View Full Version : Products for People with ADD/ADHD

CooperArt
09-01-13, 12:52 AM
So, I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid. My parents found the 'kids get falsely diagnosed with ADHD' thing, and took me off the medication.

Now I'm 19, and about a month ago, my doctor sent me to get an ADHD screening done. The results should be in any day, but considering how I was diagnosed previously, I suspect it will happen again.

I'm already on a ton of medication, for chronic pain, anxiety, depression, and panic disorder, so I'd rather not add new medication to the mix.

So I'm trying to figure out how to put my life together without that. Especially since I want to be a teacher. Losing papers and a lack of organization can be a problem.

I found a PDA in the garage, and I'm getting an upgraded one with a GPS in it due to my tendency to get horribly lost. (It took me three months just to figure out how to get to my school without getting turned around at least three times. I wish I was kidding.)

I set it to literally tell me when to do everything, and most things have an alarm.

I have:
Wake-up: 5:30 AM
Breakfast: 6 AM
Med time: 6:30 AM
Check pet's food: 9 AM
Lunch: Noon
Dinner: 5 PM
Brush teeth: 8 PM
Bathe or shower: 8:30 PM
Bedtime: 10 PM

Then, depending on the day, I have chores, and 'get in your car and go to class right now.'

I'm also getting a thing to attach my keys to my body, so I'll quit losing those. (I can't remember how many times I've done that haha)

Anything else you guys would suggest I get? Anything that works for you?

sarahsweets
09-01-13, 05:15 AM
are you certain you wouldnt consider an adhd med? They can really help with the issues you mentioned

CooperArt
09-01-13, 05:39 AM
Well, I'm already on three psychiatric medications, and one non-psych, so I'd like to start ratcheting down. It's a discussion to have with my doctor, of course.

someothertime
09-01-13, 07:18 AM
Routines
Narrowing in on areas that impede output ( like you have above with organisation )
If my PDA buzzed that much, i'd silence it and feel guilty!

If you going along with the PDA, that's good. It means you can follow prompting and have some ability to conceptualise time and future.

Simplicity, regularity and tools for your most inhibiting behaviours.

You mention not being able to find things... Are you familiar with some more advanced memory tricks ( visualising "stories" )...

CooperArt
09-01-13, 08:41 PM
Haha, the PDA is actually very quiet, and I have it set not to go off during class. So it's mostly going to go off when I'm alone.

As for losing stuff, I might very well tape things off, and stick a map to my wall, like:

Taped: Glasses go here
Map: Glasses on table