction and Kari Solden's Women with Attention Deficit Disorder

Pigeon
07-02-05, 10:06 PM
Women with ADD: Embracing disorganization in the workplace and at home. -- even though it's specific for women it really helps look at some new ways of embracing disorganization to fix it, rather than just covering it up

crime_scene
07-03-05, 10:43 AM
John Halverstadt: ADD and Romance really practical reading for ADD and non ADD alike.

fasttalkingmom
07-03-05, 01:29 PM
ADD Friendly ways to Organize your life

fasttalkingmom
07-03-05, 01:31 PM
Lynn Weiss has some good ones out especially for women. One called "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy" Peggy Rumendo (not sure last name is spelled correctly.

This is the first one I read when I started to wonder if I was ADD. I liked it :)

Crazygirl79
07-05-05, 01:16 AM
1: Women with Attention Deficit Disorder by Sari Solden...VERY helpful
2: Understanding ADD by Christopher Green and Kitt Chee...VERY funny
3: Understanding ADHD by Christopher Green and Kitt Chee...VERY insightful
4: You and your ADD Kid by Ian Wallace...VERY funny and insightful
5: Tourette Syndrome and Human Behaviour by David E Comings MD....THE MOST WONDERFUL BOOK ON THE UNIVERSE!!!!!!!

I'm sure there are many others and I've read more than this but I just can't remember the names of the books or the authors...lol:)

Sel

Scattered
07-06-05, 12:12 PM
I enjoyed all of Hallowell and Ratey's books, but especially like Delivered from Distraction. Gives a helpful and realistic picture of what living life treated his like with ADD and has lots of practical tips -- good humor as in all their books.

I also liked Paul Wender's book, Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder -- more technical but lots of good information and interesting case histories.

Scattered

Nova
07-09-05, 03:55 AM
meadd823:
'I liked Tom Hartmann "ADD a Different Perspective" I prefer the perspective myself!! Also Edward Hallowell "Driven to Distraction" and " Answers to Distraction" He has another one out now called "Delivered From Distraction" but I haven't read it yet. Lynn Weiss has some good ones out especially for women. One called "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy" Peggy Rumendo'

Amen to all of those !!
Amazon.com, has the option to buy used books, which cost sometimes, 1/8th of the normal price.
I don't buy books at regular price, anymore, unless I'm having an ADD/HD moment, at Borders/Barnes and Nobles, and can't refrain from buying SOMETHING there.

Nova

stori813
07-09-05, 05:52 AM
You Mean I'm Not Lazy Stupid or Crazy?!
By Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo
(A self help book for adults with ADD)

Woman with Attention Defict Disorder
By Sari Solden, MS, MFCC

What does everybody else know that I don't?
By Michele Novotini,Ph.D. with Randy Pettersen
(social skills help for adults with ADD)
A reader friendly guide.

Stephanie
07-14-05, 01:57 AM
Just yesterday I was looking for a thread about books about ADD - didn't find one. :confused: Probably just didn't look long enough. :o So here is what I posted about that:

Since my kids got diagnosed and later me too I have read many books about ADHD. There is not one book I have read by now of which I could say - yes, that is my favorite. I want to read more but running out of idea which to choose because there are so many.

Some of the books I read were supposed to be good but for me they were difficult to read. The letters were small, made my eyes tired, didn't keep me on focus. Or they had many titel, subtitles, highlighted passages - made me jump around on the page not being able to follow the text. Others were to medical and others had too many examples about other people. Many of them I didn't finish yet ...

My two favorites are:

Thom Hartmann - Eine andere Art die Welt zu sehen
I think the original title is "Attention Deficit Disorder : A Different Perception"
I like that book because it gave me the feeling that I am somebody very special. I am not wrong I am just different but becaue of that I am creative and that I see and feel things other people cannot.

Dieter Claus, Elisabeth Aust-Claus - ADS Das Erwachsenen-Buch
meaning "ADD The Adult-book"
This one was good to read. It has some very good background information in it and some information about how to improve in areas which are difficult for ADD people. For example it has plans in it how to organize yourself and your house. What I liked is that it doesn't say you have to organize. It stated out very clearly that you have to WANT it for YOURSELF and that you have to check hard if your goals are too high for you.

Now I am curious to learn more about good ADD-books - especially the english ones. And they must be easy to read. :o

Focusing
07-18-05, 11:22 PM
My vote is for Driven to Distraction by Hallowell as well as Delivered from Distraction.

