View Full Version : maybe new to adhd and alcoholism. I am just not sure

dihard
09-03-13, 07:21 PM
So here is a quick story... I grew up in a large family. My dad was an alcoholic. Several siblings have had drug addictions/anxiety/alcoholism. When I was younger (started at 10 maybe) I cleaned like crazy. I was cleaning bathroom floors with a toothbrush. We had no supervision at all. I was selling acid at 12 and away from home for several days at a time (doing lots of drugs at raves) and never questioned.
I am currently a single mother of 2. I was diagnosed with ocd a few years ago. After my second child I went through some custody and harassment issues and started drinking a lot.

I have trIed antidepressants with no luck. I stupid taking them and tried meds for alcoholIsm (antabuse, naltrexone, campral) with no improvement.
I think that I drink because of habit and anxiety. I do not think that I have ocd. I still like things clean, not toothbrush to floor clean though. I cannot relax until everything is fine. I cannot concentrate on anything at work. I spend a lot of time trying to organize my home life (appointments, classes, meal plans, financial stuff). I never follow through on anything. MY BRAIN NEVER STOPS!!! I cannot relax. There is always something to do and I will never be able to relax until it is all done. So... I drink. It makes me stop thinking. It shuts up my brain, my thoughts, my to do list.
I guess my question is... does any of this sounds familiar to anyone? I cannot stop drinking and I think it is because I cannot shut up my head. I want to go to a psychiatrist and tell them all of this but am I completely off??
Are there any meds that with addiction and adhd??? If that's what I even have.

MX2012
09-03-13, 08:03 PM
So here is a quick story... I grew up in a large family. My dad was an alcoholic. Several siblings have had drug addictions/anxiety/alcoholism. When I was younger (started at 10 maybe) I cleaned like crazy. I was cleaning bathroom floors with a toothbrush. We had no supervision at all. I was selling acid at 12 and away from home for several days at a time (doing lots of drugs at raves) and never questioned.
I am currently a single mother of 2. I was diagnosed with ocd a few years ago. After my second child I went through some custody and harassment issues and started drinking a lot.

I have trIed antidepressants with no luck. I stupid taking them and tried meds for alcoholIsm (antabuse, naltrexone, campral) with no improvement.
I think that I drink because of habit and anxiety. I do not think that I have ocd. I still like things clean, not toothbrush to floor clean though. I cannot relax until everything is fine. I cannot concentrate on anything at work. I spend a lot of time trying to organize my home life (appointments, classes, meal plans, financial stuff). I never follow through on anything. MY BRAIN NEVER STOPS!!! I cannot relax. There is always something to do and I will never be able to relax until it is all done. So... I drink. It makes me stop thinking. It shuts up my brain, my thoughts, my to do list.
I guess my question is... does any of this sounds familiar to anyone? I cannot stop drinking and I think it is because I cannot shut up my head. I want to go to a psychiatrist and tell them all of this but am I completely off??
Are there any meds that with addiction and adhd??? If that's what I even have.

Dihard -- to me it sounds very familiar. I do think you need to see a therapist. Finding the therapist that works for you can be difficult. While I do not take meds, you will find others on the site that do and research on the site will find you even more info.

I think the proper combination of meds and therapy would be useful to you.

But, take a moment and look at your good qualities. I find the desire to be organized a plus. Do not forget you made it this far.

Good luck.

dihard
09-03-13, 08:21 PM
Thank you for replying. I do not know how to get over this without meds. I feel like I am in to deep at this point.

Nate W
09-05-13, 07:45 PM
I self medicated my ADHD with alcohol for years. TRUST ME, you do not want to continue doing that. At age 45 and with 25 years of alcohol abuse, I gave up and admitted defeat. Alcohol whipped me into submission and I lost a lot in those 25 years.

My main ADHD complaint was boredom and yes, I too had non-stop thoughts and the normal ADHD complaints and poor self esteem and alcohol managed those for years, but your best friend alcohol always turns on you and becomes your worst enemy and wins in the end. It happens long before you see it coming.

If you wish to find out if you are alcoholic, ask yourself these two questions: If when drinking, you drink more than you intend to OR if you truly wish to not drink, but find you can not stay stopped, you are probably alcoholic. Alcohol does something magical and spectacular for the alcoholic and it does nothing extraordinary for the non-alcoholic (the normal, temperate drinker--the ones who leave a half-finished drink on the bar). Alcohol made me feel normal and care-free and not bored. For me, AA was the only answer and the thing that worked. The real AA, working the 12 Steps with the aid of a sponsor. I tried everything but AA first.

I would see a psychiatrist and see what exactly you have going on with you. I sense there may be more than one issue based on your description of your actions. And then, follow the medical profession's advice.

If you have ADHD, there is medication that can quite those thoughts and help you. If I had taken this medication when I was diagnosed with "minimal brain function" (the archaic term for ADHD) in 1967, I probably would not be alcoholic today. But today I take dextroamphetamine for my ADHD and do not drink and life is good.

--Nate

daveddd
09-05-13, 08:20 PM
i can feel your pain, im a former addict myself

i found personally, every addict/alcoholic has a reason, rationalizing or minimizing can actually make matters worse

like nate said AA or something may be a good starting point

you need to be clean for a baseline

sarahsweets
09-06-13, 09:12 AM
alcoholisim is tricky. It sneaks up on you. It begins as habit then escalates to addition/

dvdnvwls
09-07-13, 02:05 AM
dihard - I don't know if you have ADHD or not, but it sure sounds possible.

Don't try to figure out the names and causes of the problems - that only wastes your time - just find a good doctor and tell them the whole story.

Spartan_Worrier
10-02-13, 10:29 AM
I have the exact same symptoms as you. My anxiety was brought about by my adhd. I abused alcohol then because of anxuety But when i got my adhd meds i abused them too. Alcohol and add may be the cause of your anxiety but it's easy to fall into the trap of blaming stimmulant meds for the anxiety and then hit the booze to cope. You can fall into a trap of using booze to counteract stims and stims to counteract booze (square you up etc).

If you are prescribed add meds i really suggest giving up drink. You needtime just on meds to find out who you are. Alcohol lowers your self control and impulses.

ActionAimz
10-07-13, 10:16 PM
I have been going to AA for 30 days. I didn't want to, but it's been the best thing for me. It works -- truly. You'll find that many, if not most people in AA have other mood disorders. So people in AA, like none other, will understand what you are going through and you'll build a great support network. The drinking will never get better, it will only get worse. That is a guarantee.

Modafinilguy
10-08-13, 05:41 AM
Seems like anxiety and alcoholism.

Get a treatment program for your drinking, going on ADHD meds at this stage (especially stimlants) is a bad idea.