View Full Version : My n=1: Stoppingantioxidantsinhopesofrestoringinsulinsensi tivityandstoppingsleepapnea

avjgirsijdhtjhs
08-30-13, 12:34 PM
Starting my n=1: Stopping antioxidant supplementation in hopes of restoring insulin sensitivity and getting rid of my sleep apnea.

My background info:

1 - I'm a 5 foot 10 inch tall guy that was born in 1983.

2 - I found out about the health effects of omega-3s in 2010 and started taking them in the form of fish and fish oil.

3 - In order to counter the ease of oxidation of omega-3s (or at least their ease of oxidation outside of the body) I also started taking 400 IU Vitamin E (as DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate per day in 2010.

4 - Sometime in 2010, my sleep got EXTREMELY unrefreshing. I'd wake up exhausted and would remain that way all day (this's how it's been literally every single day (zero exceptions) since then). This is even after getting 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night for at various times a few weeks straight at a time (though for probably at least two thirds of this time, I'd wake up after 5-6.5 hours of sleep, get up and pee (no lights turned on, and no sunshine coming through the windows, since it's still dark out), and then either get back in bed and try to fall back asleep, where I usually had like a one in three chance of falling back asleep, or turn on the lights and be "up" for the day).

5 - Last year at the end of November, and having found out that I could see if I had sleep apnea (though I've weighed in the mid and even low 160's (pounds) clothed in shorts, t-shirt, shoes, pockets stuffed, etc for much of the last three years), and having found out that there're plenty of people that aren't fat at all that have obstructive sleep apnea, I found out that you could wear a recording pulse oximeter at night to check for O2 drops, so I bought one. On the 2 or 3 nights that I wore it at night, I had lots of back-to-back (like as in ~1 minute apart) O2 drops into the usually low 90's to mid 80's. I also had a sleep study in early January of this year, but did not fall asleep. I also have not had anybody obseve me sleeping in these last three years. I also had my adenoids removed as a 3rd grader (so 8 to 9 years old), because of some sleep breathing abnormalities that my mom had observed me doing (and at the time and ever since then until November of last year, I had never even known or realized that I almost certainly had obstructive sleep apnea as a kid - at least not until November of last year, when I had my "AHA!" moment and realized I had almost certainly had it as a kid, and then bought an oximeter).

6 - Okay, so 6 days ago I saw this: Sleep apnea is a manifestation of the metabolic syndrome (http://www.neurosono.com.br/arquivos/1075346903.pdf). I started taking Chromium that day, in hopes of lowering suspected insulin resistance (my fasting blood sugar (and having taken no other blood sugar raising substances like caffeine or nicotine, etc (had only taken a stool softener and magnesium citrate and water that morning)) at 1-something pm on the afternoon in October of last year was 102 mg\dl, and after that, I decided to cut out the potatoes and breakfast cereal (that were the two highest glycemic things i commonly ate), started drinking apple cider vinegar and psyllium fiber with meals that were even moderately glycemic (both help lower the glycemic index of the meal), and then in the spring of this year took it even further, and started eating the vast majority of my carbs as vegetables that were no higher glycemic index than legumes (which I ate a lot of)).

7 - Two days ago, I found out that antioxidants can cause insulin resistance, so I stopped taking the Vitamin E that day (the only other antioxidant supplement i take is some vitamin C 2-ish times a week to increase iron absorption (don't take a multivitamin either)).

So here are some (hopefully) juicy and interest piquing (for you) quotes followed by the article or study they're taken from (also, the reason that some of the quotes are a little fragmented is because when I see some text on a webpage that I want to remember, I highlight\copy the text, and then save the page with the highlighted text as the title of the saved webpage, and because you can only have so many characters in the file's name, I often have to cut off part of what I wanted to highlight in order to get the saved page's filename short enough - that, and I don't feel like hunting through the articles\studies to find the full quote). And also note that all of my further comments in this post will be in red:

First, it has beenreported that in humans and animals, insulin-
dependent diabetes mellitus can lead to an overall
depression in ventilatory control mechanisms,
whereas both leptin deficiency and leptin resist-
ance may lead to respiratory depression in obesity,
especially during sleep.
Second, the reported
inflammation of upper airway tissues may be
related primarily to obesity, a condition of systemic
inflammation. Third, obesity/insulin resistance, by
releasing growth factors, may lead to soft tissue
edema in the neck. Finally, male type of obesity
(central) may impact more severely on upper
airway function than female type of obesity
(peripheral).
Thus, the observed hypercytokine-
mia, hyperleptinemia, and hyperinsulinemia/visc-
eral adiposity, through central and peripheral
effects, may lead to a collapse of the upper airway
during sleep. <------- What I am hoping is that stopping the vitamin E and possibly including some sort of exercise will be all that is needed to decrease suspected insulin resistance that is causing highly suspected sleep apnea. If not that, then I figure I should try the Leptin Reset in addition to stopping the vitamin E.

Sleep apnea is a manifestation of the metabolic syndrome (http://www.neurosono.com.br/arquivos/1075346903.pdf)

high doses of antioxidants may interfere with cellular processes in a way that increases insulin resistance

He said oxidative stress may be working not to damage the body but to inhibit enzymes that hurt the body's ability to use insulin early on in the development of diabetes, and that antioxidants remove this protective mechanism.

Antioxidant Vitamins Raise Insulin Resistance and Render Exercise Useless
(http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2009/10/antioxidant-vitamins-raise-insulin.html)
Exercise increased parameters of insulin sensitivity (GIR and plasma adiponectin) only in the absence of antioxidants in both

the increase in insulin sensitivity following physical exercise are almost completely abrogated by daily ingestion of the commonly used antioxidants vitamin C and vitamin E

mitohormesis, exercise-induced oxidative stress ameliorates insulin resistance and causes an adaptive response promoting endogenous antioxidant defense capacity

mediators of endogenous ROS defense (superoxide dismutases 1 and 2; glutathione peroxidase) were also induced by exercise, and this effect too was blocked by antioxidant supplementation

in addition to the increase in insulin sensitivity following exercise-induced ROS formation, we also observe an induction of all relevant ROS defense enzyme expression levels, namely

were obtained in models of continuous exposure to increased levels of ROS (24, 25), whereas our current findings and those of other studies (23, 26) may reflect transient increases in ROS

strongly suggest that oxidative stress can be instrumental in preventing type 2-diabetes

Antioxidants prevent health-promoting effects of physical exercise in humans
(http://www.pnas.org/content/106/21/8665.full)
Antioxidants may raise diabetes risk: study
(http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/10/06/us-diabetes-antioxidants-idUSTRE5955Z620091006)
(https://www.google.com/#fp=5a438696b5b654db&hl=en&q=%22How+increased+oxidative+stress+promotes+longe vity+and+metabolic+health:+The+concept+of+mitochon drial+hormesis+%28mitohormesis%29.%22)How increased oxidative stress promotes longevity and metabolic health: The concept of mitochondrial hormesis (mitohormesis). (http://www.jenage.de/assets/pdfs/library/ristow_zarse_EXPERIMENTAL_GERONTOLOGY_2010.pdf)

Right now, I'm reading this stuff on vitamin E half-life, since I've been taking 400 IU per day of Vitamin E as DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate for about three years now ------> Quantitation of [5-14CH3]-(2R, 4’R,
8’R)-a-Tocopherol in Humans1–3 (http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/06/29/jn.111.138925.full.pdf)