JRJ
10-02-05, 06:40 PM
I'm with a non-profit that has a library with a number ADD titles.
There are a few well-formatted books--wide margins and organized so you can see at a glance what each chapter (even what page) covers. I recomend:
"View from a Cliff" by Lynn Weiss, ADD Friendly Ways to Organize by
Judith Kohlbeg and Kathleen Nadeau as well as "You, Your Relationship, and Your ADD" by Michael Bell.
If your children are still in grade school, "Learning to
Slow Down &
Pay Attention"
is a good choice.
Not bad advice for any of us.

Joan

casper
10-03-05, 12:35 AM
Learning Between the Lines. Its a book written by a guy who has dslexica and one who is ADHD. A great book I would recomend to any HS or college student. But just them, anyone would benifit from reading this book.

hoochycoochyman
06-12-06, 05:23 PM
Thom Hartmann's stuff really helped me. ADHD is what "they" the farmers, call the completely normal condition that we have. The "D" is from their perspective, because the diagnosis was not created by us, but by them. I think that ADHD is actually a perjorative term, really if we all got together and were given the opportunity to name what we have - would we call it a disorder? I wouldn't. The "D" is only a disorder if being different is wrong. the Ds in ADHD stand for DENIGRATION and DENIAL of the gifts that come along with being a hunter.

dormammau2008
06-12-06, 07:06 PM
hi hoocky wellcome to the froumsss not seen you befor but a warm wellcome my 5 books humm i have to find the names two them brb dorm

lbawd
06-13-06, 10:21 PM
Is this your child - My bible of weird information
Understanding Girls with ADHD
Driven to Distraction
Delivered from Distraction (still plugging through this one)

zoneout
06-13-06, 11:57 PM
If I could only have 3 books about ADD on my shelf .....

Delivered from Distraction - very up to date and the advice in it helps me move forward with my life and to feel better.

Healing ADD by Dr Amen - this is the most precise book about ADD and covers info that others hardly cover at all. If you really want to understand what ADD is about - this is the book. Amen is ahead of his time.

Driven To Distraction - A classic - nuff said.

dormammau2008
06-14-06, 07:09 PM
the peper mint man is a fav ofve mine as is the womps and my newset one nightwing witch i loved .. dorm

zoneout
07-11-06, 03:42 PM
Update...If I could only have 4 books about ADD on my shelf .....

You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy? - Just finished this one - IT IS EXCELLENT. There is an updated edition which just came out a few months ago. The last few chapters are brand new and includes info that has come to light since the original book 10 years ago. This is a must have.

Delivered from Distraction - very up to date and the advice in it helps me move forward with my life and to feel better.

Healing ADD by Dr Amen - this is the most precise book about ADD and covers info that others hardly cover at all. If you really want to understand what ADD is about - this is the book. Amen is ahead of his time.

Driven To Distraction - A classic - nuff said.
<!-- / message -->

zoneout
08-06-06, 05:33 PM
"When Too Much Isn't Enough" by Wendy Richardson. What a great book!! Very up to date and loaded with great info covered no place else.
<!-- / message -->

VisualImagery
08-06-06, 07:21 PM
So many books, how do I choose? It would depend on the environmental, psychological, and biological influences in my life at that particular point in time.

Is this not a classical ADD answer? Plus, I love books, no limit allowed. I just want the lowest price, used are just fine, :soapbox: and to avoid reading the same ADD stuff in each book. I don't need ADD 101 in everybook. Possibly a one or two page refresher of info pertinent to the subject of the book, but not the how to get dx'd and all the basics all the time. :soapbox: I do like the soapbox smilie! You know when I rant :D .

----------------------------------
Right now, I am working on The Big Picture of my So-Called ADD Life, reading these books, and using my collection of ADD books for reference and making comparisons.
The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius
Jacobsen, Mary-Elaine, PsyD. $15.00

Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
Csikszentmihalyi, Mihaly, PhD. $15.00
Many ADDers are gifted and the characteristics of gifted adults have many corelations with Adult ADD. Creativity and Flow are greatly impacted by attentional difficulties-i.e. ADD/ADHD. Though not specifically ADD, they are so tightly interwoven in my life, I cannot separate one from the other. I am very interested in understanding the impact of my ADD on my creativity and ability to be the creative, gifted, ADD person I am in a culture that often equates different with wrong.(Jacobsen)

I am creating a kind of flow/comparison chart of my ADD characteristics, learning and working styles*, the characteristics of gifted adults-this has been confirmed by my school records, and the characteristics of flow and creating flow as they relate to my ADD characteristics. For added interest, I am putting in my Fibromyalgia and other medical condition symptoms, again there are overlaps with ADD.

