View Full Version : School Update

JenE
09-03-13, 03:06 PM
DS started at the new private school last week. The school only has about 150 students. His class includes about 16 students ranging from 6th to 8th grade.

It was tough week. Day 1, took over an hour to get him out of the car, he was attached to my hip, only went in for a little while and broke down in a heap at least 4 times. Day 2, he got out of car and went into the main building ok but didn't spend any time with his class. He did however, help serve lunch to the MS/HS. Day 3, he went into class about 30 minutes late but stayed all day. He got a little anxious at lunch but worked with a staff member. He went to all classes but math. I did not have to intervene. Day 4, he went into his class at the start of the day, went to all of his classes by himself and I saw him at the end of the day. We were very proud of his efforts!!!

Today, after a long wknd, we started over. :( It was expected but still disappointing after such a strong finish last week. But still not as bad as Day 1 last week. He said he didn't feel well and couldn't go in. We went into the main building where the elementary students are and hung out there all morning till we had to go to the psychiatrist. He said he would work hard at getting to class tomorrow. He told the dr today that he really likes the school and his class. We both told him that sometimes we may not feel well but once we get going, the feeling goes away. So hard for an anxious child!!

Praying for strength for him tomorrow!

Ms. Mango
09-03-13, 03:55 PM
:grouphug: It sounds like things are moving in the right direction, though! It's hard to keep the momentum going when you have a long weekend right away.

JenE
09-05-13, 03:28 PM
Whew, ok. YESTERDAY, was AWESOME!!! He was a little nervous but he went into his class and did great all day!!! He had asked me if I was going to leave that day and I told him I'd stay if he wanted. He did so I did but I never let him see me. The only thing that concerned me was I was sitting in the car when he switched buildings and he definitely looked for the car.

Was anticipating the same today but he totally fell apart. It was like the first day all over again! He broke down about 3 times and the only thing I was able to get him to do was visit his teacher during her planning session. I'm trying really hard not to do this BUT I blame Dad because he told DS last night that he needed to try and let me go to work and he told him the same thing this morning. ARGHH!!!! Yes, he was doing awesome BUT we were only 3 good days out of 6 and only the 2nd wk of school. He really pushed him too soon.

I was able to talk to DS and asked what was different between yesterday and today. He said he didn't feel good and he thought I was going to leave him. I told him he should have discussed it with me instead of falling apart. I reminded him I was going to do whatever it takes. I asked him to tell me good things about this school--he likes it a lot, the kids are nice, teachers are nice, likes the room setup and the structure. He said he wants to go there but he was just too upset to get through it today. I told him he HAD to talk to me. If he was not ready for me to leave him, he had to tell me. That has to be the goal in the near future but I understand what he's feeling, it IS a totally new school where he didn't know anyone. That's big for anyone, no consider someone with major anxiety.

We have a plan for Monday. I keep making him tell me so he believes it.