View Full Version : THE FEINGOLD DIET for ADHD

Blanched Dubois
09-11-13, 11:56 AM
The Feingold Diet is not a cure-all or stand-alone answer but it can help, perhaps combined with testing for food allergies, arranging a success-oriented environment and /or ADHD medications.

It's the artificial ingredients and chemicals that you should avoid. Here is a list of items to avoid in your food, medicine, toothpaste and drinks.

The Feingold Program eliminates these additives:
Artificial (synthetic) coloring
Artificial (synthetic) flavoring
Aspartame (Nutrasweet, an artificial sweetener)
Artificial (synthetic) preservatives BHA, BHT, TBHQ

A word about sugar:
Sugar is not necessarily to be omitted from your diet. Cane sugar is the best type tolerated by children. Most people also handle beet sugar pretty well. If you see a sugar that doesn't say what kind it is, assume it is beet sugar. Some folks don't handle corn syrup very well because it contains high levels of sulfite (an additive used in production). It's hard to go without sugar if you like to eat desserts, so try cane sugar as your first "add back in" item after a month of cleansing. If it causes a problem, detox a month and then try beet sugar.

For cooking for the family at home, it's easiest to put everyone on the diet. (unless you don't mind being a waitress and taking multiple orders). This also keeps the the ADHD person from feeling different or ostracized.

Start out the Feingold diet by elimating everything on the no-no list completely for a month or two. It's a back-to-basics way of eating. Buy fresh or frozen fruits and veggies. Cook your own unprocessed meats. If possible, stay this way for life - it's healthier for you anyway. If you feel the need to eat something that you've been avoiding, try it (and nothing else from the list) after the detox period for one month and see if there's any change.

Post a list in your kitchen of what fruits, veggies and meats the family likes. You can slowly add to the list any avoided items after a successful 1 month trial. Use this list as your shopping list and meal planner.

Good Luck!

Colin
09-11-13, 01:54 PM
Ive found avoiding processed things has improved my well being considerably. weening myself of soda was a long painful experience, but well worth it and caffeine too.

definitely sweetener is worth avoiding at all cost. It mimics sugar such that it tastes sweet, but it mimics it in the body too so your body gets fooled into lowering your blood sugar level. apparently it can easily be fatal in dogs, which is how come I learned about it.

I don't feel any of this benefit to me personally is really specific to ADHD, other than when you've got ADHD it can be small things which can make or break you. I do it because its healthy and I want to get my blood pressure down and such. Its also got rid of my heartburn. I know parents who swear that food colouring or sugar is the cause of ADHD, why do we live in a world were we make foods which partially poison us ?

I try and go for the mediterranean diet as much as possible, with fresh meat and veggies (no red meat), as Ive heard a lot of science that shows its associated with the best health.

meadd823
09-11-13, 02:57 PM
I think synthetic any thing made in a lab should be out of our general food supply period, I shall endeavor to leave it at that - Allergy suffers and those who are digestive sensitive {read picky eater with multiple food sensitivities} may find elimination diets good in that they may allow the GI tracts aspect of the body to be less inflamed and thus able to absorb more nutrients - Being unable to absorb the nutrients in food can cause deficiencies many of which can mimic ADHD in other wise normal people - In those of us who are already ADHD it makes our symptoms worse and may impeded the effectiveness of medications.

As an autoimmune suffer I have recently found decreasing gluten to be of value - I am still ADHD but less of a flatus filled ADHDer which does not do much for my attention span but does seem to help the attention span of those in my immediate enviroment :o

MarciaD
09-12-13, 01:22 PM
The Feingold Program also eliminates salicylates (some fruits/veggies). The diet has 2 stages and it is Stage One where they are eliminated. After 4-6 wks of good results those salicylates are added back one at at time. The best thing to do is to join the Feingold Assoc. so that you know that the products you use are okay - label reading isn't the way to go because there are too many loopholes where the additives sneak in. The org has a 300+ page book of products by brand name, handbook, etc. Check out the Facebook page and the Yahoo group too.