While reading, I noticed similarities among these areas and believe this will help me, MD, and my PhD determine the best medical treatment, workplace and school (when I go back) accommodations, direction for counseling, and my setting and achieving personal, career, and relationship goals.

*Creative Learning Centre, Learning style analysis, working style analysis, and teaching style analysis
*Sternberg-Wagner
*Myers-Briggs
*Mapp Assessment
Results of my MAPP Assessment-a great career assessment that is truly worth more than the approx $40.00 I paid-a valid tool, used by career counselors and many other people.

It lists occupational clusters that match various categories of information about your personality, motivation, inter/intra personal interactions, and many more. Using this info will eliminate a lot of what if thinking when choosing a career. I will create a post in the career section on this later.

google MAPP Assessment and you will find links to the official site-I do not get kick-backs or any benefit from this.

zoneout
08-07-06, 10:19 PM
I am reading "Scattered Minds" right now. Just started it but so far doesn't seem very special. I'll update once I've finished...

dormammau2008
08-08-06, 03:31 PM
nightwing is one my favs books dorm

zoneout
08-16-06, 04:58 PM
Just finished "Scattered Minds" by Leonard Adler. Book is so-so and I would put it at the bottom of my list of favorite ADD books. There are plenty of horrible analogies and he gets into details of biology that are unnecessary and hard for an ADDer to follow. The only redeeming feature was that it has the best and latest info on ADD meds that I have seen.

Just started "Attention Deficit Disorder" by Brown. This seems like a great book so far.

zoneout
10-10-06, 11:01 PM
"Attention Deficit Disorder" by Thomas Brown (Yale Press) could very well be the best book available on ADD. It just came out in 2006 so it is very up to date. Brown explains the disorder (or syndrome as he calls it) better than anyone else including Ratey and Hallowell. He gets into all the different facets of ADD and the case histories included are the best I've seen. He explains things so that a even a non-ADDer can relate and understand. This is a must read...

watts
10-04-07, 12:24 AM
Just read through the three pages of posts of favorite books etc on the topic of ADD/ADHD. I didnt see Paul Wender, M.D. mentioned. I dont have the book title handy, something regarding Adult ADHD and treatment....I think it came out in the early to mid 1990's and is a classic. Look in the references of almost any book, study, etc. about this topic and one name that shows up is Dr. Paul Wender.

KittenPoker
10-04-07, 07:53 AM
I love the "Driven to" "Delivered From" and "Answers to Distraction." They have a prominent place in my bookcase. I even made Mr. KP read "Answers" so he could get a better feel for what it's like in the ADD mind.

THis isn't ADD so much but "123 Magic" is an awesome child discipline book for ADD children. I like it because it retrains the parent to discipline effectively without raising voices or demeaning the child.

zoneout
10-04-07, 01:37 PM
KP, Thanks for that reference to 123magic. I have an 8-month old who may very well have inherited my ADD. I have only studied adult ADD so I need to get up to speed for my daughter's sake.

Scribeman01
10-12-07, 11:09 PM
Mine is not a ADD-ADHD specific book, but a very essential one to help us in dealing with others: "How To Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

Skully
10-14-07, 11:18 AM
Driven to Distraction was pretty good. Got lost in all the case studies, but good information otherwise.

klg117
10-22-07, 12:41 AM
For women, my favorite is called Understanding Women with ADHD. There is one chapter in this book written by a woman explaining everything she wishes her non-ADHD friends and family could understand about her and it is wonderful. I read that chapter over and over again until the pages were falling out.

MissUnderstood
10-24-07, 09:25 PM
Driven to Distraction, Delivered from Distraction, and Answers to Distraction by Dr.s Hallowell and Ratey are very good books with a lot of great info.

You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?! by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo was great. I liked the way they added humor to it...made it much easier to read more at one time.

Women with Attention Deficit Disorder by Sari Solden is a book that every woman with ADD should read. It has a lot of helpful info.

Moms with ADD: A Self-Help Manual by Christine A. Adamec was a helpful book for me as a mom. I liked it because it makes you feel better about not being the "perfect mom".

Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms & Post-its by Terry Matlen This is a compliation of tips from women from all around the globe and from Terry Matlin herself. When I saw that Sari Solden wrote the forward for the book I knew that it would be good. I was right!! There are SOOO many useful tips in this book.

Adult ADD the Complete Handbook by Dr.s David Sudderth and Joseph Kandel. It's an older book (copyright 1997) but I thought it was very helpful and informative.

