View Full Version : How to Clean My Room?

BellaVita
09-08-13, 10:17 PM
I'm sure this has been asked a million times before...sorry lol.

My room has been "messy" for the past 4-5 years, mostly due to me being away at school and people have been using it as a storage room of sorts.

Anyway, I've gotten most of the "storage" stuff out, but now I'm left with a big mess that I've created with my *own* stuff.

Any tips for getting it clean? It's a disaster, *especially* after I removed everything from under my bed. Oh, and I've tried cleaning it for hours and hours, but have gotten nowhere. I obviously lack strategy.

This mess is driving my OCD(yes, I have OCD haha) crazy and making sleep more difficult than it already is.

(dvdnvwls I know you're out there.. Help? :p )

Thanks!! :thankyou:

dvdnvwls
09-08-13, 10:37 PM
My place is a total disaster. There's three chairs: one has been full of clothes and empty dresser drawers since the day after I moved in, the other is new and not unpacked from its little Ikea box, and the third one - well, I can't see it right now... ;) But telling other people how to fix their place is super easy. I don't know why. I'm a very special brand of idiot?

Anyway...

You say you've gotten nowhere. What would be "getting somewhere"?

ana futura
09-08-13, 10:44 PM
I think arranging things by type really helps. I would make several stacks- books here, knick knacks there, etc.

Once you have things arranged that way it looks less overwhelming. Then, deal with one type of thing at a time. If you have some empty boxes around, use them to help you seperate things.

I often find that the hardest part of cleaning up mess is just that it looks so overwhelming.

Daydreamin22
09-08-13, 10:48 PM
idk, but this might help a little bit

"Originally
Yes, it is definitely a characteristic of ADHD that it is more difficult for us to get housework done.

Things that help me:

1. Medication.

2. Figuring out what motivates me. For me it was music. So I put on music and sing and dance while cleaning. It really helps me.

3. Set a date and time. People with ADHD don't have the "It just needs to be done" brain switch. So it really helps if you have a date and time set, and you know you need to do it right then. I even set an alarm sometimes.

I work part-time, so with my ADHD counselor I worked out a housework schedulethat goes like this:
-I have an hour a day for picking up, dishes, laundry, and sweeping the floors on the days I work half-days,
-no housework on days I work full days, and
-one day of my two days off is for big cleaning, and I rotate the bathroom, mopping all the floors and dusting on that day.

Also I have a laundry day and a cat box day.

However, before I could get on that schedule we had to do a massive amount of cleaning and laundry, so now it's just upkeep and maintenance.

It took like two weeks to do all the laundry that was piled in the bedrooms and filling the closets. I still have some of that to put away, but now I've learned that we actually have too much clothes so we have to get rid of a bunch.

It's hard to tell what you have when most of it is under a five-foot-tall pile of dirty laundry.

And, um, that's a lot of pets...

Sounds like you have some hoarding tendencies.."

BellaVita
09-08-13, 10:55 PM
My place is a total disaster. There's three chairs: one has been full of clothes and empty dresser drawers since the day after I moved in, the other is new and not unpacked from its little Ikea box, and the third one - well, I can't see it right now... ;) But telling other people how to fix their place is super easy. I don't know why. I'm a very special brand of idiot?

Anyway...

You say you've gotten nowhere. What would be "getting somewhere"?

Haha, that's funny. It's okay, atleast you can help me! :giggle:

Yes, I've gotten "nowhere" cuz it seems I've hardly made a dent. I often get distracted by all of my "objects" and end up messing around. Oh, and I usually try to put stuff up that I've gotten out after I've used it, but I just have so much stuff out already that it stays a big mess.

You ask deep (cleaning :giggle:) questions...I think getting somewhere would be being able to see clear patches of my floor. Heh...[lol sorry for all the corny puns!]

Rebelyell
09-08-13, 10:55 PM
A dumpster n backpCk blower?

Rebelyell
09-08-13, 10:58 PM
My house is the wreck of the hesperass and half the time im so overwhelmed w the chaos I dont know where to start half the time.theres more to it but I dont feel l Iike talking about it right now.

dvdnvwls
09-08-13, 11:05 PM
Haha, that's funny. It's okay, atleast you can help me! :giggle:

Yes, I've gotten "nowhere" cuz it seems I've hardly made a dent. I often get distracted by all of my "objects" and end up messing around. Oh, and I usually try to put stuff up that I've gotten out after I've used it, but I just have so much stuff out already that it stays a big mess.

