View Full Version : Adderall Welbutrin Combo, Starterra as an Alternative for Wellbutrin

draft9chem
09-05-13, 02:30 PM
M/26/Hispanic/5'8/194lbs

I was taking Welbutrin and Adderall together for some time and the combo seemed to work but My short term memory and working memory started to shrink or become foggy and inconsistent. Knowing that the smoking cessation mechanism of Welbutrin inhibited Nicotinic receptors responsible for Acetyl-choline production(Memory, Learning) I decided to look for other options. Welbutrin is the only NDRI on the market and the others were not approved by the FDA but have Amazing reviews in Europe and Russia and Asia and seem safer and more effective than Welbutrin or Adderall in one case. So I decide since Atomoxine was listed as a SNRI I might as well try it. Also it's stated that it is a NMDA Receptor Antagonist which Might be Helpful in my case and work synegistically with adderall and improve it's efficacy. I'm also aware that straterra acts on Norepinephrine, Dopamine and Serotonin.

I'm curious to see if anyone has had success with this combo Switching from the aforementioned or if they've tried this combo in the long term. There's a scholary article that covered the topic and showed promising results, the forums touched on a weird side effect of testicular pain which I'm expecting but nothing so far on long term efficasy just that they were miserable for a week or three and then quick and were back to the usual desperation that is ADHD in college life.

Special-Ks
09-05-13, 03:29 PM
How long you been on the Wellbutrin? What dosage?

I take Adderall IR 15 mg x2/day. I've been on and off wellbutrin long-term. I recently started taking it again. In my experience, I think 150 mg wellb is all I can tolerate - when I take 300 mg I feel foggy and weird.

I'm still contemplating the benefits/side effects of keeping the wellb. I've experienced the fogginess you describe, but I think it was just too high a dosage. It seems the right dosage can increase energy and motivation, but too much can cause ridiculous anxiety/stimulation.

I don't know anything about SNRI's though, but I bet someone else can weigh in on this one.

SuzieQQ
09-05-13, 08:31 PM
I am on Welbutrin 150mg x 2 daily. I also just started on Adderall 10mg x 1 a day. I do not feel foggy...or wierd. I actually do not feel ANY different then I did before I started taking medication. I have noticed some weight loss and no cravings for bad foods (Great because I was starting a strict diet before the pills)
I have noticed that I can focus on tasks a lot more now since I have been on adderall. But I feel that the 10mg xr adderall a day isn't enough. I go in tomorrow and talk to dr .

draft9chem
09-07-13, 07:13 PM
SuzieQQ,

You need to be careful with getting more Adderal but at the same time i understand when it's simply not enough and a second smaller dose gets the job done. Wellbutrin makes adderall stronger by inhibitting the Norepinephrine and dopamine receptors. Its also inhibits the enzyme cytochrome P450 CYP2D6 which is resposible for metabolizing amphetamines(adderall) and it increases the blood concentration substantially.

Daydreamin22
09-07-13, 10:31 PM
I am on Welbutrin 150mg x 2 daily. I also just started on Adderall 10mg x 1 a day. I do not feel foggy...or wierd. I actually do not feel ANY different then I did before I started taking medication. I have noticed some weight loss and no cravings for bad foods (Great because I was starting a strict diet before the pills)
I have noticed that I can focus on tasks a lot more now since I have been on adderall. But I feel that the 10mg xr adderall a day isn't enough. I go in tomorrow and talk to dr .

Are you still on ten? 20 worked for me ay first. It's the average dose for adults. But watch out for side effects unless you are still not having any.

draft9chem
09-09-13, 09:30 AM
So far its day 3 on Straterra and Adderall so far the adderall works...almost too good though. I'm currently looking into Memantine which has a lot of promise for ADHD. it's an Alzheimer's drug that's been around since the 60's and used for a myriad of conditions, also its quite safe.

Daydreamin22
09-11-13, 07:45 AM
what do you mean by too good? narrow focus? euphoria?

draft9chem
10-03-13, 05:52 AM
what do you mean by too good? narrow focus? euphoria?

well I would hyper-focus on one thing and negate everything else, also I would get incredible cravings for sweets on straterra. The focus was clear but after awhile I began to develop OCD tendencies and it became difficult to mediate what I wanted to do.

I've been off it for 6 days now and started memantine. 5mg/day starting dose, titrating up 5mg each week. the reason you have to do this is because memantine is an nicotinic receptor inhibitor which is responsible for acetylcholine release/production. Although it gives you brain fog or a dumbed down feeling like welbutrin it wears off within the week because the particular receptor it affects up regulates very quickly which is why titration takes one week.

At first things were subtle, I felt tired but that's the lack of norepinephrine from starterra. eventually my levels began to even out. My mood is stable, the adderall continues to work, so far no negative side effects like adderall alone. As I raise the dose I'll keep posting the results but I'll have to start another thread.

Also I should note I managed to really take a chunk out of my tolerance two nights ago. I took the following before going to sleep:

-1g Phenyalanine(NMDA antagonist/glycine binding site competitor)
-400mg Theanine(Downregulates AMPA Receptors/increases REM sleep=Sensitization to norepinephrine)
-3333mg chelated magnesium(NMDA antagonist)
-1g Phosphatidylserine(necessary brain nutrient/increases blood flow to the brain/improves nerve cell integrity)

needless to say I had trouble sleep due to the phosphatidylserine b/c it produes dopamine on its own and the other antagonists may have potentiated the little adderall that was left in my system. but the next day when I took my adderall, it was way too strong. I take it with 1000mg calcium carbonate(TUMS) which helps with the stomach pH but this time it was too much.

draft9chem
03-24-15, 05:44 PM
Went off this combo two years ago, it was a total bust. Currently on Memantine 20mg(10mg 2x/daily 11-12 hrs apart) and Ropinirole 2-3mg daily.

Karamo
03-24-15, 07:08 PM
Do you feel any distinct effects from the Memantine? I've been on it for what, two weeks or so now, started with 5mg/day and now at 10mg (5 in the morning, 5 in the evening). I can't say that it has had any noticable effects so far on it's own. I feel a wee bit "slower" than usual. The dex has a better effect but also worsens my already debilitating insomnia. I only take a 5mg dex in the morning and it (the dex) has a slight mood/focus enhancing effect for three hours before I dip below baseline (without dex) and while I become tired to the point I'm bedridden from 3PM, I still can't fall asleep until 4-5AM! If I take the dex as prescribed (10mg in the morning, 5mg at noon and 5mg around 3PM), I can just as well forget about sleeping the entire night even though I'll be too tired to even hold a conversation or get up to drink water -_-;;

I had hoped the Memantine would enhance the positive effects of the dex while not necessarily potentiating the crash and insomnia. I was perhaps naive and uninformed.

(Up until a week ago, I also supplemented with 270mg of magnesium glycinate, vitamin B complex, vitamin D, omega-3, zink, vitamin C and 1g of L-Tyrosine. I stopped with the supplements and I can't say that it has affected me in any way - if it has, it's too marginal for me to notice)

draft9chem
10-27-15, 02:47 PM
Sorry about taking so long to reply,

I find that memantine works best when dosed once a day, starting from 2.5mg first thing in the morning and tritrating up 2.5mg each week or every two weeks until you hit 15mg. That worked better for me than the BID and Surfedude found amazing results using once a day dosing, consistency is the hard part since it has to be taken at the same time everyday. If you get insomnia or real bad sides after two weeks on a certain dose, drop down and see what happens for another two weeks. Taking time to tritrate with memantine is the key to success and finding your optimal dose.