View Full Version : Past fibromyalgia / CFS - now rheamatoid ra

janiew
08-26-13, 09:34 PM
Not sure where to post so I will post here. Feel free to move if needed.

I am in the process of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. High labs on rheumatoid factor, white blood cells, etc.

Been feeling bad since I developed a rash on the back of my neck and lower scalp in January 2012. Started having joint pain and swelling in my feet and hands. Then ankles, knees, and hips. Have had neck issues since a car accident in my early 20s.

Looks like in retrospect I had first symptoms at age 19. And then every few years after. The symptoms were none specific at the time. Visited the doc at different times for unrelated joint, muscle, and body aches. Also with chronic fatigue in my early 30s along with restless legs at night.

Short attention span, need to work, and a lot of responsibilities kept me moving for a long time. Along with hopeful thinking after flares passed. Like denial.

My family doc is referring me to a rheumatologist. She won't diagnose me but agreed with it sounds and looks like RA after discussing my labs, history and symptoms. She doesn't want to treat it and she knows I don't want to be heavily medicated unless necessary to prevent damage and continue working.

Anyway, I am at an interesting place. Living in the midst of a flare. Major pain and fatigue. Wondering what's next. I've lived with it for decades evidently but now the flare is continuous rather than intermittent with years of remission or whatever.

Not sure what I'm asking for with this post. I'm looking at diet, an elimination process, mindfulness techniques for dealing with pain, and stress reduction. Guess I am praying for remission.

RA is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks it self. It feels like a mutiny. My pdoc is asking me how I can still love and care for my body when it's rebelling. He asked how I felt and mutiny was the first word that came to mind.

However, I have to make peace with the insurrection. Live and deal while hoping for remission.

Hm.

janiew
08-26-13, 10:02 PM
Sorry I misspelled rheumatoid in the title of this thread. Sometimes I get the fat thumbs on the iPhone and whatnot.

Pilgrim
06-16-14, 02:46 AM
Look up Dr Trevor Barker, I think you would find him interesting