You ask deep (cleaning :giggle:) questions...I think getting somewhere would be being able to see clear patches of my floor. Heh...[lol sorry for all the corny puns!]
Don't apologize. If you asked all the people I know "What's he like?", you'd get quite a few different answers, but every one of them would say "Oh God the puns".

So... OK. I'm not that easy to persuade. Why do you want to see clear patches of floor?

BellaVita
09-08-13, 11:08 PM
I think arranging things by type really helps. I would make several stacks- books here, knick knacks there, etc.

Once you have things arranged that way it looks less overwhelming. Then, deal with one type of thing at a time. If you have some empty boxes around, use them to help you seperate things.

Good idea! Thanks I'll do that!

And yep have got boxes left over from the storage stuff. :)

I often find that the hardest part of cleaning up mess is just that it looks so overwhelming.

Yes. This. I get overwhelmed.

BellaVita
09-08-13, 11:13 PM
idk, but this might help a little bit

"Originally
Yes, it is definitely a characteristic of ADHD that it is more difficult for us to get housework done.

Things that help me:

1. Medication. check!

2. Figuring out what motivates me. For me it was music. So I put on music and sing and dance while cleaning. It really helps me. Good idea!

3. Set a date and time. People with ADHD don't have the "It just needs to be done" brain switch. So it really helps if you have a date and time set, and you know you need to do it right then. I even set an alarm sometimes. Hmm. Interesting idea..

I work part-time, so with my ADHD counselor I worked out a housework schedulethat goes like this:
-I have an hour a day for picking up, dishes, laundry, and sweeping the floors on the days I work half-days,
-no housework on days I work full days, and
-one day of my two days off is for big cleaning, and I rotate the bathroom, mopping all the floors and dusting on that day. Rotation. THAT's a good one, thanks.

Also I have a laundry day and a cat box day. Ah, another good one.

However, before I could get on that schedule we had to do a massive amount of cleaning and laundry, <----that's where I am :cool: so now it's just upkeep and maintenance. <-----but would like that.

It took like two weeks to do all the laundry that was piled in the bedrooms and filling the closets. I still have some of that to put away, but now I've learned that we actually have too much clothes so we have to get rid of a bunch.

It's hard to tell what you have when most of it is under a five-foot-tall pile of dirty laundry.

And, um, that's a lot of pets...

Sounds like you have some hoarding tendencies.."

I replied in the quote with bold lettering. Thanks! :thankyou:

Fraser_0762
09-08-13, 11:13 PM
Hire a man b**ch to do your bidding. ;)

BellaVita
09-08-13, 11:14 PM
A dumpster n backpCk blower?

Hahahaha, I wish! :lol:

My house is the wreck of the hesperass and half the time im so overwhelmed w the chaos I dont know where to start half the time.theres more to it but I dont feel l Iike talking about it right now.

Yeah, I feel ya'. :grouphug:

BellaVita
09-08-13, 11:16 PM
Don't apologize. If you asked all the people I know "What's he like?", you'd get quite a few different answers, but every one of them would say "Oh God the puns".

So... OK. I'm not that easy to persuade. Why do you want to see clear patches of floor?

Is this a trick question? :scratch: Lol, cuz 1) it's easier to walk through a clear foor and 2) It looks nicer and doesn't overwhelm me like a cluttered floor does.

I should probably mention, my floor is the messiest bit in my room. My counter and drawers are pretty clean/organized.

BellaVita
09-08-13, 11:17 PM
Hire a man b**ch to do your bidding. ;)

LOL! Don't have the cash. And don't like other people touching my stuff. ;)

Tinatheawesome
09-08-13, 11:29 PM
You can buy bins to put things inside and use it as storage that way less junk.

dvdnvwls
09-08-13, 11:51 PM
Is this a trick question? :scratch:
No, I'm just kind of dense, and/or socially-perverse. If there are things that belong on the floor, then IMO they should stay on the floor. If you "put them away" into somewhere they don't belong, and then you end up putting them back on the floor where they do belong, then you just wasted your time and energy shuffling your items when you could have been doing something useful, or something fun.

Don't clean up yet; this will only take a couple of minutes.

Look at the stuff that's on the floor. What categories do the things belong to? Why is it those things that ended up on the floor? Is there a better place for them - or is there just a different place that's actually no better?

