View Full Version : Dealing with ADD and Bi-polar with a mood disorder...

Captain Da Da
02-23-05, 04:08 PM
I'm in a depressed state and I need...

HELP!:(

I just talked to my psychologist yesterday and was fine. I tried to help my fiancee who is having emotional problems last night (SHe is not ADD and lives 2000 miles away:eek: ) All of a sudden today I do not even want to exist. I try to keep up appearances (if you notice I post cheerfully in Chit-Chat) because I feel I do not need to bring my seriousness in there.

I feel like I never do anything right.
Everytime I make a decission it feels like it comes out all wrong.
I want to be a good person, but end up feeling like pond scum.
I want to make everyone happy, but end up making everone miserable... I think?
I lose everything. In fact, I am doing really poor in a class because I lost my notes and have been trying to "wing" it.

I just want to feel better and wonder why when I was diagnosed ADD they keep giving me medication for only Bi-polar?:confused:

Scattered
02-23-05, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry you're having a hard time of it. Mood swings unfortunately are part of both bi polar and ADD. Some ADD medications like stimulents I've read can make Bi Polar symptoms worse. That's probably a good question to ask your doctor. Maybe there are non stimulent ADD medications that you could take along with the bi polar meds. Don't be afraid to ask -- only way to find out.

Try to remember too that even though you feel like pond scum -- you're not! Forgetting or losing stuff does not make you a bad person (Thank God! or we'd all be in trouble on this thread!). Even impulsive or poor decision don't negate your worth. Find what you're good at and focus on that -- not on the thing you're not so good at! Something that has helped me sometimes is asking what I would do if I knew I was lovable. I don't have to actually believe this, just answer the question as if it were true and then act on that answer. It can really make a difference over time and with practice in how you feel. I hope you reach out and get some support from the people you care about.

Take gentle care,
Scattered

Captain Da Da
02-23-05, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry you're having a hard time of it. Mood swings unfortunately are part of both bi polar and ADD. Some ADD medications like stimulents I've read can make Bi Polar symptoms worse. That's probably a good question to ask your doctor. Maybe there are non stimulent ADD medications that you could take along with the bi polar meds. Don't be afraid to ask -- only way to find out.

Try to remember too that even though you feel like pond scum -- you're not! Forgetting or losing stuff does not make you a bad person (Thank God! or we'd all be in trouble on this thread!). Even impulsive or poor decision don't negate your worth. Find what you're good at and focus on that -- not on the thing you're not so good at! Something that has helped me sometimes is asking what I would do if I knew I was lovable. I don't have to actually believe this, just answer the question as if it were true and then act on that answer. It can really make a difference over time and with practice in how you feel. I hope you reach out and get some support from the people you care about.

Take gentle care,
Scattered
Thank you so very much.:)

Jesse

Gregster
02-23-05, 08:45 PM
ADD comorbid with Bipolar disorder is a difficult combination to treat. Stimulants can make things worse. I think the general opinion is that the bipolar is the nastier of the two conditions, so your doctor is going to focus on getting that under control before doing anything about the ADHD, since the effects of multiple meds can be hard to anticipate and evaluate.
I know it's easier said than done, but you should try to be easier on yourself - I'm sure that things are not as bad as you feel they are right now. A few bad decisions doesn't mean that all are wrong, and I'm certain that you aren't a bad person. Looking at things from the worst possible point of view will make things appear far worse than they are - It's the "Bipolar" talking!
Regards,
Greg

tractor1
02-25-05, 04:55 AM
I read an article recently about kids with both, and how adderall helped. I have seen this in at least one adult too. But they usually stay on the bipolar thing, as already said. Good luck

milauran
02-25-05, 10:58 PM
Jesse

For as awful and unbearable as it might feel right now, this will pass - eventually. You have to hold on tight to that thought. You are not alone, we are hearing you and are here for you. Your fiancee obvious finds much that is lovable about you, hang on to that as well.

You are the unfortunate victim of a brain that doesn't want to work properly, this is not your fault. You deserve happiness Jesse. Hang in there till you get the right combination of treatment, it will come.

Take care.
Are you seeing anyone for therapy?

Coral Rhedd
02-25-05, 11:05 PM
Captain Da Da, are you Bipolar I or Bipolar II? This makes a big difference in medication decisions. I am Bipolar II with a big emphasis on Seasonal Affective Disorder. I can take Adderall with no negative effects. I hope your doctor is educated in in medicating both ADHD and Bipolar and both of them together.

Captain Da Da
02-26-05, 02:14 PM
Captain Da Da, are you Bipolar I or Bipolar II? This makes a big difference in medication decisions. I am Bipolar II with a big emphasis on Seasonal Affective Disorder. I can take Adderall with no negative effects. I hope your doctor is educated in in medicating both ADHD and Bipolar and both of them together.
:o Embarrassing but true. I can't remember which bi-polar I am. I know I'm the less severe though.:confused:

Coral Rhedd
02-26-05, 05:51 PM
Regular bipolars get manic. They may talk impulsively (some talk loudly and rapidly), spend inappropriate amounts of money, have impulsive sexual behavior, temper fits, agitation, hear voices (some do), or get delusional (think they can fly, think they are God). I knew one bipolar woman whose mania always took the same form: She would think her mother had put a curse upon her clothes, so she would take them off and go running down the street naked. Needless to say, medication was an absolute necessity.

