View Full Version : So many things fit--how do you work it out?

Tony72
08-25-13, 04:45 PM
So I was reading the thread on skin picking and picked up a new word--Dermatillomania--so naturally I did a google search. While I definitely have a bit of a problem with picking scabs and whatnot, I never considered it really negatively affecting my life and still don't. However, I clicked a link on that wikipedia entry. Then another, then two, and now I have 5 tabs open to google searches and each has their own set of tabs. Some seem to kinda fit me, some really fit me, and for most of them the qualities I share are also associated with ADD.

I know that, ultimately, I need to see a qualified therapist/psychologist and work through things, but I'm wondering how some of you may have handled a similar situation to the above. I'm going to continue doing a bit of reading on the disorders but I'm not going to go to crazy into them because I think the ADD is the most important thing for me to work on at the moment, and I probably won't make any real progress sorting through everything else without a mental health professional's guidance and knowledge. Still, wth? :confused:

And so I can either be rightly chastised as a nutter who's worrying too much, or reassured that it's entirely reasonable to inform myself about these disorders and how they may or may not relate to ADD:

Dyscalculia - I'm terrible at math and a lot of this applies to me. Especially the actual arithmetic that requires working memory, reading analog clocks, bad memory and/or grasp of mathematical concepts, facial/name recollection, uneven at best spatial awareness, and reading maps. Good sense of direction though. Unless my male pride is blinding me.

Dysgraphia - Essentially all the bad handwriting symptoms and the cramped hand/pain symptoms.

Dyspraxia (DCD) - Really only the clumsiness, hand writing deficiencies, and spatial awareness issues. The clumsiness could be from my hypermobility.

I was going to mention Nonverbal Learning Disorder but after reading four different pages where I fit all of one page, variable amounts of two, and mildly of the fourth I decided to check the DSM V and saw it was taken off so I'm going to do the same. I did read about 2e children and while it seems to describe my childhood, I'm happy to have found it now because there are parts that describe my little brother. Hopefully the knowledge can help him.

Impetus
09-21-13, 09:49 AM
it sounds like you need to take a break. Seriously, I think you're twisting your brain into knots...

that being said, I'm wondering why you're twisting yourself up like this? is there something specific you're trying to find?

dvdnvwls
09-21-13, 11:42 AM
The most important disease you need to look up is Medical Student Syndrome, because that's what you've got right now. Stop the so-called "informing yourself", which is nothing but wallowing, and get to the professional, pronto.

sarahsweets
09-21-13, 01:19 PM
I had horrible lower abdomenial pain. I used a symptom checker once. My diagnosis? I should get my testicles checked. I never rely on online diagnosis more than just a general map of the insanity of my mind.

ana futura
09-21-13, 10:51 PM
Everything you mentioned is related to ADHD. Not everyone with adhd has them, but many do. IMO if you have an ADHD dx there's no need to seperate it out like that. There's no medication for stuff like dyspraxia, so the dx is kind of pointless anyway.
It's only useful for kids, there is behavioral treatment available if it is severe.

I think with ADHD it's really only important to catch co existing mood and personality disorders- because they will impact the treatment of ADHD. The disorders you mention will only improve when ADHD is treated, they do not impact ADHD treatment in any way.

ana futura
09-21-13, 10:59 PM
it sounds like you need to take a break. Seriously, I think you're twisting your brain into knots...

that being said, I'm wondering why you're twisting yourself up like this? is there something specific you're trying to find?

I think that this type of thinking is usually related to anxiety. I was almost convinced I had bipolar until it was pointed out to me that my weird obsession about it sounded a lot like anxiety. And every "symptom" i pointed out was also related to anxiety. And of course I have a GAD dx, but I often still need my anxiety pointed out to me.