View Full Version : The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD

RicardoBogie
09-09-13, 09:26 AM
A book by Lidia Zylowska, a psychiatrist who specializes in mindfulness approaches to mental health.

I told my therapist that I would keep this book close by for the rest of my existence: its that good. It gives concrete and practical ways to strengthen executive function. Its about achieving your goals whatever they may be.

Its hugely recommended by Ed Hallowell.

The library has a copy, however, I need to review the material and do the exercises on a regular basis. So I bought this book and I'm so glad I did.

Daydreamin22
09-09-13, 04:05 PM
Hi, maybe you could make copies of the pages, or download an e book or the kindle for computers. I just found out by some of the moderators on here that next to medication, the number one treatment for adhd is meditation.

sarek
09-10-13, 05:20 AM
Mindfulness and other methods to achieve self awareness can be an extremely powerful tool to explore one's ultimate growth potential.

RicardoBogie
09-10-13, 09:07 AM
Sarek,

Mindfulness is very powerful indeed.

It is helpful on so many fronts: virtually all of the executive functions as well as self-regulation.

Studies are confirming that mindfulness directly impacts attention control, stress reduction, emotional regulation and memory.

As if that wasn't enough, Dr Heleen Slatger, from your neck of the woods, ( U of Amsterdam ) added that long term meditators can process incoming information more efficiently than non meditators.
The studies are ongoing and its becoming clear that mindfulness meditation has a very positive impact on neuro-plasticity. No wonder there is such enthusiastic endorsement of this book by people like Ed Hallowell who refers to the work as "ground breaking".

ana futura
09-10-13, 11:25 AM
I love that Zylowska book. It comes with a CD of meditations, but they're too short once you get used to meditating.

There are a bunch of free longer guided meditations here-
http://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/mindfulness/mbsr/Pages/audio.aspx

I also recommend checking out John Kabat Zinn and Jack Kornfield's books.