View Full Version : 504 Plans in public education

Mom of two
08-30-13, 07:58 PM
My 9th grade son has a 504 plan that allows him 1 extra day to complete assignments without penalty. He failed to turn in an assignment that was due today. I spoke to his teacher, mentioned his 504 plan and that I would make sure he had it done for Tuesday so that he wouldn't get any points taken off. She said that since they had already extended the date for everyone until today, he would lose 50% of the points for turning it in on Tuesday. My question is this. If all the children had the due date extended until today, doesn't his 504 plan still give him until Tuesday to turn in his work for full credit? I realize he should have had it done on time, but he does have the 504 plan in place. This is a new school and I don't want to rock the boat, but I do want to make sure they are following his plan. Please let me know if you think I am wrong in my thinking and he is no longer entitled to his additional day. Thank you for any help.

Totally confused mom!:confused:

Ms. Mango
08-30-13, 08:37 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums!

My interpretation of this is the same yours--if the class gets an extension he has one additional day beyond their final due date.

Do you have someone on the special ed staff you can talk to to clarify? Hopefully, if you're correct, this person can work with the teacher to make sure the 504 is adhered to.

Lunacie
08-30-13, 08:50 PM
That's the only thing that makes sense to me. If the other students get
one extra day, your child also gets one extra day PLUS the one day
accommodation. Otherwise he doesn't get his accommodation compared to
the other students.

Mom of two
08-30-13, 10:58 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums!

My interpretation of this is the same yours--if the class gets an extension he has one additional day beyond their final due date.

Do you have someone on the special ed staff you can talk to to clarify? Hopefully, if you're correct, this person can work with the teacher to make sure the 504 is adhered to.

Thanks!!! I don't know anyone at this school but I have spoken to another parent of a former student at this school and they seem to have a history of not following 504 Plans and IEP's. I'm going to try contacting the teacher by email to try and work this out. If that doesn't work I am going to move up the chain of command. If school level doesn't resolve it I will contact the district office. Hopefully I can work this out without rocking the boat too much. Thanks for the advice.

Mom of two
08-30-13, 11:00 PM
I don't know anyone at this school but I am going to give it one more try to work it out with the teacher. If that doesn't work I will go up the chain of command. From what I've heard this school has a history of ignoring 504 plans and IEP's.