View Full Version : Breathing a BIG Sigh of Relief

JoJoCplus2
08-28-13, 10:20 AM
My 5 and a half year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD combined type back in April, about two-thirds of the way through her Kindergarten year. Pre-K was a total disaster (she went to a private pre-school, my district does not have a Pre-K program), and the K year got off to a pretty rough start. But thanks to a wonderful and extremely patient and understanding teacher, and weekly private meetings with the school social worker, she was making progress. Once we started meds, that progress accelerated and her last report card was simply amazing, from both an academic and behavioral perspective.

Given the fact that she ended up doing so well, the school district told me that the chances of getting her an IEP or 504 now were quite slim. I was disappointed, as I was hoping to get her into a collaborative/co-teaching environment for 1st grade. Since we of course will be continuing meds, they said that with the right teacher placement, and some one-on-one with the school psychologist, they feel she can be successful in a regular classroom for now, and we can always start the IEP process/testing if she begins to struggle.

I don't necessarily disagree with them, because she did so well in a regular K classroom. But I was very skeptical that they would keep up their end of the bargain. I decided to "test" them by asking for a specific 1st grade teacher (she used to teach special ed, so I've heard she is great with kids who need a little extra TLC). Since the school makes it clear that their policy is that they do not honor such requests, I was curious to see what they did given the fact that this was a special situation.

Teacher assignments came on Monday...and what do you know....she got the teacher I asked for! :yes: And, there was a letter in her packet from the school psychologist asking me to bring her in a day early to meet him (our Kindergartners and grade schoolers go to different buildings, so she'll be working with a different one than last year).

Fingers crossed that this is a sign that the school isn't going to fight me every step of the way. I know so many people struggle like crazy to get the school's cooperation....and I am praying that I can avoid a major battle for as long as possible. Wishful thinking, I know. But for now, I am feeling hopeful!

busymomonli
08-28-13, 11:07 AM
I am happy for you, but so jealous at the same time. My district has been nothing but difficult for us and the school psychologist is a complete moron (as she put it "everyone daydreams now and then"). The denied me a 504 plan and any and all intervention services even though my sons grades were on the decline in the second half of the year.

I wish I had a school that took my concerns seriously. Hopefully your daughter will have a great, successful school year!

Lunacie
08-28-13, 11:16 AM
Even with an IEP in place, our school stonewalled us in 1st grade and again
in 4th - due as much to the special ed teacher as the principal. We had a
different special ed teacher in 2nd-3rd grades that was awesome and my
granddaughter made so much progress with her.

But things were horrible when she went back to special ed teacher from 1st
grade who had been transferred to the older kids. We ended up asking for
a transfer, which was also stonewalled by the same teacher and principal,
but finally came through.

I really hope this is a positive sign for you and your kiddo and she will be
getting all the help and accomodations she needs to succeed.

JoJoCplus2
08-28-13, 11:35 AM
I am happy for you, but so jealous at the same time. My district has been nothing but difficult for us and the school psychologist is a complete moron (as she put it "everyone daydreams now and then"). The denied me a 504 plan and any and all intervention services even though my sons grades were on the decline in the second half of the year.

I wish I had a school that took my concerns seriously. Hopefully your daughter will have a great, successful school year!

I'm sorry to hear that your district makes it so difficult. Don't they realize its in everyone's best interest when they help everyone succeed?

Our K psychologist intervened pretty quickly, but I don't think it was necessarily out of concern for my kid. Although my daughter has combined type, inattentiveness is the least prominent of her symptoms. Hyperactivity is her biggest problem, and her impulsiveness isn't too far behind. Before the help and the meds, she was quite disruptive in the classroom. I guess they felt the need to do something before other parents started to complain that she was slowing down the teacher's pace with the curriculum.

jeaniebug
08-28-13, 01:36 PM
Problems with the teachers, special ed and school administration are so hard. I actually started having panic attacks after speaking to my daughter's 6th grade teacher. My situation is different however, my daughter's disability is that she is hearing impaired.

In the IEP meeting, her teacher said "who is supposed to be doing this stuff?" and her comment to me on the phone was "well, its not fair to the other kids if I make these accommodations." Holy smokes, I was a complete mess, and so was my daughter. The special ed teacher was basically a Nazi! She had the mustache as well :eyebrow:

The silver lining is that I finally enrolled her in the state school for the deaf in Jr. High, where she was spectacularly successful. I realize my story is different, but wow, I had no idea that teachers treated parents like morons. It was eye opening. I was a lot more assertive than I had ever been before, for sure!

:eek:

Lunacie
08-28-13, 01:44 PM
Problems with the teachers, special ed and school administration are so hard. I actually started having panic attacks after speaking to my daughter's 6th grade teacher. My situation is different however, my daughter's disability is that she is hearing impaired.

In the IEP meeting, her teacher said "who is supposed to be doing this stuff?" and her comment to me on the phone was "well, its not fair to the other kids if I make these accommodations." Holy smokes, I was a complete mess, and so was my daughter. The special ed teacher was basically a Nazi! She had the mustache as well :eyebrow:

The silver lining is that I finally enrolled her in the state school for the deaf in Jr. High, where she was spectacularly successful. I realize my story is different, but wow, I had no idea that teachers treated parents like morons. It was eye opening. I was a lot more assertive than I had ever been before, for sure!

:eek:

I don't get her point. :scratch:
I can understand how NOT having the accomodations wasn't fair for your
daughter, but how would having them in place be unfair to the hearing
students?

Tmoney
08-28-13, 03:10 PM
Good luck!

When you said, "come in a day early to meet him"
Was that the teacher "him" or the psychologist "him"?

Is this special teacher a male?

busymomonli
08-28-13, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your district makes it so difficult. Don't they realize its in everyone's best interest when they help everyone succeed?

Unfortunately, my district is know for being REactive and not PROactive. They told me he must be failing in order to qualify for any help, so they will likely just let him fail. Sad :-(

JoJoCplus2
08-29-13, 07:49 AM
Good luck!

When you said, "come in a day early to meet him"
Was that the teacher "him" or the psychologist "him"?

Is this special teacher a male?

Her teacher is female, the psychologist is male. Its the psychologist that we have to go in early to meet. I'm hoping he's read through her folder from the Kindergarten Center (which has notes from their social worker and copies of all the diagnostic stuff from the neurologist and possibly notes from her K teacher) and wants to ask some questions and see her in person.

JoJoCplus2
08-29-13, 07:58 AM
Unfortunately, my district is know for being REactive and not PROactive. They told me he must be failing in order to qualify for any help, so they will likely just let him fail. Sad :-(

My district said the same thing, basically. Because her last report card was so good, there would be ZERO chance at all of her getting an IEP or 504. In order to go into the collaborative/co-teaching environment, you either have to have an IEP, or you have to be a "model" student (great grades, great behavior). She falls into neither category right now. So, she goes into a mainstream classroom.

The kicker is, my 3rd grade son has been in the collaborative class TWICE, as a model. She might need it, he's one of those kids who would do fine no matter where you place him, yet HE gets to go in there. Go figure.

Regardless, in spite of the fact that they are telling me no IEP and no 504 for now, they have made some concessions for her, which I am happy to see. The teacher thing is a BIG deal, they are usually very, very firm about parents not requesting specific teachers. I guess they understood my reasoning and agreed.