View Full Version : Easy oats for breakfast

dvdnvwls
09-04-13, 01:43 AM
There are so many variations on the same old oats, but that's OK because oats are good and everybody's different.

Real cooks will laugh at me. I do it this way because it's easy, not because it follows any cooking rules. Note - this is not a super fast breakfast, but it's so easy that I don't care.

For rolled oats:

First, the boring basic idea:

- You must use a DEEP bowl for this, because if you don't they will spew all over the inside of your microwave and it's really hard to clean up. If you have to go to the dollar store now and buy an extra-deep microwave-safe cereal bowl, that's OK, I'll wait till you get back. :) (Hint: Corelle deep large cereal bowls work great for this.)

Got the bowl? Good. :)

- Put dry rolled oats in a DEEP bowl. (I use half a cup of dry. How hungry are you?)

- Add plain water, with a pinch of salt if you need it (I don't). (You decide how much water. Whatever I tell you, you won't like it anyway. Just experiment. After a couple of tries you'll get the water just right for yourself.)

- Microwave until cooked enough for you. If you like them almost not cooked at all, or if you cook them till they disintegrate, fine, whatever.

Variations:

Variation 1: Before you start, cut up raw hard fruit (e.g. an apple) and half-cook the fruit by itself without water in your bowl before you add the oats and water.

Variation 2: Add soft or canned fruit at the end, when the oats are already cooked. (Soft fruit doesn't need to be cooked anyway.)

Variation 3: Add any kind of frozen fruit at the same time as the water and oats. (Seems to work out - the frozen fruit thaws but doesn't get overcooked.)

Variation 4: If you like your hard fruit to be extra crunchy, you can save it for the end - but you'll probably have to chop it very fine.

You can add nuts any time.

If you're a dairy-products person, add milk or yogurt at the end. (I've seen the oats cooked in milk in the microwave, but I think it doesn't turn out very well.)

I haven't tried pickles with this. Go ahead - make my day. :)

Different types of oats:

- NEVER buy the little packets of oats where you pour boiling water on top. They're terrible. If someone offered me that, I'd decide to have something else for breakfast instead. Like the left side of a Cornflakes box, or a small piece of my shirt-tail dipped in marinara sauce.

- Quick or instant oats are not worth the time you save, but if you've got some then eat them, they're OK. Old-fashioned (i.e. non-instant non-quick) rolled oats are the only rolled oats I like. You don't have to cook them for as long as it says on the package, unless you like them that way.

- Steel-cut oats are excellent, but they cook quite badly in the microwave. I cook them ahead of time instead, in batches of 4 - they easily keep for that long in the fridge, assuming you eat them every day. It's easiest to cook them the old-fashioned way, in a pot on the stove.

To make ahead, 4 servings of steel-cut oats:

- Get ready a 1-litre (1-quart) container with a lid, for keeping them in the fridge.

- Boil 3 cups of water

- Add 1 cup of oats, return to the boil

- Simmer on medium-low heat till almost done to your liking. (They keep cooking for a few minutes after you turn the heat off, so if they're perfect now, then you should have already turned the heat off a few minutes ago. See what I mean?)

- When they've cooled, put them in the container and into the fridge.

- In the morning, use the microwave: no water necessary; otherwise, follow any of the "Variations" above.

Whole, non-rolled, un-cut oats: Cook exactly the same as steel-cut oats, except they take a lot longer to cook - longer than a pot of rice. (They re-heat just as fast as steel-cut though.)

"Spicing it up": If you want cinnamon, don't add it before cooking - it turns into icky glue if you do that. Adding it afterwards works great.

Sweeteners: I find if I put fruit in my oatmeal it's already sweet enough. Suit yourself.

Protein: Oats are fairly high in protein anyway. If you want more protein, I don't have any advice besides the traditional - egg, bacon, you know.

Hope this helps one person somewhere...

Unmanagable
09-15-13, 10:18 PM
Thanks for reminding me. :)

I like making steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight.

I put the ingredients in a stainless steel bowl and set them down in water to cook in the crock. That seems to be less messy that mucking up the whole crock.

Quinoa is a good high protein substitute for oatmeal, also.

Some of our favorite flavors of both include maple syrup, honey and cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cranberry orange, and apple cinnamon.

Steph4136
09-17-13, 08:16 AM
If you get quick oats, they only take a few minutes in a pot stove top. For one serving it's 3/4 cup water, bring to a boil, add 1/3 cup quick oats and stir, cook for 3-5 minutes. I'm not sure how that compares to a microwave timing though....

This is what I have for breakfast in the colder months, and both kids love it. I don't add sugar, but do add cinnamon.

Also, the thought of having to clean oatmeal out of a microwave makes me shudder. That stuff can set like concrete!

dvdnvwls
09-17-13, 04:16 PM
If you get quick oats, they only take a few minutes in a pot stove top. For one serving it's 3/4 cup water, bring to a boil, add 1/3 cup quick oats and stir, cook for 3-5 minutes. I'm not sure how that compares to a microwave timing though....

This is what I have for breakfast in the colder months, and both kids love it. I don't add sugar, but do add cinnamon.

Also, the thought of having to clean oatmeal out of a microwave makes me shudder. That stuff can set like concrete!
Regular non-quick oats are processed less, and don't take much longer to cook. And they're less mushy, usually taste better, and have to be at least a bit more nutritious since they're not pre-cooked. (Quick oats are "quick" because they cook them part-way in the factory and then dry them out and package them. Same idea as instant rice - I'm sure you've experienced the excellence of instant rice. :) )

Rolled oats are very fast in the microwave, as long as you work out your bowl depth, water amount, and cooking time so that it never overflows. Especially if you like them with a bit of "texture" and not mushy. I like my rolled oats al dente. :)

Steph4136
09-17-13, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they're just cut thinner/smaller, not pre-cooked. I know the texture is different, but they're faster and I'm pretty busy in the mornings. Tbh, as long as it's not the instant packaged stuff, it's soooo much better for you.

dvdnvwls
09-17-13, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure they're just cut thinner/smaller, not pre-cooked. I know the texture is different, but they're faster and I'm pretty busy in the mornings. Tbh, as long as it's not the instant packaged stuff, it's soooo much better for you.
Nope. They are pre-cooked. Even reading the Quaker Oats website will tell you that. (Or at least it used to.) They do it by steaming them (works better than boiling).

Steph4136
09-17-13, 05:43 PM
I looked online and found conflicting information about it lol. So I emailed Robin Hood, which is the oats I buy, and asked them. I'm not anal or anything. :P

Either way, I like the quick oats as they're faster, and good for baking cookies over regular oats. I don't think steaming them takes away any nutritional value (the most important thing to me), but want to be sure so I asked them about that.

TygerSan
09-17-13, 05:54 PM
I've had pretty good luck cooking steel-cut oats in a mini crock-pot overnight (~9-10 hrs), using slightly less water than called for on the box.

Carolints
08-06-14, 05:50 AM
i love you for this! can't thank you enough! i love to cook, and i will definitely try this one! :)

TheRealMonty
10-22-14, 10:47 PM
wow! thank you for sharing this. i wanna try it soon :)