View Full Version : 2013 Online Awareness EXPO

someothertime
08-23-13, 12:36 PM
Just a heads up for ya'll....

No idea how I stumbled upon this, not sure if it's tha same one mentioned in a few threads down....

Says it's FREE??? Hope they give out a bit more info on the schedule / topics.....

www . adhdexpo . com

Ariane Benefit
Sari Solden
Dr. Roberto Olivardia
Terry Matlen
Alan Brown
Laura Rolands
Dr. Ari Tuckman
Becca Colao
Cindy Giardina
Deb Burdick
Robert Tudisco
Laurie Dupar
Jodi Sleeper-Triplet
Dr. Rory Stern
Ronda Stone
Natalie Knochenhauer
Melissa Orlov
Jennifer Koretsky
Jay Carter
Dr. Stephanie Sarkis
Dr. Charles Parker
David Giwerc
Holly Oberacker
Tracey Goodwin

( Personally i'm a little sceptical about it's validity cause I can't see Dr Amtram anywhere? )

namazu
08-23-13, 04:25 PM
Hmmm...it sounds great, but I am afraid it may be primarily a marketing thing, based on the FAQ page:

"What is the difference between the Virtual AD/HD Conference and Online ADHD Awareness Expo?

The Virtual AD/HD Conference and the Online ADHD Awareness Expo are both virtual community events helping to improve the quality of life of people affected by ADD / ADHD.

The Virtual AD/HD Conferencefocuses on giving the attendees skills and information.

The Online ADHD Awareness Expo focuses on the products and services available to people affected by ADD / ADHD."

So it sounds like this expo will probably be subsidized by the companies and individuals who are paying to advertised their products and services.
Could be some useful stuff there.

They also say the expo will "include online events and activities where attendees can make life changing connections with each other."
(Kind of like you can do here! But it will be interesting to see what they offer in terms of events and activities.)

The conference part, which "focuses on giving the attendees skills and information", is definitely *not* free. :( $227 for 8 "master classes". (Cheaper than therapy, though, by a mile!)

There's quite an "ADHD Industry" nowadays...

Still, it's good to know these things exist! Thanks for mentioning it.

Amtram
08-23-13, 08:14 PM
I hate when they try to sell things to people who are desperate enough that they're likely to try anything. . .

The only name I actually recognize is Sari Solden, the author of "Women With ADHD," which was not too bad a book. Oh, wait, there's one other there who's made multiple attempts to market himself right here on this site.

There might be some useful information there, but namazu's right about the primary purpose.

fperkins33
08-30-13, 10:30 AM
Just a heads up for ya'll....

No idea how I stumbled upon this, not sure if it's tha same one mentioned in a few threads down....

Says it's FREE??? Hope they give out a bit more info on the schedule / topics.....

The list is last year's expo. This year's vendors haven't been "announced" yet. I think awareness is great, I think access to resources is hugely important, I hate my own propensity to buy snake oil.

Amtram
08-30-13, 11:12 AM
Then you probably want to avoid this. Lots of snake oil for sale.

fperkins33
08-30-13, 08:24 PM
Then you probably want to avoid this. Lots of snake oil for sale.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm learning.....I'll probably pass, lest I order 30 books with words like easy in the title or guaranteed on the cover.

I *do* think there will be some good resources there, even the marketing part. But given the clinical recognition of both the high rate of vulnerability within the adhd population, and the relative scarcity/uneveness of good treatment options, it is just hard to stomach some of the slick-ness in the adhd industry.

It takes a lot of executive functioning to be an informed consumer.

Amtram
08-30-13, 09:13 PM
This might help:

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.com/resources-2/thinking-scientifically/

someothertime
08-31-13, 05:07 AM
Ok guys. Well, seeings as I posted the link.

I'll attend as much as possible ( without paying a cent ).

I will report back to this thread from the perspective of an ADDer looking for either;

1. Day to day techniques + new tools
2. Real world "potentially useful" services
3. Amount of spam / sales exposed to and any hidden costs or catches.

Cheers...

amberwillow
08-31-13, 09:22 AM
I've listened to talks by Melissa Orlov, Dr Ari Tuckman and Terry Matlen before. They often do free workshops on Addclasses.com. They each have something relevant to share.

I was part of a pilot coaching group for Sari Solden though a friend a few years back... She is a lovely warm woman who really tries to help.

The event sounds interesting.

Amtram
08-31-13, 11:19 AM
You can get a lot of good information in various size chunks from many sources - you just need to be aware that there is nobody on this earth who knows everything and is always right. Be suspicious if someone's trying to sell you something, or if what they're saying seems too good to be true. There's no such thing as "guaranteed success."

ginniebean
08-31-13, 11:41 AM
Ok guys. Well, seeings as I posted the link.

I'll attend as much as possible ( without paying a cent ).

I will report back to this thread from the perspective of an ADDer looking for either;

1. Day to day techniques + new tools
2. Real world "potentially useful" services
3. Amount of spam / sales exposed to and any hidden costs or catches.

Cheers...

Thank you!