However most people with Bipolar I are not that extreme.

I have Bipolar II. Here is what it is like for me: I have cyclical depressions. The can be quite severe. I can have persistent suicidal thoughts. My "up" mood means I smile a lot, laugh a bit, and am generally optimistic enough to overspend at the book store or the music shop. This is called hypomania. It means I am just a little bit manic. It is controllable. That is why I can take Adderall with no bad psychological effects.

There is something else called Schizoaffective Disorder that is similar to a combination of Bipolar and Schizophrenia. This means that people can get delusions with mood swings. It has a wide range of behavior. Some Schizoaffectives are just very emotional, unpredictable, cry easily. Some really have serious psychosis.

Well, I am not a doctor nor am I an expert, but you can see how complicated it can get. That is why you need a doctor who can deal with all of your problems including the ADD. Even if you cannot take stimulant drugs, there is no need for your ADD to go untreated. There are alternatives. You just need to see a doctor who realizes what those alternatives are.

Captain Da Da
02-27-05, 04:30 PM
Regular bipolars get manic. They may talk impulsively (some talk loudly and rapidly)Yes spend inappropriate amounts of moneyYes
have impulsive sexual behaviorYestemper fitsYes
agitationYes
hear voices (some do) No
or get delusional. Yes, but very slightly. I can control it most of the time, but have had to go to the hospital.

Coral Rhedd
02-28-05, 02:19 AM
Given that, maybe stimulants aren't for you, but there are still drugs like Strattera and there is still the option of some good supplements. Two that I have found useful are L-tyrosine and GABA. (But check to make certain these can be used with your current medication. ) The first helps focus and the second calms agitation. Also, fish oil capsules and magnesium are useful. Other people find some relief on low or moderate carb diets.

Captain Da Da
02-28-05, 11:51 AM
Given that, maybe stimulants aren't for you, but there are still drugs like Strattera and there is still the option of some good supplements. Two that I have found useful are L-tyrosine and GABA. (But check to make certain these can be used with your current medication. ) The first helps focus and the second calms agitation. Also, fish oil capsules and magnesium are useful. Other people find some relief on low or moderate carb diets.
The current medication I am on is Depakote ER. I hope that helps you.

Coral Rhedd
03-01-05, 02:52 PM
Actually, I hope it helps you. Depakote is pretty standard Bipolar medication. I always got my results from lithuim. What matters is that you are well, stable, and that the side effects are bearable. It is the depression that is worrisome. What is your doc doing to treat the depression? Are you sleeping okay?

Captain Da Da
03-01-05, 08:24 PM
Actually, I hope it helps you. Depakote is pretty standard Bipolar medication. I always got my results from lithuim. What matters is that you are well, stable, and that the side effects are bearable. It is the depression that is worrisome. What is your doc doing to treat the depression? Are you sleeping okay?Depakote is all I'm on. I'm on my own with the depression.:( I guess I can make it to March 24. I don't sleep in what one would call a regular pattern.

Coral Rhedd
03-01-05, 08:34 PM
You doctor should be treating the depression as well. You should not be alone with it. Call your doctor and tell him you need something for the depression. Don't wait for the 24th if you really feel bad. I am not very high on SSRIs (because I think they can sometimes make things worse and they can take a very long time to work) but there are other antidepressants that are good.

Do you tend to get more depressed in the winter?

Captain Da Da
03-01-05, 11:57 PM
Do you tend to get more depressed in the winter?Oh yes.

I feel worst at Christmas.

Coral Rhedd
03-02-05, 12:42 AM
If this has nothing to do with Christmas being a bit of a bummer in other ways, you could be a seasonal-type of Bipolar. Here is how life looks to me just about every year:

Jan: Why am I even here? Crying moaning. Sometimes thinking of the big S.
Feb: same as January.
Mar: Thank God! The days are getting longer. Maybe I should live after all.
Apr: Allergy season! But at least it's sunny. My mood is lifting.
May: I love the weather. I feeeeel stable!
June: about like May
July: Fireworks! Fourth of July. Ain't life great!
Aug: I can't believe I spent $100 at the bookstore. Oh well, I feeeel good!
Sept: How nice it is to feel normal. I feel at peace.
Oct: Feeling a little low key but still okay.
Nov: Oh no. I can feel myself sinking.
Dec: Bah Humbug! Why am I even alive.

Captain Da Da. Every year is like this for me. Would you believe I cannot get doctors to take the seasonal aspect of my depression very seriously. In October, I am buying a light box.

Matt S.
01-26-06, 04:21 PM
ADHD was my 1st diagnosis and bipolar I was my second and I take adderall and topamax and the adderall makes me tired and always has so i know it won't induce mania