~M

Addesso
02-10-08, 07:05 PM
My current top ones are:

Delivered from Distraction - The one I recommend when friends have questions or are curious about their own possible ADD tendencies. I haven't read the earlier ones and I'm assuming they're the same but with older information? I'll have to check them to see, but this is the most current of the "series."

Healing ADD - Good book, but I think it's a pretty dense read and can lose some readers. Thankfully I'm so intrigued by this stuff! Very interesting theories about the sub-types of ADD and how to recognize and treat them differently.

Learning Outside The Lines - Helpful guide to understand, work with, and beat the educational system. Great and alternative study tips!

Getting Things Done - Personal productivity book that has literally changed my life--and it's not even ADD related! I was looking for a good ADD productivity/organization book, but was unsatisfied with the advice and tips to apply here and there that weren't entirely cohesive. This book is a complete system that is simple and easy to apply, but very profound once in action. Also, it's flexible and fits into more harried lifestyles (ours!) than more rigid productivity systems. I find it more "tweakable" too. I found this through comments on another book on Amazon.

ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life - Good general "tip book," tho I would whole-heartedly recommend reading Getting Things Done for anything relating to personal productivity and time-management.

Shadow Syndromes - Another non ADD-specific pick, but interesting reading about the mild forms of mental disorders that may plague many people unbeknownst to them. I think about this when I'm talking to a friend who is constantly talking about procrastination, lack of time-management and focus, or other plights but won't apply helpful suggestions because they're so sure they don't have ADD, or that they're so successful in other areas of their lives. Losing the forest for the trees?

Bryanh30
02-11-08, 08:52 AM
Well, of course I am going to say " One Boy's Struggle: A Memoir - Surviving Life with Undiagnosed ADD "

And my second favorit book is: "Taking Charge of ADHD"

~boots~
02-11-08, 08:54 AM
LOL..Bryan..ever the salesman.. I am waiting for my copy of "one boys memoirs"

chickatty
07-14-08, 02:40 PM
Has anyone read Dr. Amen's "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life"?

ResilientFighter
07-16-08, 12:32 AM
You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?! by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo

Dex4Me
07-16-08, 03:06 AM
Driven to Distraction, Delivered from Distraction, and Answers to Distraction, by Hallowell and Ratey. This series is the best in my view, and the frist one of this series was the one I used to diagnose myself with ADD when I was 40.

You Mean I'm not Lazy, Stupid, or Crazy?! by Kate Kelly and Peggy Ramundo. Good read. I lend this one to friends that want to know more about ADD, and if I suspect that they have ADD.

Shadow Syndromes: The Mild Forms of Major Mental Disorders That Sabotage Us by Ratey. Another good Ratey book, it delves into the nuances and details of anxiety disorders similar to ADD. I was able to use it to boil my anxiety issues down to ADD-with hyperactivity and rule out most of the others (though I have some OCD tendancies). I was also able to use it to figure out that my mother has bipolar disorder. A good read.

:cool:Dex4Me

browneyes_326
09-24-08, 12:37 AM
Adventures in Fast Forward; Life, Love and Work for the ADD Adult by Kathleen G. Nadeau. Discusses everything from diagnoses, treatment, and strategies for everyday life with ADD. The layout is clear and consise. She addresses the different issues faced by men and women and by people in different living circumstances. I use this one regularly.

Women with ADD by Sari Solden. This was very helpful for me, especially at first.

HIGHLY recommend Women with ADD by Sari Solden, for newly diagnosed women ... It takes you down a road starting from childhood ... I have scribbles all over this book and gasped out loud numerous times while reading ... also gave a copy to my Mother :)

The other 'philosophy' I like is "Change your brain, Change you life" by Dr Amen ... I say philosophy because I've seen him speak on PBS but not yet read his book. This book can help anyone increase brain function BUT he's heavy on ADD issues and for anyone who is interested in the science of our brain function will like this one.

momx3
09-24-08, 11:52 AM
I've only just begun reading books on ADHD to better understand what my 11 yr old son is going through, but I have recently completed

Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can do About it (US paperback edition), by Dr. Gabor Mate.

I chose this book first because of the author's real life experience, and the title also grabbed me. It is an older book, 1999, but it still seemed like a good enough starting point for me to learn more about the "disorder" (I don't like that word). I really enjoyed it although I got a little lost in the beginning when he actually explains the functionings of the brain (a bit too technical for me). The best part about the book is it opened my eyes to the fact that MY behavior as a parent needed to change if I wanted to see my sons behavior change. It may be hard for some to swallow, but the way I see things is there is always room for improvement in myself, so I keep my mind wide open!
I have just started the next book and am excited to get further into it:

Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons that Medicine Cannot Teach, Vincent Monastra, PhD.