Unmanagable
08-31-13, 11:56 AM
You can get a lot of good information in various size chunks from many sources - you just need to be aware that there is nobody on this earth who knows everything and is always right. Be suspicious if someone's trying to sell you something, or if what they're saying seems too good to be true. There's no such thing as "guaranteed success."

Text bolded by me.

This event wasn't even slightly being pushed onto others by the OP as everyone there knowing everything and they would always be right. It was simply shared as an awareness expo for anyone interested in more awareness.

To those interested, go check it out and become more aware, if you choose to buy anything, become even more aware and check out your library for it first, or ask others if they've purchased it. Always be open to learning in ways that may or may not have worked for others. It just might work for you, or not.

Don't let the negativity of other people's perceived experiences keep you away if you're interested.

Thanks for sharing the info, OP.

Amtram
08-31-13, 01:42 PM
Nope, no fault of the OP. It's the fault of marketers of all stripes who position speculation as fact in order to profit from people who might be easily persuaded. If you visit the site, you will see that it's a convention much like a Home Show or an RV Show, in that it gives you information about the products and services that the exhibitors are selling.

Unmanagable
09-02-13, 06:33 AM
Wow. My apologies to you Amtram, for getting so snippy, and to the OP for bringing a bad vibe to your thread. I was having a really crappy day and it shows. I need to learn to disable the keyboard on those types of days.

Amtram
09-02-13, 09:35 AM
Absolutely unforgivable, Unmanagable! Nobody else here EVER has days like that, so you have no excuse!! :giggle:

someothertime
10-22-13, 10:04 AM
UPDATE:

This isn't a total danoz commercial. Sure it's "proffessionals" giving brief tips and mentions of their books etc. As a "virtual conference" ( read interaction ) it is quite minimal. Some pdf's n stuff in a "giftbag".

The video presentations albeit are somewhat "surfectual" are clear and provide some good tips and grounding.

So yeah, i'd recommend anyone who learns visually and is interested in the more practical management side of things to get over and take in some videos...

I learrn't a tip about getting to sleep. If you can't sleep, get up and stand there in a dark room for 5 mins LOL! Apparently the boredom makes you wanna sleep :)

Lidia - Mindfullness Interview ( basic explanation and some general implementation tips )

Dr Bertin - Family ( Good broad ( quick ) general approach and tips for parents - a sentance or two on his interpretation of mindfullness )

Terry Matten - Hypersensitivities ( Funny gal :), just an explanation although sweet tone and acceptance )

Roberto - Sleep ( Most informative so far and maybe Lidia's if you don;t know much about mindfullness - Good info and tips )

adhdexpo com expo2013

someothertime
10-23-13, 01:59 AM
Some much better tips in the videos today.

Here is a youtube link for those interested in the talks;

*http://www.youtube.com/user/adhdexpo?feature=watch

The talkers were;

* Jay Carter - ADHD Guide to internet ( 9/10 ) - Longish 20mins but good insight

-Discussion of apps and app qualities that cater to ADDers
-Great perspective and overall points
-Some good direction as to useful tools
-< Could have / do with more regarding tool usage or "habits" that make the tool effective
-Nice beat

OFNOTE: Automation, clearness of purpose

* Laura Rolands - Workplace Strategies ( 9/10 )

-Insightful and broad overview of how to decide on actions with mgmt
-Good input into space and distraction minimisation

OFNOTE: Alone time, working to strengths

* Alan Brown - Feed you ADHD brain ( 8.5/10 )

-Few references to his service
-Great expression of bodily care

OFNOTE: Protein, fun
*Jody Sleeper-Triplett - College transitions ( 9/10 )

-Good broad and specific hints for parents / dders
-Preempting, guidance and format guidance

OFNOTE: Longer term skills transfer/development, clarify abilities and match format to you, get help
Overall some good stuff

namazu
10-23-13, 08:01 AM
SomeOtherTime -- thanks for reporting back, and glad the expo had more to offer than pure advertising!

someothertime
10-24-13, 08:52 AM
Some more good topics today.

Sari - Amazing talk on acceptance and perspective
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11428

David Gweric - Interesting revisiting on strengths and enabling via clarity
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11432

Elaine and Dianne - Broad advice and healthy perceptive for parents ( function over form )
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11430

Dana - Some pointers on day to day organisation
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11431

someothertime
10-25-13, 05:04 AM
New talk from today, standouts -> Relationships and Challenges Treating

Ray Stern - Challenges Treating ( How to approach effective treatment )
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11435

Melissa Orlov - ADHD in Relationships ( specifically need for engagement )
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11436

Stephanie Sarkis - ADHD and Money
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11434

Laurie Dupar - Positive qualities in ADHD
http://www.addforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1516&pictureid=11433

someothertime
10-29-13, 11:45 PM
I am not going to summarise the last videos because I think you all get the picture.

I would like to highlight those by Bonnie Mincu and Arianne Benefit as of particular interest. I absolutely loved Bonnie's style and approach.

Regarding the other points of review. I think I got my first spam today, though other than that not too much in the way of propaganda.

Overall, it's been interesting. Sure, these guys all have various styles and perspectives. I think listening to their tone most of all, after spending a lot of time here, certainly brings some perspective to the overall journey.

So yeah, hope a few of you learn't somthing too!