View Full Version : How to use hyperfocus?

Kapios1
08-31-13, 07:02 AM
I want to put some things in order.Actually I am trying to fix my life.
I always feeled that ADHD was a gifted for me, but actually was my doom too. Now after failed in the boring(and easy eventually) in University courses, I am trying to make use of hyperfocus so I could study and complete some reasearch I do, But I can't get myself in hyperfocus mode to use it.I only have the negative hyperfocus daydreaming etc. Any suggestions which will help me?

sarahsweets
08-31-13, 09:29 AM
I can't control my hyperfocus if I could it wouldn't be an impairment for me.

daveddd
08-31-13, 09:47 AM
i believe what we call hyperfocus, is the inability to pull yourself away from a pleasurable activity

so i think your really asking, how do i focus on crap i dont like

you dont, not if you have adhd

Bethylphenidate
08-31-13, 09:49 AM
Having ADHD, I cannot command my brain to hyperfocus. I'm not sure anyone can offer you any advice on how to make yourself hyperfocus.

All I can tell you personally, is seize those moments when they happen (unless your house is on fire).

I want to put some things in order.Actually I am trying to fix my life.:yes: Good for you!

My advice would be, find other means of doing so, without "relying" on hyperfocus.

Canadian Mess
08-31-13, 10:36 AM
I can't control this stupid hyperfocus, it does whatever it wants, whenever it wants. I want to have time-outs and send it to the corner to reflect on its stupid actions, but it's not doable.

So in the meantime, I use timers like mytomatoes.com to regulate my time:25 minutes of work, 5 minutes of break (or a few hours of break if hyperfocus kicks in grr). I used to drink energy drinks to try to force my brain to get motivated on work, I've resorted to using the stress of deadlines to kick my butt into gear. I depend on my friend to keep me on top of my work by imagining we are competing and studying at the same time as her.

Essentially I'm trying to compensate for what hyperfocus and lack of motivation does to me. I'm hoping to find better strategies, but haven't found them yet.

Kapios1
08-31-13, 12:16 PM
i believe what we call hyperfocus, is the inability to pull yourself away from a pleasurable activity

so i think your really asking, how do i focus on crap i dont like

you dont, not if you have adhd
Yeah but if we could understand how it works, and how we can push our brain to use it , then we could convert the problem into a positive effect.
I just want to believe that we can be capable of use all of our abilities ,yeah we are different than the others but why not to be different in a better way?

My advice would be, find other means of doing so, without "relying" on hyperfocus. Yeah but is quite difficult of doing this, sometimes you have to do things that you dont find them interesting :/
So in the meantime, I use timers like mytomatoes.com to regulate my time:25 minutes of work, 5 minutes of break (or a few hours of break if hyperfocus kicks in grr). I used to drink energy drinks to try to force my brain to get motivated on work, I've resorted to using the stress of deadlines to kick my butt into gear. I depend on my friend to keep me on top of my work by imagining we are competing and studying at the same time as her. That's a good idea, I will try that!

Bethylphenidate
08-31-13, 01:59 PM
Yeah but is quite difficult of doing this, sometimes you have to do things that you dont find them interesting :/

Oh, believe me, I am just as aware of that as the next ADHDer. :lol:

I just meant that relying on hyperfocus episodes to get things done isn't really an effective technique. :\

Kapios1
08-31-13, 05:12 PM
Oh, believe me, I am just as aware of that as the next ADHDer. :lol:

I just meant that relying on hyperfocus episodes to get things done isn't really an effective technique. :\
Yeah, maybe I will try to use some apps to help me organise stuff so I could be more productive ...

daveddd
08-31-13, 05:22 PM
Yeah but if we could understand how it works, and how we can push our brain to use it , then we could convert the problem into a positive effect.
I just want to believe that we can be capable of use all of our abilities ,yeah we are different than the others but why not to be different in a better way?
Yeah but is quite difficult of doing this, sometimes you have to do things that you dont find them interesting :/
That's a good idea, I will try that!

i get what you mean

if its something you really like it can be positive

Kapios1
09-01-13, 05:30 PM
yeah that's quite true.

Spaced_In
10-30-13, 04:43 PM
I can sort of use it to focus on my work.
When I was in school I could tune everything and anything out in a very noisy classroom and get my work done.
My friends could never understand how I did it. I think, basically what I did was have the goal too finish whatever it was I was doing.
Doesnt work so well for me these days though, mainly coz I find uni boring.