I will give an update as soon as I complete it. I am all about teaching my son, myself, and my family how to learn better ways of managing not just this "disorder", but life in general-and do it together.
Thank you all for all the insight you provide me as a mom trying to learn more ways to help her son!

chsguy88
09-26-08, 04:23 AM
Driven to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction

GREAT books!! I cant recommend them enough

momx3
09-26-08, 02:27 PM
chsguy88~
Thanks for that. I have seen those books recommended time and time again throughout the forum. Your post just pushed me to order them. I was hesitant to order Driven to Distraction due to its age, but after seeing all the recommendations for it it seems it still has quite the audience!

meriellyn
10-13-08, 02:14 PM
I also *highly* recommend Women With ADD. That's my favorite AD/HD book I've read so far.

Now I'm reading another Sari Solden book Journeys in ADDulthood. I'm really enjoying this one as well and it's perfect for where I am in my life, a few years post-diagnosis and feeling like I've hit a bit of a wall.

I'm also reading The Disorganized Mind by Nancy Ratey and like that one a lot so far.

I have You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Crazy or Stupid. It's actually the first AD/HD book I picked up. I like the writing style and reading what pertains to me at that point or what's related to what I'm reading elsewhere but it's not one I sat down and read cover to cover. Delivered From Distraction is another one I go through and find very useful info in but don't read straight through like Sari Solden's books.

I have checked out Driven to Distraction form the library but haven't made it through much of that one. Seems ok but isn't exactly what I need at this point.

ADDMagnet
11-03-08, 09:56 PM
Driven to Distraction by Hallowell and Ratey is one of the classics I learned a lot from. I also enjoyed Delivered from Distraction and the book Shadow Syndromes by John Ratey that dealt with various disorders.

If you are dealing with a child with ADHD, I would recommend All About Attention Deficit Disorder by Thomas Phelan. He has some great disciplining tips for dealing with ADHD children. He is the same author of 1 2 3 Magic.

Teenagers with ADD and ADHD by Chris Dendy was helpful and had tons of information but it took me forever to finish reading it.

If you are a woman with ADHD I would recommend Women with ADD by Sari Solden and Understanding Women with ADHD by Kathleen Nadeau and Patricia Quinn.

For an ADD Friendly book on Adult ADD, Adult ADD: A Reader Friendly Guide by Michele Novitini and Thomas Whiteman. ADHD Grown-up by Joel Young is a good book on adult ADD but it is more clinical.

One of my all time favorites is Attention Deficit Disorder: The Unfocused Mind in Children and Adults by Dr. Thomas E. Brown.

And if you are looking for a book with information and resources that is easy to use and locate, I would highly recommend The ADHD Book of Lists by Sandra Rief.

bouncingbear
01-27-09, 03:32 AM
I really liked Simply Special by Ben Glenn, and I'm currently reading Delivered from distraction, and I'm really liking it too

TerryM
06-17-09, 07:46 PM
I just read Dr. Ari Tuckman's new book and was very impressed. It's titled "More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD"

Terry Matlen, ACSW

radryan1979
06-18-09, 09:11 AM
I can't I've read any of these in their entirety, but reference them constantly so eventually I will have covered the whole book.

You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy
Driven To Distraction
Delivered From Distract

Meanwhile though I've been trying to put together a little on-line book store strictly for books about adults with ADHD/ADD, so needless to say glad I found this post, there are some books listed here I wasn't aware of.

Adult ADHD Bookstore (http://astore.amazon.com/neouad-20)

Check it out, any suggestions let me know, I would appreciate them.

Ry

alphalpha
06-20-09, 05:12 PM
I did like driven to distraction and delivered from distraction when I read them first...I have read other books too...but what I find is that most of these books tend to say the same thing over and over again...also most of these books are based on positive psychology...which encourages the positive sides of everybody...but as study and research has shown...adhd people are no different from ordinary people...except for their tendency to get distracted and being impulsive...

however I have to say that dr Halowells books are the best...he writes in a conversational manner and is very easy to read...this is expected..since he has an undergrad degree in english studies...

these days I have been reading "adhd in Adults" and "adhd : a handbook for diagnosis and treatment"...both by Russel barkley.... I have to say these books confirmed my diagnosis..much more strongly than either of other non-data based books....

