View Full Version : Not Happy With My Doctor

heytheredelilah
08-27-13, 06:41 PM
Today I saw my doctor and she told me she would get me started on an antidepressant for anxiety. She started me on Lexapro, which is an SSRI. I specifically asked her if it was an SSRI and she said that no, it's an SNRI. I am looking it up now and she was wrong.

What bothers me is that she didn't bother checking (on her phone or computer) was she was prescribing me. That really, really bothers me... I don't know how safe it is for me to keep going on and off of drugs. I have to wait months to see a psychiatrist.

Is there a difference between an SNRI and SSRI in your opinion? Also, how can I tell her she's wrong next time without offending her?!

TygerSan
08-27-13, 07:26 PM
Technically, I think she's right. It's a serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, so it's an SSNRI (one letter different). Closer to an SSRI than an SNRI (that would be something like Straterra).

heytheredelilah
08-27-13, 09:12 PM
Technically, I think she's right. It's a serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, so it's an SSNRI (one letter different). Closer to an SSRI than an SNRI (that would be something like Straterra).

Hi TygerSan, Where did you find that out though? On the link below and every other website I clicked on, it is cited as an SSRI. And I've been on Strattera before; I don't believe it affects serotonin, but rather norepinephrine exclusively (NRI).

http://www.drugs.com/lexapro.html

Also, I'm not understanding the differentiation you made between SNRI's and SSNRI's. I don't know much about them, but I know SSNRI stands for selective serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor and the other just doesn't have the word selective in front of it (but does select for NE and SE, so it's also selective to a certain extent? ....)

heytheredelilah
08-27-13, 09:20 PM
Oh, nevermind. I think you mean Strattera is a selective NE reuptake inhibitor. My doc was definitely using SNRI as meaning serotonin and norepinephrine though because she also told me it's in the same family of antidepressants as Effexor (SNRI), which Lexapro is not.