View Full Version : Apps and downloads for people who procrastinate or hyperfocus online.

mneves7
08-20-13, 12:26 AM
I have google chrome and you can get an extension called StayFocused. I love this thing and i thought you guys should know about it if you don't already. There are different apps and extensions that other browsers provide but so if you don't have google chrome there are others out there.

I have a problem with spending too much time on forums like this one and on other sites to the point where time looses meaning and next thing you know its 7 in the morning and I'm still awake or like what I'm doing right now I should be doing class work but here I am.

I'll be adding this addictive site to my block list.

So what the extension does is lets you set a custom time that you are allowed to spend on the sites on your blocked sites list. You can give yourself up to 120 minuets a day to use your blocked sites. Its not 120 per site its 120 to use all of them.

The timer only runs while you are on a blocked site and will stop running after so many seconds of inactivity.

you can also set up the nuclear option which can completely cut you off from all sites or cut you off from any site that isn't on your allowed list.

Its very customizable and it was designed for procrastinators which means there are certain walls and blocks set up to keep you from changing your settings on a whim.

Even though i know i can turn the extension off anytime i wanted just having something tell me "hey its three am get off the internet", is enough to get me to stop.

Sorry if this is old news, I just wanted to help because you guys are just so awesome.

Fuzzy12
08-20-13, 07:39 AM
Hey, thanks tons for the advice. I've been wanting to install this but I keep forgetting. I've just installed it and will customise it now. (Well, actually I installed it a couple of hours ago :rolleyes:).

Sigh, I guess ADDF will be the first site on my time-bound blocked list.. :(

someothertime
08-20-13, 08:57 AM
Thankyou heaps for that!!!

I reckon every single piece of tech should have such a feature / parental control...

The closest thing i've ever seen is the crappy desktop timers for work tracking some programmers use which require a bit of manual flipping about ( and don't block access )...

One of the most practical/beneficial suggestions ever put forward!

Fuzzy12
08-20-13, 09:13 AM
OMG :eek:

So I finally got myself to set it up. I've set a time limit for 3 websites (including ADDF:rolleyes:) for 2 hours/day (which I will reduce from tomorrow) and then I also used the nuclear option, with which you can block a site instantly. :eek:

I just worked..for 30mins :eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

:thankyou:

All right, Bye Bye Peeps, I'm off for another nuclear 60 mins :D

Uggh..I just remembered that I could just use another browser. Stupid, stupid brain, only remembers stupid stuff :mad:

If I can't stop myself logging in from another browser then I think, I'll just uninstall IE and firefox :scratch:

Tony72
08-20-13, 01:15 PM
I could try this, but I have firefox. And I'm using that as an excuse to not even look because I know I'd install and uninstall the program within 48 hours. If I had to I'd format my comp to get it off. Unfortunately the net just has too many ways to steal my attention and, even if I blocked the worst offenders, I'd still have procrastination avenues on sites that I actually have to use to get things done.

Fraser_0762
08-20-13, 02:49 PM
The problem isn't a lack of awareness. It's knowing what you should be doing, but just not getting started anyway.

I could set up millions of reminders and applications to block me from the internet, but I would still procrastinate and avoid the things that need to be done.

the dave
08-21-13, 10:42 AM
I found an add-on for firefox that does this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/leechblock/?src=search

It can do the things you described, and you can set categories to block : I.E all video sites/ streaming sites etc, down to time and day. So on Saturday you can give yourself more leeway if you like.

It also has a password control so might be good for parents or something.

G.Debord
08-31-13, 03:31 AM
A couple weeks ago I discovered a freeware app for Mac os called self control. You tell it what sites to block and for how long, and after you click START you are blocked across all browsers on that computer until the timer runs out. I mean really blocked. Im finding it useful, though it's not always easy to click START!

I've heard of another similar app for PC called "freedom" (yeah, who comes up with these names?), which is supposed to wk in a similar way.

sarahsweets
08-31-13, 05:26 AM
You know what would happen? I would set this up and then change my mind while flipping out and then be blocked lol

Weimaraner
07-01-14, 07:27 AM
I'm a computer programmer and when I find that I'm unable to stay on task I use the Pomodoro Timer technique (google it). Particularly, I use the Focus Booster app. They make it for pretty much all platforms, so I can use it on my pc, mac, iphone, etc..

I'm used to using the old v1.x version, and see that there's an all-new v2 version that seems quite different. You might want to try the old v1 version if you can find it.