Example: There's a big huge pile of books on the floor near my bed. There is a better place for those: I have a bookshelf. (Sideways, in six pieces, but I have a bookshelf.) :)

There's also a pair of slippers and a pair of shoes on the floor near my bed. There is NOT a better place for those: when I go to bed it's easy for me to put them there, and it's easy to put them on again when I get up.

So, put things in better places, where they really belong, or else don't waste your time. Putting stuff that doesn't belong on the floor, into another place where it also doesn't belong, is a really dumb game. :)

OK, now comes the deep philosophy. ;)

Unless you have a lot of hooks dangling from the ceiling, pretty much everything in your house is on the floor. Think about it. :cool: :) :yes: :giggle: :scratch:

ana futura
09-09-13, 12:05 AM
So, put things in better places, where they really belong, or else don't waste your time. Putting stuff that doesn't belong on the floor, into another place where it also doesn't belong, is a really dumb game. :)

I really have to disagree with this, at least for me.

I suppose it depends on the nature of your mess, but my floor tends to just be a giant pile of crap. Taking once piece out of the pile and putting it away, one at a time, just sucks. I will never find the motivation to finish, because everything happens so slowly. If i can quickly sort into piles by type, and then put those things away, I think it goes much faster, and I can see the progress, which is hugely important for me.

Smaller messes, like my kitchen counters, or the living room floor (which never gets as messy as the bedroom) i will do each piece at a time, straight to where it goes. But in cases of overwhelm, where it looks like 15 closets threw up, the piles make it much easier.

Or maybe that's not what you were saying?

I assume that in BellaVita's case (like mine) nothing on the floor belongs there. It is just a 2 foot high pile of crap that all has a better place it should go. The problem isn't knowing where the thing goes, it's keeping yourself on track while you put the things away, without giving up or getting immensely depressed in the middle.

dvdnvwls
09-09-13, 12:08 AM
If the piles are sorted by category, and there is some kind of logic to where they end up, then we're not disagreeing very badly.

dvdnvwls
09-09-13, 12:12 AM
ana futura: I also think it would be easy to prove that your place is better organized than mine. Maybe that clinches it.

ana futura
09-09-13, 12:13 AM
If the piles are sorted by category, and there is some kind of logic to where they end up, then we're not disagreeing very badly.

I think i actually didn't really understand what you are saying.

dvdnvwls
09-09-13, 12:15 AM
There are people (not you) who will simply jam stuff into boxes/closets/etc just to "get it off the floor". That's what is pointless IMO. Except if Someone Special will be here in five minutes and there's no other way.

ana futura
09-09-13, 12:16 AM
ana futura: I also think it would be easy to prove that your place is better organized than mine. Maybe that clinches it.

No way, no one is less organized than me. I'll send you photos.

I have mad organizational skills though. I have the know-how, just not the self discipline to not throw things on the floor. When I do clean up, things look awesome. For a day. My biggest problem is that i am unlearning some hoarding behaviors, which takes time.

ana futura
09-09-13, 12:17 AM
There are people (not you) who will simply jam stuff into boxes/closets/etc just to "get it off the floor". That's what is pointless IMO. Except if Someone Special will be here in five minutes and there's no other way.

Oh, okay, got it. Yes, i save that technique for house guests and moving only. I have about 20 of those boxes waiting to be gone through at the moment.

dvdnvwls
09-09-13, 12:34 AM
No way, no one is less organized than me. I'll send you photos.

I have mad organizational skills though. I have the know-how, just not the self discipline to not throw things on the floor. When I do clean up, things look awesome. For a day. My biggest problem is that i am unlearning some hoarding behaviors, which takes time.
You and I obviously qualify as "very different from each other", and yet in some small ways we are like long-lost siblings. :)

ana futura
09-09-13, 12:41 AM
You and I obviously qualify as "very different from each other", and yet in some small ways we are like long-lost siblings. :)

I assume that you are like my partner, who can not organize for crap, but is also somehow always cleaner than me. She just can't figure out how to arrange things in a logical fashion and vertical space is an absolute mystery to her.

So when she puts things on the floor it's because she really doesn't know where to put the thing.