I was always somewhat unsure of my diagnosis...since I felt I was not very truthful at all times, unconciously...for I felt the fear that my doctor might not see how I was feeling...after the diagnosis..I started feeling that I might have exaggerated a bit on some side effects....but it was good to know that clinicians do know these tendencies of patients...and do know how to recognize the exaggeration and down play them...there were some other discrepancies..although I remembered being very in attentive and hyperactive(at home, not outside the home) I didnt really remember how I was in my childhood at age 12..so most of the questions regarding my childhood characteristics were based on interpolations based on these specific experiences...my parents rating were 3 points lower than my own rating...my cpt results were not very convincing regarding the relation of my symptoms to adhd...

inspite of all these..i actually found that these aspects didnt severely affect the diagnosis of adhd...which has somewhat increased my confidence in the diagnosis...

I am still trying the understand these books..however these books are very "information-dense"..and probably requires a bit of understanding of how scientific research works...

Kane Augustus
03-02-10, 11:43 PM
Scattered Minds (http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780676972597/Scattered-Minds), by Gabor Maté
(http://www.drgabormate.com/)

kalimba
03-06-10, 02:00 PM
I just read through The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon.

The book is 95% from the perspective of the main character, who is autistic. Only at the end are there a few chapters written from a NT perspective.

Technically the main character has autism, not AD/HD, but I still thought I would post about it because I learned a lot about autism reading it and share a bunch of the same behaviors because of my AD/HD.

Dappadee
05-26-10, 11:02 PM
Personally I think that More Attention, Less Deficit by Dr. Ari Tuckman is the only book on adult ADHD to consider. I've read a huge amount of the others and I find that most of them are full of fluffy waffle, lots of talk about what ADHD is and case studies. But I just wanted some good hard factual, science-based information on ADHD in adults and then what to do about it and how to live with it. I really didn't find that much in the other books and there was always lots of talk about kids as well. More Attention, Less Deficit is presented in a ADHD friendly format and has all the information you could possible need without wandering off into strange talk on pseudo-science or fluffy ways to think about yourself. I'd advise everyone to check it out.

sans_serif
06-05-10, 04:15 PM
One classic I enjoy is Driven to Distraction. It's a long, long read. I recently found the book [I]Women with Attention Deficit Disorder[I] by Sari Solden at my local library and am so greatful for it! I had always thought I just got fatigued easily, but the book told me stories of women with ADD/HD who just got so overstimulated that they were tired all the time. It's an awesome resource and i would recommend it to any adult female with ADD.]

awaywithfairies
02-03-11, 01:00 AM
I personally like Garrett Le Porto's "The Da Vinci Method". It also looks at the positive aspects of ADD and takes a new perspective on it. I don't know his evidence base though...

mishellina
07-31-11, 07:44 AM
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a good self help type book that deals with bad behaviors ? For myself I have the typical interupting, finishing sentences , sometimes still blurting things out. Luckily Strattera has helped and things feel less scattered but I know it's only a tool and I really need to re-learn better behaviors. Thanks!

Caffeinator
08-03-11, 11:24 AM
"Change Your Brain, Change Your Life"
By Daniel G. Amen, M.D.
Chapters 7 & 8 deal specifically with ADD/ADHD related issues

"Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates And What You Can Do About It"
By Gabor Mate, M.D.
It's very in depth, this guy has dealt with ADD/ADHD patients for most of his counseling career, and has ADHD himself. His traces to sources and how they pertain to current adult symptoms are very revealing, and helped me figure out why I do what I do, more or less

"Driven To Distraction"
Already been mentioned by most folks on this thread, but still, it was the first book I opened on the subject, and the comparisons jumped off the page for me, was my first big eye opener.

fidgetido
08-03-11, 06:11 PM
I tend to liek the more scientific ones. I got a little bored with the ones with too many personal experiences or case studies. give me some red meat.... heehee... my favorite shrink Dr Sterling in Seattle where I saw him before moving to San Jose, has a new book out that is really incredible. well, i think it is. Talks about both the upside and downside of the ADD brain It puts a whole new light on several processes that are happening in the ADD brain. So, it is only a kindle book so far, but anyone can read a kindle book because they have apps for just about everything, including desktop pc. its called Adult ADD Factbook and the link to it is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CMHGGM

also love Barkley's 2008 book ADHD in Adults, What the Science Says, and also Buzz, A Year of Paying Attention by Ellison

however, Sterling's book is like no other and it is the most recent.