View Full Version : Not sure what to make of this, a weird reaction to squeaking noises

mneves7
08-20-13, 12:37 PM
All of my life squeaking sounds would drive me crazy. When I was little hearing kids squeak their wet sneakers on the tile would make it feel like my entire body had an extreme restless leg syndrome and as with RLS moving around relieves the tension flailing my arms and running around stuff like that. Other weird things that would relieve the tension would be screaming and touching things with rough textures. This became fodder for bullies they saw the noise made me uncomfortable especially since I would beg them to stop and of course they would keep doing it to annoy me. The squeak sound isn't the only trigger if I accidentally cause the sound and feel the friction it makes it worse

Reading about misophonia I'm pretty sure that's not what I'm dealing with, people with misophonia have an emotional reaction to sounds they get angry or enraged. I'm not mad about the sound or anything.

Thats the only symptoms aside from having adhd, and its just this one sound/feeling. Good news is as I've gotten older the tense feeling has gotten weaker, and now it doesn't really bother me unless I'm already stressed these days i can keep a rubber tongue ring in my mouth and not be bothered by it.
Even though its not a big deal for me anymore, this used to be a very traumatic part of my childhood.

Piper30
08-20-13, 02:00 PM
There are other conditions that one can have which cause physical reactions to noise and stimulation (like feeling the friction) .. I do have Misophonia, but also other things which mainly all lead back to my Fibro/Lupus dx. Basically all my receptors are turned up. Good to hear this has gotten better for you since you have gotten older. I am very sorry to hear you had such a hard time as a child :( I can relate to that.

Fraser_0762
08-20-13, 02:06 PM
Squeeky noises ARE annoying. That's why you're bothered by them.

I can't stand being around people with very high pitched voices. Especially when they're shouting. It just angers me.

atSWIMtooboreds
08-20-13, 02:08 PM
Wow, didn't even know this might be linked to my ADHD. I don't think I get emotional, but sounds like nails on a chalkboard or people rubbing their hands along styrofoam physically nauseate me.

Fraser_0762
08-20-13, 02:12 PM
Wow, didn't even know this might be linked to my ADHD. I don't think I get emotional, but sounds like nails on a chalkboard or people rubbing their hands along styrofoam physically nauseate me.

That's because it's not linked to ADHD. Its something that bothers 99% of people!