View Full Version : Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities (Split from "Am I Aspie?")

Reekwind
09-03-13, 10:50 PM
Hi,

When I saw your thread I felt that I had to get an account!
The thing is that I got diagnosed with ADHD-PI, OCD and giftedness i while back but I always felt that it really didn't fit.. like it just didn't feel right.

I did, just as you, learn to read and write exceptionally early and I've always had a knack for remembering random words that I hear or read, and for some reason I have som kind of innate understanding of language in general which makes me comprehend the innate logical structures of words and grammar.

From what I've heard that is a very odd feature of ADHD or even AS, and the other day I stumbled upon NLD, which is a "Non-verbal learning disability" which symptomatically behaves a bit like AS, but accompanied by verbal fluency, non-monotonous speech and a huge vocabulary.

The downside though is the tendency to oversimplify the meaning of things, which means that NLD:ers will learn a vast amount of words without really "knowing" the words, but still use them as they see fit. Keep in mind though that not all NLD:ers are gifted and as such everyone won't have that innate knack for language "deciphering".

Black and white thinking is really common.. oh, fudge it, I'll just send a link!
talking excessively, going OT and forgetting topics mid sentence is really common too, btw. Ranting as well, hehe!

Well, here are the links:

http://www.smartkidswithld.org/ld-basics/signs-symptoms/signs-symptoms-of-nld

http://www.nldontheweb.org/

And this! If you can read that, and are able to decipher it as totally comprehendable, you "probably" have NLD. That is how my "brain-clutter" manifests itself, atleast. Have in mind though that I've got OCD too, Which seems to be a very common comorbidity.

http://nldrecognition.wordpress.com/

Hope that I've been able to help! :)

/Regards, Jesper.

Reekwind
09-04-13, 12:29 AM
I'm more than happy to be of service in regards to discussing the "disorder" if anyone would feel inclined.

Speaking of the devil! I just remembered that speaking, or ranting for that matter, generally works as a way of relieving stress/anxiety for people with NLD. To me that has always been a major factor concerning my need to engage in long and reflective philosophical "dialogues" with people.

The thing though is that when speaking face to face, the NLD:er has a lot of trouble managing his/her emotional intensity and tends to speak extremely fast and will almost never care about social cues and norms. I'd say that it at times reaches manical proportions, If the topic is one that generates passion!

Yeah, as I said, just ask if anyone would be in need of me.
The probability of me being able to abstain from compulsingly posting more is quite low though.

/Jesper

Amun90
09-06-13, 12:50 PM
I have been diagnosed with both NVLD and ADHD-PI as well. My attention problems are mainly with non-verbal content as I have no problems paying attention to oral/auditory information for hours on end. So, technically not classic ADHD-PI.

NVLD is quite an under researched neurological disorder, even as of 2013 it is barely understood by the science community. I have personally experimented with various medicines/supplements to threat NVLD and what I find most helpful was methylphenidate for non-verbal attention issues, omega 3 for general brain health, and piracetam (or other racetam class of nootropics) for better inter-hemisphere communication.

MrsNewton
12-07-14, 02:18 AM
Hiiiii! This is me, also. Almost every single symptom. Are you guys still here on the forums?

MrsNewton
12-07-14, 02:21 AM
hi,
i've always had a knack for remembering random words that i hear or read, and for some reason i have som kind of innate understanding of language in general which makes me comprehend the innate logical structures of words and grammar.

omg!! This!!!!

the downside though is the tendency to oversimplify the meaning of things, which means that nld:ers will learn a vast amount of words without really "knowing" the words, but still use them as they see fit.

and this!!!!!!!!!

Little Missy
12-07-14, 08:37 AM
Me too! I'm glad you resurrected this Mrs.Newton, very interesting.

TygerSan
12-07-14, 09:00 AM
Hi. I was diagnosed with a learning disability in Visuo-motor integration when I was six. Came across a description of NLD when I was in college, and it fits pretty well, though I don't really have a lot of difficulty with abstract concepts, and I'm pretty okay socially, though I'm not the most outgoing person in the world. I'm not quite ADHD, have some autistic traits but not enough for diagnosis. I do have a large discrepancy between verbal and non-verbal IQ, though.

The overlap between NLD and Aspergers/autism is debated by the experts and clouded by the fact that NLD is not in the DSM as a distinct learning disability syndrome. There is a school of thought that says that all people with Aspergers meet the criteria for NLD, but not all folks with NLD meet Aspergers criteria.

Personally, I don't think it's that simple, and sometimes, depending on your symptoms and which professional you see, you may wind up with an NLD, Aspergers, or ADHD plus OCD and other comorbids.

MrsNewton
12-07-14, 12:45 PM
Hi. I was diagnosed with a learning disability in Visuo-motor integration when I was six. Came across a description of NLD when I was in college, and it fits pretty well, though I don't really have a lot of difficulty with abstract concepts, and I'm pretty okay socially, though I'm not the most outgoing person in the world. I'm not quite ADHD, have some autistic traits but not enough for diagnosis. I do have a large discrepancy between verbal and non-verbal IQ, though.

The overlap between NLD and Aspergers/autism is debated by the experts and clouded by the fact that NLD is not in the DSM as a distinct learning disability syndrome. There is a school of thought that says that all people with Aspergers meet the criteria for NLD, but not all folks with NLD meet Aspergers criteria.

Personally, I don't think it's that simple, and sometimes, depending on your symptoms and which professional you see, you may wind up with an NLD, Aspergers, or ADHD plus OCD and other comorbids.

From the research I've done some of the symptoms are the same, but not in the social areas. In visual/spatial/motor it can be hard to tell the difference, but otherwise it's not comparable.

I score normal when tested for aspie, but in the spatial/motor range I am off the chart. (In a bad way, lol)

Its really a very disabling condition that gets overlooked, because we tend to be exceptional with language, and in fact, use it to get us by.