View Full Version : ADHD Coaching

nick123
09-08-13, 06:46 AM
Have you ever tried adhd coaching?
If so, coaching basically helped you? Which areas of your symptoms?
do you continue or not and why?

Daydreamin22
09-08-13, 07:16 PM
I can't imagine coaching not helping. I tried to find one but there is no one in my area that really knows much about adhd even. I assume they will be more populare in the future, since adhd is a relatively new field in the mental health world. I guess I could do it over the phone. Just never really was sure about it.

Nonzens
09-08-13, 08:57 PM
I think coaching will be much more helpful than therapy for most people with ADHD, but the mental health profession doesn't really like coaching, and our society as a whole thinks of coaching as a luxury rather than a basic need.

dogluver358
09-10-13, 05:48 PM
I haven't tried one simply because they're not covered by insurance and the one I found in my area charged $500-$700! I think it could help though. Part of the problem is that anyone can attend a class or three and call themselves a coach. I think if there were more stringent requirements and particular licenses that would help. Maybe they would eventually be covered by insurance in that case.

If I had the money I'd love to try one anyway. Just if you do, make sure they have plenty of experience and haven't just taken a fly-by-night course.

namazu
09-10-13, 06:20 PM
I've never worked with anyone who hung out a shingle and called themselves a "coach".

However, when I was in college, I was put in touch with a psychology grad student who did a lot of what a coach might do --

We met weekly for 30min.-1 hr. to figure out what I needed to get done and how I was going to try to do it.

The grad students charged about $40/hr., which is much cheaper than most coaches.

I didn't find the weekly meetings to be that successful, all told, because it was difficult for me to follow through over the week without some feedback. But at least it meant that once a week I was sitting down and thinking about how to spend my time, with someone else who actually had a sense of time and how to manage it (unlike me)!

Professional organizers sometimes serve similar functions as coaches, but more with space than with time -- what do you need?, where is it?, where should it be?, what can you get rid of?, do you really still need a receipt for a doughnut from 1992?...

In my experience in two cities (one on the East Coast, one in the Midwest, neither the biggest city around), professional organizers tend to run about $60-$70/hr. (And worth every cent, and then some, when you dig up a check you forgot to deposit, etc....)

My psychologist also helps me with some things that sometimes fall in the domain of "coaching" (in addition to "regular therapy") -- practical stuff like trying to add structure to my days, holding me accountable for things, and so on.

It's not quite as intensive as I picture good "coaching" being -- she doesn't call me every day to check in or anything -- but it's still useful, and covered by insurance.

So while I can't say I've tried honest-to-goodness "ADHD coaching", I've made use of a lot of services that overlap some of those functions.

Would it be helpful to have someone check in on me more often, cheer me on, keep a fire lit under my rear end, etc.? Sure.

But since coaching is out of most people's financial reach, it may be worth considering some of these other auxiliary services, which may be (slightly) easier on the wallet.

P.S. The same caveat dogluver mentioned applies to professional organizers as to coaches -- you don't need a license to call yourself one. Use online rating services, word of mouth, referrals from therapists or fellow ADHDers, and contact with the potential professionals to make sure you know what you're getting, and that it's something that will be worthwhile to you. Psychology grad students at least are on their way to becoming psychologists, but again, quality may vary, and it really only applies if you live near a college with a psychology program. Again, recommendations can come in very handy.

Daydreamin22
09-15-13, 11:03 PM
I haven't tried one simply because they're not covered by insurance and the one I found in my area charged $500-$700! I think it could help though. Part of the problem is that anyone can attend a class or three and call themselves a coach. I think if there were more stringent requirements and particular licenses that would help. Maybe they would eventually be covered by insurance in that case.

If I had the money I'd love to try one anyway. Just if you do, make sure they have plenty of experience and haven't just taken a fly-by-night course.

That would have to be one great session. Would take you like a month of prepare for it maybe. :) You could figure out if it's worth it. Which would take time as well.

anonymouslyadd
09-16-13, 12:01 AM
I did, and the person I worked with changed my life.

nick123
09-24-13, 02:32 PM
@anonymouslyadd

i think you can help me very much. Can you answer and the rest of the questions please?

"Which areas of your symptoms?
do you continue or not and why?"