When I put things on the floor it's because i just threw them down in a heap, because actually putting things away would require me to take two minutes out of my busy day doing nothing.

stef
09-09-13, 12:42 AM
bella:
is all of this stuff you want to keep?
if not get a big shopping bag for things to donate and a medium garbage bag, sift through everything: keep, donate, throw away
put all of the keep stuff on the bed and sort thematically. dont think too much about the categories, that doensnt matter.
its never goignto be oerfect forget about that! the idea is to be able to find things when you need them.

ana futura
09-09-13, 12:48 AM
bella:
is all of this stuff you want to keep?
if not get a big shopping bag for things to donate and a medium garbage bag, sift through everything: keep, donate, throw away
put all of the keep stuff on the bed and sort thematically. dont think too much about the categories, that doensnt matter.
its never goignto be oerfect forget about that! the idea is to be able to find things when you need them.

Oh god, but the agonizing about the keeping and the giving away! That adds a whole extra week onto the process :doh:

And then there is always the chance that the give away bag will make it's way out of the car and back into the house in a moment of weakness!

When i do sort things out to get rid of I always have to have a "maybe" pile so I don't side tracked on especially difficult choices. But that's cause I'm anxious.

ana futura
09-09-13, 12:50 AM
I'm actually cleaning my room as we speak. My number one piece of advice would be to not be on ADDF.

dvdnvwls
09-09-13, 01:06 AM
I assume that you are like my partner, who can not organize for crap, but is also somehow always cleaner than me. She just can't figure out how to arrange things in a logical fashion and vertical space is an absolute mystery to her.

So when she puts things on the floor it's because she really doesn't know where to put the thing.

When I put things on the floor it's because i just threw them down in a heap, because actually putting things away would require me to take two minutes out of my busy day doing nothing.
No, I'm totally unlike your partner, and much like you.

InvitroCanibal
09-26-14, 04:23 PM
10 steps to cleaning your room

Step 1
Throw everything out that you do not need.
Step 2
Yes..everything, including that old shirt you never wear but may someday wear, or those random wires laying around but you forget where they go, or all the pieces that seem to be missing their place or spot.
Step 3
You should have cleared counters,shelves, and desks at this point, if not, see steps 1 and 2. At step 3 wipe all the shelves down, I like using Windex personally. Great duster. Don't breathe too deeply
Step 4
Find the vacuum...it has to be here somewhere right?
Step 5
You found the vacuum, good....now... that thing works right? ...Crap...
Step 6
Go to the store and get a vacuum
Step 7
Put your dog (or cat) through hell by running the vacuum. Use this time to make vacuuming enjoyable by chasing your dog or cat with the vacuum, but don't vacuum up the cat.
Step 8
Yes you're not done yet...put the vacuum away, put away the trash bags, take out the trash, load the dirty dishes in the dishwasher, put away the old ones that are still in the dishwasher etc.
Step 9
Nope nope, still not done, you need to make your bed, change the sheets and covers..if there are sheets and covers, do laundry etc
Step 10
Take a moment to relax and enjoy the space you found out exists in your room. Also consider cleaning that weird stain on the side of the wall....that thing is gross..whatever it is

Ahhh everythings done, see feels much better doesn't it?

Where's the cat!?

psychopathetic
03-11-15, 06:22 AM
haha...does it make me an awful person that I find it quite delightful that you've got such a messy room? :lol:

I just find it funny and cute how much you and I (and a LOT of people here at ADDF) relate...and I love that people I look up to so highly here (like yourself) have some of the same issues that I do (like messy rooms! lol).

(((Bells The Mess Maker))) :giggle:

Little Missy
03-11-15, 02:40 PM
Nice and tidy at my joint but the dust is building...:eyebrow:

Chicky75
03-11-15, 05:43 PM
Ugh, I'm going through this right now... I FINALLY cleaned my desk at work (and now am almost afraid to do work in case I mess it up again :lol:). I've also spent a lot of time over the past two months or so staying at either my parents house or a friend's, both of which are very clean and organized. All of which makes me kind of cringe to go home to my mess. :o

I'm attempting to do the sorting things by category & then dealing with it a little at a time, but it's still slow going.

GeordieDave
03-11-15, 06:33 PM
Ohhh no...! I'm a clean freak! As a child and in my teens I was messy but now I can stand mess!

Little Missy
03-11-15, 06:44 PM
Ohhh no...! I'm a clean freak! As a child and in my teens I was messy but now I can stand mess!

Me neither, but the dusting thing is seriously bad.

GeordieDave
03-12-15, 04:20 AM
Me neither, but the dusting thing is seriously bad.

Haha I'm looking over to my TV in my room and I can see a layer of dust! It's my day off, I've now got something to do instead of sitting in bed all day!